Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a little while back about some feeding problems on my new Para Warthog and received a lot of excellent info. First I ordered some heavier Wolf magazine springs, which as was pointed out by someone, were a Pain to install. I also spoke to George at Para and despite a rotten attitude on my part, he gave me some good advice. I have given up on the +p rounds. The Remington Golden Sabre 185 gr. seems to work just fine, I will stick to that.

Also this weekend I noticed something. I was doing some shooting and put about 200 rds. through the Warthog without incident. Then for fun, I had brought along 3 Beretta mouse guns, two .25's and a .22, which I proceeded to blast away with. At the end of the session I decided to shoot the Warthog a last time and immediately had several ftf's. By the scond magazine I realized that I was limp wristing after shooting the lighter recoiling mouse guns. I just was not gripping the Warthog tightly enough. Made the correction, no more problem.

I am still working out the bugs, but it is looking pretty good. Thanks for everyones advice and help.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Glad you have made some progress.

I know some folks will aggressively deny that limp-writing is real - and is just an imagined phenomenon - seems you have proved otherwise and so have I - including watching students on NRA courses - it happens!

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Hope it all gets worked out. I gave up on the micro 1911's w/o having 1.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Glad it is coming together.
Mike

·
Registered
635 Posts
The Goose said:
Also this weekend I noticed something. I was doing some shooting and put about 200 rds. through the Warthog without incident. Then for fun, I had brought along 3 Beretta mouse guns, two .25's and a .22, which I proceeded to blast away with. At the end of the session I decided to shoot the Warthog a last time and immediately had several ftf's. By the second magazine I realized that I was limp wristing after shooting the lighter recoiling mouse guns. I just was not gripping the Warthog tightly enough. Made the correction, no more problem.

I am still working out the bugs, but it is looking pretty good. Thanks for everyones advice and help.
I do not think I ever read a post that someone actually admitted to limp wristing. I commend you sir. :hand10: I think this post should be a sticky. Limp wristing does exist.:smile:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
From another forum, the term, " Fighting Grip", comes to mind. I was shooting Fiocchi JHPs through my Seecamps, last range session, so I was in no danger of forgetting how to grip,:biggrin2: but it bears repeating to oneself. Good post!:hand10:

Edited by Bud White
Ya got to Bleep it out then it probley doesnt belong

·
Registered
179 Posts
I exercised my Warthog today after work.
All was fine two-hand. When I switched to weak hand, I got two FTF.
I chocked it up to my weak hand grip. Strong hand was fine.
This was with Federal H-S 185gr.
All is still original; no spring changes.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
even the best will limp wrist sometimes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
New Slim Hawg

I just got my Slim Hawg a week ago. I polished the feed ramp and cleaned it before I shot it for the first time. I shot 50 rounds of Brass Blazer FMJ and 50 rounds of PMC JHP and no FTE or FTF's. Great gun and very accurate.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Glad the problems seem to be working themselves out. As much as I'd like a Colt Defender (or ideally, an OACP), I've had rotten luck with sub-4" 1911s so I try my damnedest to resist the urge. The new Kahr P45 seems like a great little BUG ACP so I might very well pick one up as my next purchase.

Let us know how the Hawg performs, sounds like you're on the right track. With my ols SA UC HC I had to drop the recoil spring weight and run +P 185s to gain cycle time. It worked as far as functioning but it was extremely loud and I didn't like the idea of battering my gun to pieces.
Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts