Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I am always amazed at the number of “ex-special forces” or “seals” around. Not to difficult to tell real from faux.

I have my dads old SAC ball cap and have his CLSS cap. Don’t wear them.

·
Premium Member
5,707 Posts
Can't claim what you are not.

I detonated Claymore mines. Ran an M60. Shot LAW rockets. Wore a uniform. PT and a lot more. Did a bunch of other cool and some not so cool things. Even wore a uniform doing it. But I was never in a branch of service. Don't claim it either. Grateful for the soldiers who did serve. I went the EMS route - thought better use of my skills.

People deserve to be proud or ashamed of their choices accordingly. But don't claim military service if you didn't serve. See how simple that is?

·
Registered
19,593 Posts
I strongly dislike people for doing that.

But I also dislike the idea of using a military service background as a qualification to teach armed self defense for non military applications.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Just for fun, I Googled his name and came up with this. Mr English has been a busy boy. Not only is he faking valor, he faked being in Law Enforcement, appealed the verdict and lost the appeal.

In other words he was a bounty hunter - at least for a while. That ain't law enforcement! There were a couple of guys, partners, who attended one of the shooting schools we attended. They were bounty hunters pure and simple. They did not claim to be anything they were not. They had some interesting stories to tell!

I think worse than stolen valor, which is horrible, is people who have false credentials made up and set up offices as licensed, experienced counselors or physicians. That happens more than you read about and those people can and do impact the lives of others in negative and very frightening ways.

·
Premium Member
35,803 Posts
The Stolen Valor Act of 2013 is very clear regarding the false representation of having received the Silver Star and Purple Heart medals for the purpose of self-enrichment, which it would seem Mr. English may have done. His military background and achievements should all be on his DD-214. If, upon presentation of valid documentation, his claims are legitimate, he is probably owed an apology. If they are not, he is probably subject to prosecution:

·
Premium Member
4,056 Posts
The thing about morality is pretty clear - you either did or you didn't do something, and it becomes a matter of how much credibility one is willing to give someone who fails that test. I certainly wouldn't want to trust my training on someone who won't be honest about his experiences. On a more personal note, I am not a Seal, a trained killer, or even a badass, but I am a Vietnam combat veteran. I take a decidedly personal, and unfriendly, view of those who claim that honor without the experience.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
But I also dislike the idea of using a military service background as a qualification to teach armed self defense for non military applications.
There are a lot of ex-LE people who are instructors as well. Neither background is needed. It just happens that a lot of shooting instructors have a background in two fields primarily. I don't think much of it because having done something doesn't mean one is a good teacher.

I don't see the harm in someone using their past lives to promote their current work. As long as they are being honest and up front about things it's just a potential selling point.

I'm not commenting on the POS that got this thread rolling. He'll get what's coming to him in the end. People like that have a way of screwing things up for themselves. The cons always come to an end.

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
The thing about morality is pretty clear - you either did or you didn't do something, and it becomes a matter of how much credibility one is willing to give someone who fails that test. I certainly wouldn't want to trust my training on someone who won't be honest about his experiences. On a more personal note, I am not a Seal, a trained killer, or even a badass, but I am a Vietnam combat veteran. I take a decidedly personal, and unfriendly, view of those who claim that honor without the experience.
My husband was in the AF and part of the evacuation of Saigon back in the mid-70's. When someone asks him if he was in Viet Nam he says, "yes...but not as a ground combat soldier."

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
We knew a guy that always told people he was in Viet Nam and they assumed he was in a ground unit. He gloried in their thanking him for his service.

What he didn't tell them was that he was a JAG officer, never left Saigon where he was stationed and lived a plush life for the 1 year he was there.

So, technically, he was telling the truth...he was in Viet Nam but it always seemed deceitful to me.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
[*]I can't believe anyone is sticking up for him.

Thoughts? Anyone ever run into something like that?
I've run into people like that too.

My response has been pretty blunt: "So, you're one of the enablers of his unethical behavior. Good to know."

That lights off some fireworks.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
The craziest part is adding the lie that his unit murdered an entire village in Beirut, it just seems like this would throw up a big red flag to everything else, automatically shining a light on his resume.

I figured public claims like that would find someone with a lot of authority at your door sternly requesting an interview.

·
Premium Member
7,569 Posts
We knew a guy that always told people he was in Viet Nam and they assumed he was in a ground unit. He gloried in their thanking him for his service.

What he didn't tell them was that he was a JAG officer, never left Saigon where he was stationed and lived a plush life for the 1 year he was there.

So, technically, he was telling the truth...he was in Viet Nam but it always seemed deceitful to me.
Anyone who served in whatever role is deserving of our respect and gratitude.
The combat soldier, the mechanic, the supply officer all did a job that was necessary.
My problem is those who lie about commendations or the roles that they played Stateside or in country

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
The Stolen Valor Act of 2013 is very clear regarding the false representation of having received the Silver Star and Purple Heart medals for the purpose of self-enrichment, which it would seem Mr. English may have done. His military background and achievements should all be on his DD-214. If, upon presentation of valid documentation, his claims are legitimate, he is probably owed an apology. If they are not, he is probably subject to prosecution:

DD214s can be falsified pretty easily, but nobody can beat an FOIA request.

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
My husband was in the AF and part of the evacuation of Saigon back in the mid-70's. When someone asks him if he was in Viet Nam he says, "yes...but not as a ground combat soldier."
I say I served in SE Asia. I flew over VN a couple of time but never set foot on it.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Since I was in the USMC from1974-77, I'm considered a "Vietnam Era" veteran. Furthest I went from the ConUS was an operation in the Caribbean.

I have no war stories to tell.

But I can't stand loudmouth liars, especially those who steal valor.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,849 Posts
I spent time on boats in country in Viet Nam and on ships off-shore. I am very happy to say I received no hero awards or purple hearts.

My highest military award was the Army Achievement Medal when I was in the Army National Guard. I designed and supervised installation of a live-fire pop up target range and the General was duly impressed. I even got to shoot the targets with an M-16.

·
Super Moderator
17,712 Posts
I'm the same way, I was in-country but I was an Aircraft Electrician repairing airplanes and not dragging a rifle through the jungles and rice paddys like the Marines and Army.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts