Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like and dislike steel targets. I like the reactive nature of the targets but if the target is too large, a ding could give the shooter a false sense of accomplishment. The shooter could be flinching wildly, milking, etc but still hitting the lower left or right/top or bottom edge of the torso but brimming with pride in light of the deceiving ding.

We opted for small steel targets as a training aid. Once used to the size, transitioning to a larger target becomes a piece of cake and speed can be increased dramatically with the added value of tighter groups.

Here's a video I shot today:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I recently bought 8", 6", and 4" round steel for just this reason.
Of course the farther you are from the target the smaller it appears. Take 3 steps back from the 8" and you're trying to hit the same moa of the 4".

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fantastic! Good thinking!

I recently bought 8", 6", and 4" round steel for just this reason.
Of course the farther you are from the target the smaller it appears. Take 3 steps back from the 8" and you're trying to hit the same moa of the 4".

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I use a mix at my place, as patkelly4370 all you have to do to raise your difficulty level is increase your distance.

Some of my favorites are 8" round plates as the are the same size as the zero down zone on an IDPA tgt. I also like staggering the heights, so you can't cruise like a regular plate rack.

Also place them in depth, so you have to tighten your sight picture as you work backwards, These are set up for a modified El Presidente drill:

Another one of my favorites are my AR500 bowling pins (15" x4"), which we use for shoot-offs after we work drills. I picked this up from a class I took that used knockdowns for a shoot-off to add a level of stress from shooting against someone:

Standard run is knockdown your 6 (which may require a little movement if you turn one), hit the 4", then ring the silhouette to "win".

Chuck

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'm going to make another rack to hold my "gongs" vertically.
8" at center mass height,
6" at nose height,
4" at throat height (gotta put it somewhere).

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks fantastic! Nice setup.

I use a mix at my place, as patkelly4370 all you have to do to raise your difficulty level is increase your distance.

Some of my favorites are 8" round plates as the are the same size as the zero down zone on an IDPA tgt. I also like staggering the heights, so you can't cruise like a regular plate rack.

Also place them in depth, so you have to tighten your sight picture as you work backwards, These are set up for a modified El Presidente drill:

Another one of my favorites are my AR500 bowling pins (15" x4"), which we use for shoot-offs after we work drills. I picked this up from a class I took that used knockdowns for a shoot-off to add a level of stress from shooting against someone:

Standard run is knockdown your 6 (which may require a little movement if you turn one), hit the 4", then ring the silhouette to "win".

Chuck

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great idea! Shooting small steel targets makes shooting paper or 3D targets much easier.

I'm going to make another rack to hold my "gongs" vertically.
8" at center mass height,
6" at nose height,
4" at throat height (gotta put it somewhere).

·
Registered
323 Posts
sad i do not have a permanent place to use my targets, so only have a couple for now.. and the friggen cost of them. have to pack them or would be trashed or just gone when i return.
but i use a 8 in for pistol and a 10 in for rifle.
not used yet but a gopher with a 3 in hole with a round target, any hit not in the hole is a miss (to me that is) but this is a rim fire only target. (gopher body is blue, hole target is black). so only black hits count. and colors subject to change pending cheapest 2 colors of paint i can buy.

and bowling pins are fun. just mount them up on a cb styled coil spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts