Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if there is a 'generally' agreeded upon ranking of stock makers of 1911's . I'm looking for a CC form at a size comparable to my Beretta PX4sc.

Since the cost is 'close', I'm looking at the historical reliability of makers. In the stock world, would it be S&W-Colt-SA-Kimber ?

I realize it's opinions, but a consensus view would be worthwhile too.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Be ready for tons of opinions and very little fact. This is also a loaded question, for what price, who is the user, where is it going to be used?... For example, our heros over in the big sandbox swear at the same guns that many of us swear by, this is due to tollerances ect... Needs vary and opinions will vary WAY more.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Interestingly enough, by title, I came here thinking gun stocks. Now that I read 'makers of stock 1911s' into it, I almost feel I should leave, but since the previous poster suggested tons of opinions, I'm now ready and willing. Stock to me means bare bones, basic model. In my opinion, who's been making them longer? Colt? I depended on a Colt M1911A1 starting in 1982 during my service days. As with most of the platforms I dealt with in service, like the M40A1, M870, M16, and M1911....I tend to surround myself in this more modern era with the same or similar. Granted I couldn't afford a Colt in everything for one reason or another, and I've been through a couple of 1911 pistols as a member of the general population. Much as the notion still nags at me for want of another 1911 pistol, and if price was not of concern, I would go with a Colt today. I'm no 1911 expert by any means, so just remember that. You'll likely get better advice from others who are, but realize we'll all have bias one way or another. Secondly, Springfield Armory to my thinking......why I'm thinking may still mainly be due to those manufacturers that have supplied the nation's military for the longest times and hardest times in any firearms. If it comes to an M1A, Springfield would get #1 spot in my opinion, but second on the 1911. I built a custom out of a Norinco 1911A1 in the 90's, and basically it felt and worked just like the Colt I'd been accustomed to the decade before. When they say "copy", this was it and I had to have one, but submitted to the growing hype of custom 1911s, and ended up fiddling with it when I didn't really need to. That Norinco was a good shooter, and I later found out that Wilson's Combat would build off them for a custom. That says something to those who would otherwise laugh at the notion of a Chinese copy of the original back in those days. I bought that Norinco for $389 at a gun show. If I could find one these days at the same price and quality, I'd be likely to sell something to get one if it came to that. They're almost extinct now, and in the hands of those who know their true worth now and won't give them up.
I've contemplated another 1911 several times over the past four years or so, and the somewhat customized versions have appealed to me more than they should as I had seriously looked at the Taurus PT1911, and the RIA models. But when I think of how it all comes down to it, and what I would really want is like you...........one of the basic, "stock" 1911s the way they used to be. It's not on the radar for me now, but always in the back of my mind and not too far away. One of these days I'll have one in my hand again, and it seems to me that I'll almost need to have another before I die to feel complete.
Colt, Springfield, Norinco. All the others just got on the boat IMO. A lot of the best things came from history, and history is getting hard to find.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I agree with Ramrod. I love the Colt; from the government model down to the defender. Haven't handled the New Agent yet. Colt has been around for a long time. I bought a lnib Norinco the other day and it is a fine pistol as well.
Before anyone chimes in, I know that being a longtime manufacturer doesn't mean everything, but it does mean alot. At least to me!

·
Administrator
21,447 Posts
I'm just wondering if there is a 'generally' agreeded upon ranking of stock makers of 1911's . I'm looking for a CC form at a size comparable to my Beretta PX4sc.

Since the cost is 'close', I'm looking at the historical reliability of makers. In the stock world, would it be S&W-Colt-SA-Kimber ?

I realize it's opinions, but a consensus view would be worthwhile too.
As you're looking at 3"-3.5" 1911s, I will say the following and that's all:

Go Colt or Springfield.

Kimber has probably had the worst amount of complaints on 3" guns, so that takes them down a peg on "historical" reliability.

S&W Just stated making 3" 1911s this year, so there's no history to make a solid recommendation on them.

Para Ordnance just isn't quite right either, back when a Para was a $600 gun, sure but now they're price point is exceeding their quality IMHO, don't get me wrong I've had four and they all ran well, but I don't think they are worth the money. That being said, if you want a compact doublestack 1911, it's the Para WartHawg or nothing. They've had some recent complaints on QC and Customer Service lately and I've "heard" of some issues with some of their MIM parts.

I would go with the order something like this:

1: Springfield Micro
2: Colt Defender

The only reason I list the Micro higher is that from the factory it is more nicely equipped. If I were going to make some changes/enhancements, I'd probably go with the Colt.

Another entry is the Rock Island Compact or Crusader, I can never remember what the name of that gun is, but plenty of people seem to like their Rocks. I've never had one, never shot one, but I've been tempted to pick up a RIA just for giggles as a beater 1911 and see how it holds up.

STI makes some compact 1911s. But I've seen few in stores, and the one's I have seen have been a little on the rough side. To be honest if it wasn't for the fact that they had STI in huge letters on them, I never would have pegged the gun as a tier II gun.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Purely opinion, I am on the same page as poster above...

1. SA
2. Colt
3. Para
4. RI

·
Registered
307 Posts
1. Dan Wesson (really hard to beat for the money)
2. Colt
3. Springfield Armory
4. S&W
5. Kimber

In that order. Be prepared to do work on all but the DW and maybe the Colt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I purchased a Kimber Ultra CDP II and have put 300 Winchester JHP 230 gr. through it and it is flawless. It is my first Kimber,but will not be my last. I carry it every day and have a Ruger LCP for backup. I hope I never need to use either one. I also have a Glock 23 and a Glock 26 that are great weapons also. I just love 1911's and will be getting more soon. To add to my collection of Colts and Springfields.

·
Super Moderator
22,322 Posts
Secondly, Springfield Armory to my thinking......why I'm thinking may still mainly be due to those manufacturers that have supplied the nation's military for the longest times and hardest times in any firearms.
Just for the record, today's Springfield Armory Inc. (1974- ) has no ties to the original U.S. Government Springfield Armory (1777-1968). Robert Reese acquired the Springfield Armory name, trademarks etc., in 1974.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've owned a Colt, Auto-ordnance, Ballester-Molina and a Norinco.

honestly, looks and finish were the only difference.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I'd go with:

1. Colt
Tie. Kimber / SA

For years these were the only approved manufacturers my LEO agency would approve for 1911 model duty guns...

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I own or have owned 1911's by SA, Kimber, Colt and Dan Wesson. The Dan Wesson guns are the best made and shot better IMO. Just about the best (semi-custom) 1911 platform going today.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i think there would be more agreement and an overall more productive discussion if everyone compared their top five (or however many) choices in no particular order.

i think you would probably start seeing more continuity and agreement as this would take the edge off the fanboy-ism at least a little bit.

already we are mostly seeing the same 4 or 5 in different orders. you wont get everyone to agree on the order. but you can walk away with a good idea where to concentrate your attention.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do appreciate all the responses. It's looking like Colt and SA are easily agreed upon. It's great to have a live 'consumer reports' view. Once again learning from the experiences of others.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This ought to get good!!
:essen14:

:127:

:bohx1:

:Winner2:

I've got a Taurus PT-1911, but I certainly don't think it's on the top shelf. I've got two brothers who also have them - all three have been trouble free. The brothers also have SA's. Both of them have given them problems. CLEARLY, the SA is a better built gun, but it just goes to show you can have problems with any brand. My other brother has two Colts - he swears by them, and I cannot argue with that.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm a little late to the show however I can tell by the lineup, this is gonna be a mess. :danceban:

Here's my opinion.

Colt...
Dan Wesson...
Kimber...
Springfield Armory...
the others

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
If Colt were still producing the Series 70 it might be my first choice--alas, they are not !

I have to go with the Springers 1st and Colt 2nd. Way down the list are Kimbers. Too many issues and very little factory support.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts