Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advise on this particular gun. My daughter's boyfriend thinks this is the one for him. I've never even seen one. Looks like the going price around here new is $400. I know, you can get a used Glock for a little more, but he is interested in this particular gun. Anyone have any experience and advise for me to help guide him?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't know the gun, but it's difficult to talk someone out of what they think is right for them... Maybe it is... There is only one way to find out, you never know.

·
Registered
989 Posts
IIRC, it began life as the Beretta Cougar. It's now made in Turkey under the Stoeger name due to cheaper labor costs.

I have not personally tried the Cougar. However, here is a write-up from Dave Spaulding for what it's worth.
Stoeger Cougar Handgun
Good luck,
Herk
:cowboy:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Tell him he needs better taste in guns, like Glocks, or he can't date your daughter... :rofl:

Seriously...

I've shot a friends and it seems like a good dependable gun...

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
He would LOVE the gun. The quality is good, will last, and are good guns. Don't even try to put these guns in the same "type" of gun as a Glock, XD, etc. They are not the same "type" of gun at all, and you won't find so much plastic.

They are a bit larger, but can carry easy with the right holster. The rotating barrel improves accuracy.

He couldn't go wrong with this gun, unless it is just not the "type " of gun he's looking for.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
They seem to be a little bulky for carry IMHO, but solid overall. A new Glock can be had on GB for 475 or so.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Great guns - well made, accurate, reliable. Made on the same machinery as the original Beretta Cougars, comes with Beretta mags. Try Google, plenty of info out there.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
I have two, a Beretta version and a Stoeger version in 40 S&W. I am carrying the Beretta version in a Sparks VM-II right now and have been all day to include a 2 hour drive. It isn't as bulky as some suggest. It is smaller than the 92 and is a mid-size carry gun.

Great weapon, very reliable and shoots well. I have Meprolight tritium sights on both and the magazines are cheap and plentiful in 9mm.

I highly recommend the gun, but you should be able to get the Stoeger 9mm cheaper than $400.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148102892

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
The original Beretta Cougar, several years ago cost me $650 and that was with $100 off. It still looks brand new and shoots great.

Compare it in size to any Glock or XD, etc. It's not much different. It's not a sub-compact size, but even then it's not that much larger.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The original Beretta Cougar, several years ago cost me $650 and that was with $100 off. It still looks brand new and shoots great.

Compare it in size to any Glock or XD, etc. It's not much different. It's not a sub-compact size, but even then it's not that much larger.
I agree, mine wasn't much different in size than my XD, and concealed just fine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My carry is the 8040. Great gun. Not one problem and easy enough to conceal. Stoeger makes the gun with beretta machines, they are a division of beretta. It is basically a beretta.
If he thinks it's too large, the PX4 is smaller and has the same rotating barrel design.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Beretta version in 9mm withWalnut grips. The gun is very smooth to shoot. My tiny wife enjoys shooting this as well. I did look at the Stoeger version at Gander Mountain and the main difference I saw was the bluing is much better on my Beretta.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I own one and carry as well. I just ordered an 92fs MtAc (I suspect the cougar will fit just fine). It needs a good holster for concealment, the only real drawback is the weight IMO. Gun shoots great and is reliable when lube appropriately. I really like it alot.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
As a Beretta or a Stoeger, it's the same gun actually produced with the same machinery. Either way, it's a very good gun.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I own one and carry as well. I just ordered an 92fs MtAc (I suspect the cougar will fit just fine). It needs a good holster for concealment, the only real drawback is the weight IMO. Gun shoots great and is reliable when lube appropriately. I really like it alot.
It won't fit in 92 holsters.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Great gun! I read the NRA write-up with interest around the spring of 2007. Gander Mountain opened close to my office in Florida. The magazine (just off the press) said MSRP was $329. Gander had it - for $499. I passed on the purchase. I'd love to have one, just never had the spare coin. I've shot the pistol and like it. It's reliable, accurate and smooth. Some day, I hope to get a 9mm. If I can't, I'll just stick with my 1911's.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I have gave them a look and would consider one, but going Glock presently.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts