Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'm getting ready to order a stealthgear onyx ventcore IWB holster to try out and I'm not sure which I should get. The standard size onyx ventcore IWB or the new mini size onyx ventcore IWB? Will be used with a Glock 23. Anyone who uses stealthgear holsters have any advice / suggestions? I'd rather not spend $200 to try them both and then have to pay return shipping to send whichever one I don't like back if I can avoid doing so. If it matters I'm 6'1 and 195 pounds just average built not athletic or skinny.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recently got the mini for a p938 and really like it. However I think if I was using it with a bigger pistol I would want the full size holster to disperse the weight a little more on my belt. But with the size of the 938 I really like the mini because it is about as minimal of a hybrid 2 clip holster I have found

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently got the mini for a p938 and really like it. However I think if I was using it with a bigger pistol I would want the full size holster to disperse the weight a little more on my belt. But with the size of the 938 I really like the mini because it is about as minimal of a hybrid 2 clip holster I have found
So your opinion for me would be to get the regular size then for a Glock 23 since it's basically the next size up gun from your 938? One thought I had for the mini was I have been considering trying to carry around 2-2:30 position and I thought the mini might fit there better but idk. I'll also be using 3:30-5 as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I carry my 4" 1911 in the Stealthgear Mini when I go IWB and don't have any issues with it. I don't have the full size so I don't have anything to compare it to though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I carry my 4" 1911 in the Stealthgear Mini when I go IWB and don't have any issues with it. I don't have the full size so I don't have anything to compare it to though.
That gun looks somewhat similar in size to my 23

·
Registered
856 Posts
I tried the Mini and returned it for the standard size. For me the additional width just works better and is mire comfortable.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the Mini and returned it for the standard size. For me the additional width just works better and is mire comfortable.
What kind of gun were you carrying and what's your body size type if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had originally ordered the full-size and then heard that they came out with the mini. So I had them switch it out since my order hadn't shipped yet. Stealthgear is a good company. Don't think you can go wrong with either but maybe the full size is a safer bet.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I carry an HK P2000 and use both Mini and Onyx. I'm about your size with a 37" waist. I can use either for the entirety of a 16 hour day. I think the Onyx is a bit more comfortable, but I can drive 5 hours wearing either. I carry at 4:00 or so and for some reason I believe the Onyx lets me carry a bit closer to the 3:00 position. Locations of belt loops versus your preferred carry position might come into play. Can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So your opinion for me would be to get the regular size then for a Glock 23 since it's basically the next size up gun from your 938? One thought I had for the mini was I have been considering trying to carry around 2-2:30 position and I thought the mini might fit there better but idk. I'll also be using 3:30-5 as well.
I think with the extra width and weight of the 23 I would go with the full size. Just my opinion

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I carry an HK P2000 and use both Mini and Onyx. I'm about your size with a 37" waist. I can use either for the entirety of a 16 hour day. I think the Onyx is a bit more comfortable, but I can drive 5 hours wearing either. I carry at 4:00 or so and for some reason I believe the Onyx lets me carry a bit closer to the 3:00 position. Locations of belt loops versus your preferred carry position might come into play. Can't go wrong either way.

I'm a 32 waist which had me thinking mini, my hope was since I farm and spend roughly 12 hours in a tractor I could slide it around to about 2-3 and carry it more comfortably was thinking just since it was smaller that the mini would be more suitable but that's nothing more than a guess. However now after the responses I'm leaning more to the regular size

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
These are great holsters. I have 2 of them for my HK P30 and HK P30sk. My only issue with them is that being a lefty....whenever I get into my car the metal belt clips catch on the door and spreads it open. I had to keep closing it with pliers. :smile: So since then, I have gone to custom leather holsters with the loops. I like those a whole lot better but the StealthGear is a very solid, comfortable and fine holster option. I recommend them!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Depends how your going to carry it? On your side get the full. AIWB get the mini.

Edit: Never mind I was thinking the mini was the the AIWB but its not.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went ahead an order the full for my G23. Gonna see how it feels and maybe order a mini for my G27 and do a comparison maybe not sure yet. Might try black arch and the breathable one they offer. Stealthgear said allow 25 days for the ventcore, is that normal or should I expect it sooner or even longer?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Keep us posted on the results please...

1,458 Posts
Went ahead an order the full for my G23. Gonna see how it feels and maybe order a mini for my G27 and do a comparison maybe not sure yet. Might try black arch and the breathable one they offer. Stealthgear said allow 25 days for the ventcore, is that normal or should I expect it sooner or even longer?
If you do decide to give us a try, our lead time is 3-5 business days on all holsters.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts