Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Sig P238 almost 2 years ago and its been really reliable at the range. I trust it so much that this is what I pocket carry. Due to work and weather, I can only pocket carry and that's fine. Lately I've been wondering if I should trade in my Sig for something in 9mm. Knowing that my little Sig has been ultra reliable and I carry it everywhere, is it worth bumping up to a 9mm? It would have to be really close to the Sig's unloaded weight (15 oz.) as this is MY pocket carry comfort zone (yours may vary- no cargo shorts). Thanks for any advice (even the sarcastic ones)!

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Sounds like you are happy with what you have. Hang onto it. If you want a 9MM, bite the bullet and get one but don't get rid off the 380 if you are happy with it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The P-238 is a fine, fine pistol and if you are comfortable with it, I would keep it; I did... However if you feel compelled to get something different the 938 as suggested above, would be a logical route. You could also entertain a Ruger LC9 but if you are use to Sig quality, you might not be so happy. Nothing wrong what so ever with Ruger by the way. Outstanding customer service.

Be well!

Reactions: Rhcmlc

·
Registered
414 Posts
I own the P238 which my wife has carried for a year, and I now carry the P938 which I do love but it's a little larger, which may or may not be a problem. Especially if you use the 6+1 mag instead of the extended 7+1 mag. I like the fact the 938 has a stiffer recoil spring making it harder to push it out of battery compared to the P238. I feel pretty safe carrying the .380 as long as the ammo is the stronger stuff like the Hornady CD but the 9mm with the Critical Duty ammo is stunning in the power it delivers on the target. It almost does more damage to a string of water bottles than my 45ACP XDs and has way more penetration than the 45ACP. The 938 in my opinion shoots like a tiny 1911 combat pistol. I just can't think of another 9mm micro size on the market that would make you almost as happy as the 238. Especially since you like that design and operation. I just wanted to weigh in since I actually shoot and carry both models and have at least 3000 rounds downrange with the P938. By the way my 938 does fit the Desantis ankle holster for my wife's 238. It works in her pocket holster somewhat okay. It almost fits her belt holster but has a little trouble with the front sight. The 938 is about 3/16" longer and the grip is deeper from front to back. It fits in my pocket but not quite as comfortable as the 238 and a little heavier of course. The biggest difference in the two guns size is not the front slide part but the grip and back part of the gun. I usually carry the 938 with a BRAIDS belt slide holster and two magazines in my left front pocket. I feel very capable inside 45 feet of defending myself in a violent fury. I do not feel under equipped at all.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all of you for the great advice, especially GeorgiaShooter. I was thinking of giving my wife the P238 and buying a 938. She really enjoys the soft shooting P238.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
Get a Sig P938 or a Springfield XD-s.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
You mentioned weight, which is indeed important for pocket carry. Simply put, there is NO reliable pocket 9mm that weighs what a .380 does.

If you want more "power" I would suggest a light weight revolver, like the LCR.

But really, I would suggest you be happy with what you have.

Reactions: gottabkiddin

·
Registered
42,103 Posts
I tend to stick with what I'm comfortable with and not jump at everything new that comes along. My usual carrys are a Glock 30 or a 6906. It's a matter of if I want heavier or more. I don't pocket carry, but if I did I'd want the smallest, lightest, most reasonable caliber available.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Well........

I just offloaded a 238 Scorpion. No real issues, except how plumb picky it was about ammo. A 938 wouldn't be so terrible bad. I guess I'd rather have a 9 than a 380, so long as I wasn't forced to use Critical Defense and that's all. So it was with my 238.

A pocket gun for me anymore would be a j frame.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I've tried all kinds of pocket options, and I've come back to the LCP for my pocket carry needs..loaded as follows. Two ranger Ts and a FMJ, then another two rangers followed by another FMJ, finished off with a ranger T. Show me any bad guy that'll be standing after that payload gets dumped into um and I'll concede the point that a .380 isn't enough gun. Heads up there though, there's plenty "O" guys who are sporting a toe tag that made that assumption.:wink:

I'd say if the 238 works for ya stick with it. I like mine just fine, but really prefer the DAO trigger system for my defense guns, so the LCP or one of the others gets the majority of carry use.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We have both: My wife carries a 238 and I carry a 938. They both have extended magazines and both are loaded with 7+1 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense. Using my electronic scale that measures to 1/10th of an ounce, the P938 weighs exactly 21 ounces loaded and the P238 weighs in at exactly 18 ounces. The size differential is inconsequential. The 938 is less than a half inch longer and taller and the same width. If you like the P238, you'll like the P938.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I carry a Nano and while it's been completely reliable I'm flirting with the notion of picking up a 938 when I can. Deep down I'm just an old-school, cocked-and-locked single action auto kind of guy. My Nano is great but if the Sig worked well then I'd be able to run Condition One across all the platforms that I carry.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Easy8 I just gave my Sig P250 to my son, now that is a bigger gun for sure and if you get a good P938 or P238 they can both be stone cold reliable. I run both of ours hard including rapid fire. There's not a pistol on earth that wont have an ammo issue at times. If one cannot instantly handle malfunctions they should carry revolver. You cannot defend with any pistol and not train for stove pipes, ftf, magazines popping loose and all those things that happen with even the best Glock.

Phaedrus, yeah if you blend well with a 1911, the 938 is a breeze. I steer some people away from it when they don't like that design of operation.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
We have both: My wife carries a 238 and I carry a 938. They both have extended magazines and both are loaded with 7+1 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense. Using my electronic scale that measures to 1/10th of an ounce, the P938 weighs exactly 21 ounces loaded and the P238 weighs in at exactly 18 ounces. The size differential is inconsequential. The 938 is less than a half inch longer and taller and the same width. If you like the P238, you'll like the P938.
What's the recoil difference like? Would your wife be able to shoot the 938 reliably and comfortably?

My girlfriend is eyeing the P938 and I'm the slightest bit hesitant. I would prefer her get the P938 over a P238 but I'm just curious how different the recoil. I'm confident she'll be able to handle it when she puts her mind to it.

I'm figuring worst case scenario would be she doesn't like it, and I'll take it off her hands and replace it with a P238. lol.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I carry a P238 most of the time in hot weather. I have the P250 and the P938 that I carry when I am wearing different cloths. I like them all and I have been thinking about a Sig P290 RS. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368703475.823269.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts