Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious who here thinks stippling is a worthy upgrade for Glocks, M&P's and so forth?

Reason I ask is that I stippled my M&P's (Shield, 45 and 45c) and love them. However, I bought a Gen 4 Glock and even though I liked the upgraded grip texture on the Gen 4's, I know that the .40 is a snappy mother. So I went ahead and stippled the Glock. But the Glock polymer isn't like the M&P polymer and the grip texture was hard to do because the little squares are raised. I kinda feel like I jacked up a perfectly good gun. It feels great, and will help control it no doubt, but I like my guns to look good too.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree. I do not generally like stippling. There are only a few jobs I've ever though made sense without the user justifying it.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I havent stippled a frame as of yet.... But I have stippled the mag extenders on all of my guns and for several of my friends as well. It makes a marked improvement on control and feel IMO.

·
Registered
11,193 Posts
Polymer frames flex in recoil. Makers take that into account when they design the guns. Removing material, heating it, etc makes the frame different than it was designed. It likely does nothing to improve reliability, and may impair it in the short or long term. Not a risk I am willing to take in a defensive gun. Adapt to the gun as it is.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
773 Posts
4sg3.JPG 4sg4.JPG

I like to stipple a very dense, light pattern with a fairly fine tip on the soldering iron. when finished I lightly sand just to break any sharp edges...

Smolck Im curious as to what yours looks like, would you mind posting a picture or no ?

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
I actually prefer non-gen 4 Glocks with a rubber Hogue Handle or even a bicycle innertube on the grip which can be easily removed easily. The gen 4 Glocks have not grown on me...yet.

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Super Moderator
18,824 Posts
The only thing I like less than plastic guns is plastic guns that have been monkeyed with.

But, carry on. Different strokes and all that. Some stippling is bound to make for a grip more sure and certain, no matter how it appears.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
No!! I am too scared of ruining my gun. Also, I like the way it feels in my hand, so why mess with a good thing?

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 75705 View attachment 75706

I like to stipple a very dense, light pattern with a fairly fine tip on the soldering iron. when finished I lightly sand just to brake any sharp edges...

Smolck Im curious as to what yours looks like, would you mind posting a picture or no ?
Sure. And my M&P's too for comparison.....

Attachments

Reactions: Maynard and Sap03

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Despite the added grittiness against clothing and potential minor additional hindrance to drawing/holstering, I much prefer stout checkering or stippling. On handguns with wood grips, I have always done the low-LPI checkering route. Haven't had too many polymer pistols, so I have yet to go the route of stippling on them, but I've long thought that a dramatically-grittier stippling would afford a far more positive grip than any of the factory offerings. Hate the look of most of the stippling jobs, though the utility is undeniable IMO.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting that most of you seem to dislike it. A lot of professional teachers and shooters are very much in favor of it which is why I tried it to begin with.

The FEEL is amazing and does the job it is intended to do on my guns, and the more I look at it, the more I like it so good enough.

Depends on the gun. I have stippled multiple Glocks and I think they look great. Never had a problem with them, and I don't remove material, unless I'm also getting rid of fiber grooves. Again, it's personal preference.
I think that looks great on your baby Glock.

Reactions: Dnbailey

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Nope, never felt the need to. I like them just fine how they are. :yup:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Not a fan of stippling. I think I made a gun store owner mad once. I had never seen that done to a Glock before. I think I said something like "damn, was that in a fire?" It wasn't until later I realized it had been done on purpose! LOL

Reactions: 006.9V2.1
1 - 20 of 66 Posts