Defensive Carry banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
History dear friends. History, how soon it is forgotten.

Rome tried it's best to erase Him and His followers. In 270 years the empire officially turned to Him and the emperor became one of His followers.

The Soviets tried to banish Him. They struggled in vain to suppress Him and His followers. The first private assemblies in the former USSR, after the collapse, were...His followers.

The Chinese Communists attempted to erase Him. China now has the world's largest population of Christians. When China collapses, His followers will still be there.

Everywhere it has been tried, it is more like throwing gasoline on the fire. Stomp away BLM.
Yes, BLM is taking on the wrong group if they think Christians and Jews will sit by quietly while they are attacked.

·
Registered
977 Posts
One of the founders of BLM can be found with a simple search saying they are trained Marxist's and well versed in certain political ideologies.

That's all I need to know after looking around the world and seeing all the liberty, peace and prosperity Marxism has brought to the world. Same game trying to be played here in the USA.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It had to come to this. BLM activist Shaun King has said that all statues, paintings and stained glass depictions of Jesus that depict Him as a white man are racist and should be torn down. I would guess that is most of the depictions of Jesus in the world. King claims to be an ordained Christian minister.

King is a tragically interesting, but unfortunately influential, character. His birth certificate says both his parents are white, but he has always identified as bi-racial. He says his mother told him that his real father was a light skinned black man she had an affair with. He claims that he is the victim of racist slander over his ethnicity and compares himself to Barack Obama on that issue.

King went to a traditionally all black college on an Oprah Winfrey scholarship. He worked for the Sanders campaign in 2016. He is now a big deal in BLM. FWIW, he has been an outspoken critic of the Democratic Party, pointing our correctly that the cities with the worst police brutality records are run by Democrats. I will give him that.

I have no specific opinion about Mr King, but I have to agree with him on principal. Jesus was not a white European, so depicting him as such is not historically accurate.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have no specific opinion about Mr King, but I have to agree with him on principal. Jesus was not a white European, so depicting him as such is not historically accurate.
You are correct. However, there is a longstanding tradition of Jesus being portrayed with different ethnic characteristics depending on the geographic area and preferences of the local clergy and congregation, to make His depiction more relatable. There are statues of angels also. We have no idea what they look like.

You could compare it to the reading of the Gospels. Many are translated into English from Greek. But Jesus spoke Aramaic. As far as I know, only the Maronite Church reads the Gospels in Aramaic and even that is back-translated. And there is no getting around the fact that translations change the meaning of the original, no matter how learned and inspired the translators were.

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
I'm pretty sure I read "somewhere" that Jesus was a Jew.

I've seen thousands of depictions of Jesus and no two are the same.

Technically, Jesus was Caucasian. I don't care what color he's portrayed as because, unlike King, I'm not a racist.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The tradition of images of Jesus, the Holy Family in general, and so forth being depicted in a way that is like the ethnicity of the area in which these images come from points to the larger truth--that Jesus became Man, ie "one of us", which is far more important than trying to figure out the "historically accurate" depiction. A quick image search can turn up a variety of ethnic images, each one a beautiful presentation of that "one of us" truth.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
You are correct. However, there is a longstanding tradition of Jesus being portrayed with different ethnic characteristics depending on the geographic area and preferences of the local clergy and congregation, to make His depiction more relatable. There are statues of angels also. We have no idea what they look like.

You could compare it to the reading of the Gospels. Many are translated into English from Greek. But Jesus spoke Aramaic. As far as I know, only the Maronite Church reads the Gospels in Aramaic and even that is back-translated. And there is no getting around the fact that translations change the meaning of the original, no matter how learned and inspired the translators were.
Wrong verb tense...not were...ARE. Most clergy, who attend a seminary, get the pleasure of learning ancient Greek and the nightmare of trying to learn Hebrew. Part of the job of a preacher is to translate the original Scriptures into language that speaks to the listeners. I read from a few modern translations, but when it came time to deal with individual words, I always used the original languages.

Most people would be shocked to see how close many of the modern translations are to the best and closest-to-original manuscripts we have. Remember the OT is still being used in the original language - same words. As for the NT, Ancient Greek is a language that was as universal as English is today. Not everyone spoke Aramaic, even when it was popular. And the early church pastors preached in Greek and they did as I described in going back to original manuscripts / letters and painstakingly transcribed sermons. However we have very, very accurate Greek manuscripts of the NT that date from 30 years after the events themselves. No one questions the OT anymore.

You do have to be careful you don't buy a paraphrase Bible though. Those are exactly what they advertise. And just a note, we have literally thousands of ancient manuscripts that had not been found in 1611.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
These “culture crusaders” and the cancel culture crowd are very close ideologically to terrorism and jihadism. Although I’m not sure they know it.

In communism, there is no opportunity for other beliefs. It’s their way or no way. This is very similar to Islam, although their polarity is to convert or die. This has not changed in 1300 years, and although some moderate Muslims will claim its the religion of peace...it is unequivocally an ideological absolute of Islam. They want everyone to think like them, or die.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The tradition of images of Jesus, the Holy Family in general, and so forth being depicted in a way that is like the ethnicity of the area in which these images come from points to the larger truth--that Jesus became Man, ie "one of us", which is far more important than trying to figure out the "historically accurate" depiction. A quick image search can turn up a variety of ethnic images, each one a beautiful presentation of that "one of us" truth.
And that makes sense, but in today's diverse world I can see why it also causes animosity when different ethnicities are "sharing" the same image.

It would not hurt anyone to have an honest conversation to reevaluate if any particular piece of artwork represents what it is meant to and make a decision from there. Doesn't mean we should be going around destroying all our artwork, religious or otherwise though.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
@BigFish Where are you going to find a photograph so that you can have an honest conversation?

·
Registered
34,034 Posts
And that makes sense, but in today's diverse world I can see why it also causes animosity when different ethnicities are "sharing" the same image.

It would not hurt anyone to have an honest conversation to reevaluate if any particular piece of artwork represents what it is meant to and make a decision from there. Doesn't mean we should be going around destroying all our artwork, religious or otherwise though.
This "art" has never offended me, and I see no reason to sit down and have a conversation about it.

Reactions: msgt/ret
21 - 32 of 32 Posts