Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else here just prefer the "old style" 1911's to what some companies offer nowadays? It may just be myself, but much of the additions seem to be just added cost....ambi safety's, forward cocking serrations, what have you. I can understand the Beavertails with some folks who have larger hands. I happen to have pretty small hands, so it's never been an issue for me.

For this reason I went with a stock SA GI 1911. I've always loved John Browning's design and it's long history is its own testament. The only things I have done to this particular pistol, were to install an 18# recoil spring, (I ony shoot 230gr anyway), changed out the grips to a pair of my liking, and have 3-Dot hi vis sights where the low pros used to be. I've had this shooter since late Sept. and love it more each time I shoot it. It handles everything from Gold Dots to CCI Blazer with ease and the only problems I've experienced with it were with Rem. UMC Green Box FMJ's. I just think the gun DOES NOT like these rounds, with FTF and FTE's.

Are there any more out there who just prefer a more "Simple" platform for their daily carry?

Jake

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
For me i got to have the Ambi safety

The Forward holster shredders they can leave off along with FL-guide rods and rails..

Must admit i like the Novak Night sights on my Springfield though but i could even live with out them... just got to have ambi safety .. Beavertail is a must on some guns to some get me with hammer-bite others don't

·
Registered
737 Posts
The only 'upgrades' I will consider on a 1911 are an extended thumb safety, three-dot sights and a beavertail. Everything else is unnecessary.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I'll fess up Bud. I REALLY dig the Novak sights and may eventually have some put on my GI.....please don't let it know!!! :gah:

Jake

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
What is it Jeff Cooper said once that the only things the 1911 really needs are sights you can see, a trigger you can manage, and maybe a dehorning job? I'dd add the ambidextrous safety for certain people, heck I'm right handed and I think the ambi safety makes a lot of sense for anybody.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Simple is really nice, but there is something about a nicely done up custom 1911 (especially those by John Jardine).

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Before the loading up of MIM and sometimes plastic parts in these platforms I would agree and would take them all day long for carry. So this forces me into the higher dollar custom stuff if going with a 1911 for my taste.

Ti.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
I don't carry a 1911 but do very much like my old 1927 Colt Sistema - it has a traditional look and feel. Just that durned foresight I hate!!

I rather wish I still had the P12-45 I had but that was a sorta ''special'' case and in a different league really. Overall I do favor the essential grace and simplicity of the good ol Gov't A1.

·
Super Moderator
22,268 Posts
Euc,

Very close friend :hand10:

"... We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes." ... Jeff Cooper
The better one knows the manual of arms for the 1911, the more you'll see the good Colonel was correct, as usual. :wink:

·
Registered
262 Posts
P95Carry said:
I don't carry a 1911 but do very much like my old 1927 Colt Sistema - it has a traditional look and feel. Just that durned foresight I hate!!

P95Carry, I have one (1927 Sistema) that I really dig and the only thing I don not like about it is the hammer bite. In stock trim my old girl is very accurate and will feed anything I tried up to this point.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Adrian - funny thing is (famous last words!) I never seem to have suffered hammer bite from my Sistema, BHP - in fact any semi I have yet owned or shot!! Must be something to do with grip and hand web etc.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I carry my SA G.I. very often. The only thing I did to it was put some paint on the sights. I can see my sights just fine, with the neon paint. Ill probably get it dehorned, when it needs the Parkerised finish redone. Possibly even new sights, I want to shoot a 1911 with larger sights before I make my mind up.
It came with nice grips, with no cheesy U.S. stamp on it. So, its cosmetically good looking also :cool:

U.S. servicemen never needed bells and whistles. I figure, why should I?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Give me the plain, basic 1911 anytime. Having said that, I'll probably get grief for the fancy bob-tail frame, diferent checkering, and maybe the extended safety and night sights,on my carry gun, but in my hand, and functionally, it's the same as my Colt '43 vintage 1911.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I thought it was "sights you can see, a trigger you can manage, and a weapon that is 100% reliable"?

That being said, I like the new breed of 1911 designs, save for a few (two-tones). Each serves a purpose. Keeping an absolutely bone stock is boring IMO. A collector grade 1911 is a different story.

·
Super Moderator
22,268 Posts
Jeff Cooper's Commentaries
Vol. 12, No. 3, March 2004

False Winter

On a much more practical level, we noted a profusion of what may be called "1911 clones" manufactured by various sorts of gunmakers in response to the understanding that a properly designed, major caliber service pistol answers an ongoing need. Most of you who read this now own one or more serviceable pistols of this type, so reproduction has little appeal for you. However it is interesting to see how the handgun revolution of the 20th century evolved. In 1920 no one had any use for the "Yankee Fist." Today it is obvious that the need is there. I am often asked which manufacturer I favor, and I have no clear answer to this. Quality control changes from time to time, and I do not have sufficient statistical base for an opinion. We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
http://www.dvc.org.uk/jeff/jeff12_3.html

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
On my SA GI:

slim checkered wood grips (fit my hand better)
Flat MSH (points better for me)

Still need an ambi safety ( Im a lefty)
Gonna get slightly bigger sights ( old eyes)

That should do it. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
22,268 Posts
AK,

Nice, very clean lines.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
One of the great things about today's 1911's are the abundance of choices in 1911's out there and the fact that many come with precisely those things the good Colonel said were necessary in a 1911.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts