Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was finally off to the range as my ammo supply has stabilized. I had finished doing the FrogLube treatment to my Springfield Loaded Champion, I had done a thorough disassemble and cleaning. Unbeknownst to me, the two spring bull barrel system is not meant to be taken apart. Why, you may ask? Because you can accidentally put the main spring back in backwards! SO on the third round, she jammed up. Took it apart and realized my mistake. It buggered up the unit so I just got off the phone with SA customer service, they will send one out overnight tomorrow. Their service is outstanding.

Well that little mistake only cost me $70.00. And no carry piece until the part gets here as the wife is traveling and has our other pistol with her.

It will be the AR for home defense for a few days I guess.

Aggravating and embarrassing. Conserving ammo by breaking the gun is not the best plan. I did get to put a few rounds through he AR, so the trip was not a complete waste.

:embarassed::embarassed::embarassed::embarassed::embarassed::embarassed::embarassed::embarassed:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Was this something that was in the users manual :rolleyes: or did customer service tell you? I was never a "read the directions first" type until I went through firefighter school. The first exam we took was on day one, the tenth/final question told us to go back and read the directions and the directions told us to not answer any of the questions. Everyone failed, lesson learned lol.

Glad to hear that it didnt cause you any harm or serious damage to the gun.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Yep, silly you! You realize that this just means that you're going to have to buy another one as to not leave you without during one of these episodes, right?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SA manual is pretty skimpy, I went by the exploded diagram. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
It will be the AR for home defense for a few days I guess.
That's probably a better plan anyways :wink. Maybe put a dot of red nail polish on one end of spring and corresponding end of gun.

You're not the first to do something like, won't be the last. I knew a guy that put a barrel in upside down - yes locking lugs sticking out of the ejection port. The gun was locked up and he called customer service. All they could tell him was you can't do that - he had to keep telling them: yes I can, I'll looking at it right now and I have witnesses. Damn Jarheads.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, its this forum's fault. If I hadn't gone all in on the Frog Lube concept based on posts here, I would have never thought to take it apart, LOL. It may be broken, but its well lubricated!

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
You definitely need more pistols.

Sorry to hear of your woes.
Good luck, hope the part gets there quickly.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Unbeknownst to me, the two spring bull barrel system is not meant to be taken apart. Why, you may ask? Because you can accidentally put the main spring back in backwards! SO on the third round, she jammed up.

And no carry piece until the part gets here ...
Another good reason for having a #2, and some spare parts, in the stable. You never know what's going to occur, to take #1 out of commission.

Glad the solution was simple.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not need extra parts. I do, apparently, need extra brains LOL

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
When I bought my first pistol with a mag, I embarrassed myself by trying to put the bullets in the mag backwards ~ don't feel bad, when we learn like that usually the same mistake is not made again.

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
That whole episode is near pure genius next to being a Blackhawks fan.:wall:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's cold. You mean a Stanley Cup Champion Blackhawks fan...

·
Registered
36,869 Posts
Actually, its this forum's fault. If I hadn't gone all in on the Frog Lube concept based on posts here, I would have never thought to take it apart, LOL. It may be broken, but its well lubricated!
Oh, so now it's our fault, eh? Who's sitting there with the busted gun?

Reactions: Sister

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
For future reference on taking apart anything mechanical for the first time. Pictures are your friend as you disassemble take lots of pictures you can erase them later. When you reassemble go step by step and insure they look just like the pistol. Case in point Glock extractor spring metal end down plastic end up you can miss this if you are not careful your first time.

$70.00 mistakes teach you a lot more than $.70 mistakes.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Part in hand, lubricated and installed. I cannot say enough about SA customer service.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts