Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a leather IWB mag carrier. The problem I'm having with it is that the magazine sticks to the interior of the carrier. This is not "friction" but literally a sticking. Once I rock the magazine a bit it unsticks and slides right out. I have been dealing with this problem for over a month now hoping that it would stop sticking. A magazine that sticks in the carrier is not going to be good in an emergency situation. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, what did you do to solve it?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
On newer, extremely tight-fitting mag carriers, I've used talc and the "wax paper" method to break-in the thing. Can't say that I've ever had it last very long. Once things got slick enough, in there, it's always worked fine.

Beware loosening things up too much. You don't want the mags slipping out even under fairly vigorous normal activity. Myself, I'd much rather have to yank rather strongly to get the thing out, so long as I could repeatably do this.

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
I'd use the talc & wax paper as ccw9mm has said. Try it, you'll like it!

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Yep. Wax paper, a thin sock, both have worked to loosen up tight holsters for guns. No reason it wouldn't work with a mag carrier.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I ordered a leather IWB mag carrier. The problem I'm having with it is that the magazine sticks to the interior of the carrier. This is not "friction" but literally a sticking. Once I rock the magazine a bit it unsticks and slides right out. I have been dealing with this problem for over a month now hoping that it would stop sticking. A magazine that sticks in the carrier is not going to be good in an emergency situation. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, what did you do to solve it?
Warm up a finger with as hot a bowl of water as you can stand. Rub slightly damp finger around the inside of the pouch. Remove and rub fingers together. If they're sticky you may have some residue inside the pouch. If not, then wrap a mag in wax paper or drop it into a thin dress sock then put it in the pouch. Let it sit for a few hours or even a couple days.

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
Good point for the residue, adhesive or uncured acrylic sealer.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have done the wax paper thing. The mag carrier is loose enough that if I turn it upside down the magazine will fall out (unless it has been in there long enough to get stuck. I have too much...uh...playground to have to worry about it coming out during rigorous activity. I'll try the talc idea

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Cut a piece of cereal box cardboard the size of the magazine (two sides) and put it in with the magazine overnight. Repeat until the sheath stretches.

This works with tight knife sheaths as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts