Defensive Carry banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's not the steel cases that wear the bore, it's the bimetal bullets. Steel cases carbon up your chamber and can mildly accelerate wear on the extractor hook.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I clean my guns, so even if what you say is true, it's a non issue. I haven't noticed any extra wear or extractor issues from almost exclusively firing steel cased ammo out of my ARs and AKs. Never had an extractor issue with my pistols other with one brand (I forget the name) that keep getting stuck in the chamber.

[HR][/HR]

I can buy more, save more money, and shoot more steel cased ammo. If anything does wear out after thousands of rounds, the cost of the replacement part will be much less than the money I saved. With that said, I never had a problem and think most of the stuff you hear on the inet is hyped up.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I clean my guns, so even if what you say is true, it's a non issue. I haven't noticed any extra wear or extractor issues from almost exclusively firing steel cased ammo out of my ARs and AKs. Never had an extractor issue with my pistols other with one brand (I forget the name) that keep getting stuck in the chamber.

[HR][/HR]

I can buy more, save more money, and shoot more steel cased ammo. If anything does wear out after thousands of rounds, the cost of the replacement part will be much less than the money I saved. With that said, I never had a problem and think most of the stuff you hear on the inet is hyped up.
Exactly. Lets say youre shooting an AR15 for instance. Lets say the average life of a barrel (a much more expensive part than an extractor thats a couple dollars and a 45 second swap) is 40,000 rounds with regular use of brass case ammo. Lets say the steel case/jacket ammo wears it out at a crazy accelerated rate, and it is shot out at 20k rounds. A pretty common price for Wolf 223 55gr steel case ammo is $180/1k. For any of the brass case 55gr cheap basic ammo, lets say its $310/1k. With the cost savings you would have earned from the $130 per case you saved, times 20 cases, you saved $2,600 in ammo over those 20k rounds. Thats enough to buy a barrel for your old rifle, a new rifle, new optic, and a few more cases of steel case ammo.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I think a lot of people shoot steel case ammo and I have few boxes kicking around in 9mm because at one point that was all there was out there. I prefer to pay a little extra for brass so I can reload it.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
The only real big no no for steel cased is in revolvers.
The cases get stuck and you have to tap them out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That can happen in semi automatics too. Then it leads to extractor problems because the extractor rips over the rim as the slide moves rearward, and then slams back over the rim as the slide returns to battery.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
For me the entire appeal of the 7.62x39 chambering is the relatively inexpensive steel cased ammo. I own 5 rifles in that caliber, all steel all the time for all of em. One of the reasons I can't warm to the mini-30 is reputation of not being reliable with steel cased ammo.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If I understood LuckyGunner's long analysis, it all comes down to cost vs. time for the same number of rounds.

Want the barrel to last longer, but cost more? Use brass.
Want to save money? Use steel.

My own conclusion: I don't know enough about changing barrels, so I'll stick with brass. If changing a barrel is super easy and low risk of messing it up, I'd use steel.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts