Maybe this is a better place
In keeping with the previous post I'll offer this question. As Bud correctly posted the rules on carry in MI
"Beginning July 1, 2001, individuals licensed to carry a concealed pistol by Michigan or another state will be prohibited from carrying a concealed pistol in the following areas:
1. Schools or school property but may carry while in a vehicle on school property while dropping off or picking up if a parent or legal guardian
2. Public or private day care center, public or private child caring agency, or public or private child placing agency.
3. Sports arena or stadium
4. A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises
5. Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official allows concealed weapons
6. An entertainment facility that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more
7. A hospital
8. A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university
9. A Casino
10. Premises does not include parking areas of the above places"
Rule number 8 is a little hazy in my mind. It specifically cites "A dormitory or classroom" of a college. It seems if it is this specific about where on a college one can carry that it would leave some places on a college as allowable places such as parking lots, on campus but not in a dorm or classroom (just walking around), or in an on campus restaurant.
I'd like to clarify that on the state of MI's web page michigan.gov under bill 750.235a section 4b that a "school" is defined as "a public, private, denominational, or parochial school offering developemental kindergarten, kindergarten, or any grade from one through twelve". Under that definition then in the above listed rules for carry in MI, rule 1 refers to "schools" so rule 8 is exclusively about colleges and universities.
So to reclarify I'm asking if anybody else reads rule 8
"A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university"
which is listed under illegal places to carry, and sees that it only lists dorms and classrooms, which would allow for carry on campus but not in those two venues.
I understand this is confusing and I had a bit of a hard time forming my thoughts on this issue. My instructor in my class explained it that in MI we were allowed to carry on campus just not in those two places. I'm really just trying to sort out this because it's a bit hazy in my mind and being a college student it's of relative importance to me. Just FYI I do not carry on campus at all right now and never have, but after the shooting had to do a lot of evaluating on my position. My answer right now is I signed a contract with MSU to not intentionally break their rules so I can't carry because that would be on purpose.
I sincerely appreciate how dedicated this forum is to getting things right from a legal standpoint, and hope I haven't caused to much trouble