Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One would think that an experienced shooter would have shot a Glock sometime in the last 25 years or so that they have been available. Ran into someone who although they have sent thousands of rounds downrange had never fired a Glock. He has shot Colts, Sigs, Berettas, HKs, you name it, he has shot it, except Glocks. It had become a personal thing with him, not to fire one. I thought it rather humorous that one could become so adamant and set in their ways. Anyway, just sort of dangled the idea that I thought everyone that liked to consider themselves an accomplished shooter needed to be familiar with one of the all time pistols designs that started the polymer revolution. Kept this up for several weeks. So, finally, he slipped away to an out-of-the way range and rented a G19. Got a text from him shortly after he had fired a hundred rounds saying that he might be able to get past how ugly they were due to how shootable they were and he thought he might just pick up a G19. HaHA!

·
Super Moderator
18,023 Posts
I rented a few and tried them, could not hit the side of a barn from inside with them. They may work for others but just not for me.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I love my Glocks G19 & G26. But I really love my G17 gen 4. Anytime I get a chance to take a New Shooter out. It is the G19 I find is the easiest 9mm to use for a novice to get the firearm experience ( safety, stance grip). But I also know Glocks aren't the end all of firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
I love my Glocks G19 & G26. But I really love my G17 gen 4. Anytime I get a chance to take a New Shooter out. It is the G19 I find is the easiest 9mm to use for a novice to get the firearm experience ( safety, stance grip). But I also know Glocks aren't the end all of firearms.
Blasphemy! :ticking:

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
Anyway, just sort of dangled the idea that I thought everyone that liked to consider themselves an accomplished shooter needed to be familiar with one of the all time pistols designs that started the polymer revolution
Glock did not start the polymer revolution, HK did. That was the HK VP70. I owned a Glock, and sold it. Many people like Glocks, they're just not for me.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I didn't shoot a Glock until this year, which puts me at about 30 years of Glock-less shooting.

I honestly don't feel like I was missing out on much. The thing I like most about it is its elegant simplicity. I respect it as a design more than I like shooting it. Though I've also had issues with my G26, so that probly colors my perception.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I rented a few and tried them, could not hit the side of a barn from inside with them. They may work for others but just not for me.
Took me about 1000 rounds through them to "love" them. I felt the way you did until I made myself get good with them. Now, I won't carry anything else.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I didn't shoot a Glock until this year, which puts me at about 30 years of Glock-less shooting.

I honestly don't feel like I was missing out on much. The thing I like most about it is its elegant simplicity. I respect it as a design more than I like shooting it. Though I've also had issues with my G26, so that probly colors my perception.
you shoot at a 1 second per round indoor range? You can't fully appreciate a Glock until you have gone down range with your hair on fire shooting as fast as you can pull the trigger. In rapid fire, Glocks have NO EQUAL. There I said it. Deal with it.

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
I came to Glock kicking & screaming. I didnt want one, didnt care about shooting them, and bought every other good gun while never considering a Glock.

THEN, I went through Fighting Pistol at Tactical Response... and still really didnt want one, lol. I used a brand spanking new M&P Compact 9mm.

It ran like a champ. Went toe to toe with the glocks, and I really liked that pistol.

But, Tactical Response opened my mind to maybe there was something to a Glock 19. So I bought one. Not that I planned on switching over to it, or anything, but thinking maybe it wasnt bad to have one on hand.

Then I shot it. The rest is history. I shoot well. But, I shot better & easier with the Glock than any pistol I have ever shot.

It just didnt make sense to carry a pistol that I shot worse with when I had the Glock 19.

I sold the M&P off, and bought another Glock 19.

·
Registered
49 Posts
if you cant hit the side of a barn from the inside with a glock .you have no use for a firearm. Maybe, take up debate.perhaps you can talk your way out of trouble.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Now why would you go and do a thing like that? :smile: I sold all of mine....don't care for them anymore.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I came to Glock kicking & screaming. I didnt want one, didnt care about shooting them, and bought every other good gun while never considering a Glock.

THEN, I went through Fighting Pistol at Tactical Response... and still really didnt want one, lol. I used a brand spanking new M&P Compact 9mm.

It ran like a champ. Went toe to toe with the glocks, and I really liked that pistol.

But, Tactical Response opened my mind to maybe there was something to a Glock 19. So I bought one. Not that I planned on switching over to it, or anything, but thinking maybe it wasnt bad to have one on hand.

Then I shot it. The rest is history. I shoot well. But, I shot better & easier with the Glock than any pistol I have ever shot.

It just didnt make sense to carry a pistol that I shot worse with when I had the Glock 19.

I sold the M&P off, and bought another Glock 19.
I too had a love affair with the m&p compact (and full size and shield), they are fantastic. But the Glock is slimmer and weighs less than my 9c did with 3 more rounds on board. Easy decision.

Reactions: zonker1986

·
Super Moderator
18,023 Posts
if you cant hit the side of a barn from the inside with a glock .you have no use for a firearm. Maybe, take up debate.perhaps you can talk your way out of trouble.
Nope, shoot quite well with others.

L_B_Target.jpg 256.jpg Mag_50.JPG Mag_10.JPG

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I've been toting those ugly suckers for 23 years now. Mostly the .40's. They just work too good for me to carry much else.

Reactions: ExGM and zonker1986

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Nothing really wrong with Glocks , I just don't like the grip angle compared some other pistols. I always seem to naturally point high with them.

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
Nothing really wrong with Glocks , I just don't like the grip angle compared some other pistols. I always seem to naturally point high with them.
Same here. Nothing wrong with them except they don't fit my hand right. They are goods guns, but there are many others that work better for me.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
silly Glock newbs.......Glocks don't fit anyone's hands. They are supposed to naturally point high by design.....which makes you lean into the pistol pointing it down and is the reason recoil control is superior with Glocks.....for those that understand them.,

·
Registered
748 Posts
I don't understand how a person can claim to be an enthusiast and experienced shooter, but refuse to even try a particular type of firearm, not to mention one of if not the most popular and common platform in the world. Very puzzling indeed.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts