Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
143,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question For LEOs
I have instructed my Wife never to stop for any unmarked Police Car.
We have had Police impersonators "a plenty" here in PA

I'm not keen on my Wife ever pulling over for a potential serial rapist.

I've instructed my Wife not to stop and to hit 911 on her cell & request a marked car.

Anything better or more proper to do?
What is the exact preferred procedure for somebody not wishing to stop or pull over for any unmarked vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
sounds good. Also do not speed, drive to a PD office. look for a well lit, busy with people area. My area is a good place to buy a used PD car. I see atleast 4 or 5 on car lots at a time. After all the troubles they have been having ,I'm suprised they didn't stop using the low profile or unmarked cars. The newest cars up here are all black with no markings.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I was always taught to throw on my hazards to acknowledge to the officer that I had recognized him, and then go to a well lit area where I felt safe, and if neccesary to call the local PD and request a marked car.

A1C Lickey

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Something QK that always bothers me.

Trouble is - by the time the ''cop'' has gotten to your vehicle - even to show (genuine) ID - alarm bells are ringing for many of us. I could see all too easily a very unnecessary shooting event occur. In a sense, both parties would be justfied.

Neither if I were a cop - would I be too keen to have to operate out of an unmarked cruiser - that said, over here on I 99 they do occasionally run those - don't think it's too safe for anyone tho a sneaky way to catch speeders I guess!

·
Super Moderator
18,125 Posts
Anything better or more proper to do?
What is the exact preferred procedure for somebody not wishing to stop or pull over for any unmarked vehicle?
First...pull over.

IF in doubt, call 911 and advise them that you have been stopped by an unmarked unit and give them the location.Keeping the door locked and by rolling the window down only enough so he can hear you,advise the officer that you are going to verify with 911 that this stop is leigitimate.Ask to see badge and ID and inform him that you are waitng for a marked unit to show up.

If he is in fact a LEO he should have no problem with this and may even offer to call a marked unit for you.

Not stopping will only complicate matters. If they are POLICE, and you refuse to stop, there will be NO DOUBT in your mind within a few minutes when other units show up and they do a felony stop on you.

On occasion I have driven unmarked Crown Vics with all the hidden lights. I am tuned into the fact that some people may be somewhat concerned by the fact that they see no insignia anywhere. I'll show them my badge along with the ID and introduce myself as well as inform them what Dept. I am with. I do my best to answer their questions and put them at ease...thus far I have had no problems.

If you stop and get a gut feeling that things are not right, then take off to the nearest station while dialing 911. If its not a legal stop, the perp probably wont follow. Be a good witness and be perpared to give location,time,description of vehicle, appearance and anything else that you observe.

I can assure you that the information that you give will be sent out over the air and every officer on shift will be looking for that suspect.When and if found, they will not be dealt with lightly.In most places, the 911 people are the same one that dispatch the police to calls, so they'l lbe able to verify if the call is legitamate or not fairly quickly.

Thats how we do it in our neck of the woods. It may be different in other locations...

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Thx HG - but I still am less than keen to encounter one!!

Calling 911 presupposes we have a cell - and have signal! Second to that - if in fact t was a perp - by time they are up to our vehicle once stopped - they are close enough to produce a piece and ask less than politely that we get out, while they take said vehicle - possibly without shooting, possibly not!

I sure wanna play it right if stopped legitimately but I think many might see where a bit of concern comes in.! I guess time of day too could have a lot to do with how we might feel.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
PDs tell you that if you're not sure that you should drive to a police station or other lit, populated area like a gas station.

As long as you acknowlege the stop by slowing down and pulling off at the first available area there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
18,125 Posts
P95Carry...

Looking at your avatar leads me to beleive that you more than likely wont be stopped by a perp that wants to rape you...but I could be wrong about that nowadays....:blink: :wink:

Although we had a "Blue Light Rapist" several years ago, I personally beleive that these incidents are highly overated. The fact is, if one takes place anywhere in the country we are liable to hear about on the news for a solid week, no matter where it happens and it seems to be more common than it really is.

We have even had new laws enacted as a result of it that forbids the selling of blue lights to anyone other than an LEO without proper ID.

As for cell phones, I dont think that I know of anyone that dosent have one. Service can be iffy for sure, even here in the Ozarks a police radio has lots of dead spots.

Here in my Sherrif Dept. an umarked unit with a plain clothes wont perform a traffic stop unless there is a danger to the public...which could be anything. No taillights at dark, reckless driving, DWI, or something of that nature. Ocassionally I sit on I-40 in an unmarked, but I'll be in full uniform so there is little doubt . An unmarked unit on I-40 is the most effective and absolute hell on speeders and people that drive with HUA.

The incidents that we hear about are almost always on secluded roadways at night wiht little traffic. Its afact that a young to middle aged woman has more to fear than a man does.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
you more than likely wont be stopped by a perp that wants to rape you
Haha - reckon so HG - I don't wear short enough skirts. LOL!

Yep - this thing is probably over played I'll admit. Trouble is probably just the natural suspicion many of us have.

For sure tho I am always first to comply with a legit stop - tho only had one in last 5 years - and that was broad daylight by a bored cop at intersection in KS! I just snuck over the line a shade :biggrin2:

Still have my warning sheet :wink:

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
from the Seattle PI

Unmarked patrols snag dangerous drivers

By SAM SKOLNIK
The Seattle Post Intelligencer
As traffic began to thicken one recent morning on Interstate 90, a red Dodge Caravan suddenly slashed left in front of another car. The driver had cut it close and hadn't signaled his lane change. The Caravan then sped up and cut left again into the HOV lane. The car he cut off, a nondescript Chevy Impala, zoomed in closely behind and began tracking him as he headed toward Seattle. State Trooper Luis Gonzalez waited patiently to find the right spot to pull over the Caravan before sounding the Impala's hidden siren.

Gonzalez slapped a $538 ticket on the man for negligent driving. It's his job to ferret out aggressive drivers from his unmarked sedan.

Drivers such as the 20-year-old behind the Caravan's wheel -- running late to pick up his mother -- regularly turn local highways into deathtraps, Gonzalez said.

"They could kill someone in a heartbeat," he said. "Could be your family, could be mine."

The Washington State Patrol is pulling over more aggressive drivers than ever these days using unmarked cars such as Gonzalez's. Troopers prowl local highways for hyper-fast lane changers, tailgaters, road-racers and others who are intentionally uncivil -- meaning dangerous -- on the road.

This year, through the end of October, the Patrol had either cited or warned 43,685 such drivers throughout the state; more than a quarter of those contacts came from the fleet of undercover patrol cars that make up the Patrol's Aggressive Driver Apprehension Team. That's almost 4,000 more stops than they made during the same time period in 2004.

The State Patrol began the aggressive driving team in 1998, with funding for new undercover cars provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The team started with eight cars statewide; the number has now swelled to 43.

In addition to the Impalas, Gonzalez said, the program includes Camaros, Volvos and Dodge Stratuses.

On the outside, the cars are relatively inconspicuous. But they're equipped where it counts.

In addition to souped-up engines, the cars' interiors are a lot like those of regular patrol units, including accessible laptop computers, speed gauges, a shield between the front and back seats, and a loaded shotgun nestled between the driver and passenger seats. The headlights and rear brake lights turn into multicolored strobe flashers with the flick of a switch.

One year ago, the Patrol bolstered its efforts to counteract aggressive driving by launching a Web site where witnesses or victims of aggressive driving can report their concerns. About 1,200 reports have been filed since then.

Steve Routt of Arlington was one of those who reported being the victim of aggressive driving.

Routt was driving onto northbound Interstate 5 in Everett about two weeks ago when a black pickup truck tried to ram his car while getting on the freeway.

The pickup had tried to merge left from the right lane, forcing Routt "to slam on the brakes to keep from getting hit," At one point, the pickup driver made an obscene hand gesture, he wrote.

Routt has been commuting from Arlington to his job in Everett for 24 years. "It's progressively gotten worse," he said. "More and more people don't give themselves enough time to get where they want to go, so they act stupid."

According to State Patrol spokesman Greg Pressel, who oversees the Web site, if he sees multiple complaints made about a given patrol area, he'll refer the matter to the correct State Patrol district or to the relevant county or local police agency to make sure the area is beefed up.

In instances in which a license plate is noted and confirmed with a registration, the Patrol will mail a letter warning the driver that he or she has been spotted driving aggressively. A pamphlet with advice on how to drive more carefully is enclosed.

According to the federal highway traffic safety agency, aggressive driving played a role in about two-thirds of the 41,821 traffic fatalities nationwide in 2000.

In fact, according to a 1998 study by the American Automobile Association, one in four drivers admitted to driving aggressively at least occasionally, most commonly by speeding because they are running late.

"It's a huge concern," said State Patrol Chief John Batiste. "There are a lot more vehicles on the road now, and that creates stress."

The problem is more pronounced in King County, the most densely populated in the state. It is home to five of the 10 worst "hot spots" as the Patrol defines them -- areas where aggressive driving can be more the norm than an aberration.

Aggressive driving is defined as two moving violations that put life or property in danger, or a "single intentional violation that requires a defensive reaction of another driver," according to the Patrol.

The violations can include negligent driving, which brings with it a steep fine, or reckless driving, a criminal violation that can result in a night in jail, an even heftier fine, a revoked license, or possibly all three.

"It's just common sense," Trooper Gonzalez said. "People need to drive smart out there."

Thought this would fit here.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
+1 HG'S
If unmarked pull's a 10-50,It's roll time for my marked units.

·
Administrator
143,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Folks

I appreciate your input & your knowledge & understanding.
Most recent here in PA was a phony unmarked "equipped" with some jerk that was attempting to pull over females on Ohio River Blvd & he had fake (security guard type) uniform & cap & badge.
Not sure if our great Genuine Local LEOs snagged him yet...or not.
He did scare the living hell out of one young girl.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
For me and the wife...unmarked,ok---BUT---the LEO had better be in complete uniform with picture ID before the window gets rolled down.And we will never pull over in a desolate area. IMO any judge would understand these terms.--------

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
P95Carry said:
Haha - reckon so HG - I don't wear short enough skirts. LOL!
Thanks P95, there's nothing like hot coffee all over your lap to really wake you up...

And there's another image I didn't need in my head...

A1C Lickey

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
And there's another image I didn't need in my head...
Haha - oh my yeah - the ''Bud favorite" - my sandals and socks! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Similar story:

Laguna Hills, CA area, there has been some people driving around in a car, not even resembling a police car. They have spotlights that they'll turn shine on cars to pull them over.

Unsuspecting women think it's a cop and they'll pull over. Then these perps kidnap the women, and we don't need to go into the rest. My wife's cousin pulled over for one of these cars, but got real suspicious. She was close enough to her house, that she just pulled away. If it was a cop, he'd have followed her to her house, where her family was. She'd been a little safer there if people were around. BUT, when she pulled away, the car just turned around and left.

·
Administrator
143,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks For That Addition Jarhead

These sickos have the law of averages going for them them.
They can try to fool a multitude of females & all they need is one to bite on their ruse.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Been there, I was merging onto the highway when a police car lit me up. This was some what of a rural area and late night when this happend.
Anyway, I knew that at the next exit I could exit off and turn into a Texaco truck stop. Well, I turned on my blinkers and dropped my speed down to 40 on a 65 MPh . Then I exited, rolled my driver side window down halfway and placed my hands on the wheel. Then, the officers came up guns drawn asking me for my registration. Well, I gave it to him and he began to ask me a thousand question. Then when he asked for my license I slipped him my Uncle Sam Green Card. Active Duty USAF.

When home on leave I would usually travel north to visit my now wife and head south back towards Georgia. Well the cops were nasty and unprofessional. The tone all changed when he found out my status. Apparently they were out for a night of harrasment and their story was that I looked liked some one they had a warrant for. Anyway, I appreciate the jobs that our leo's do, but I don't place them on any high seat. My suggestion is to always be safe and if you are a good guy act like one.

It is very sad to say but many leo's are indeed crooked, just recently in Charlotte they found many of them hiding out in an old abandoned post playing playstation and reading girly books. Well, I will go on the advice of an old retired cop I once knew, do the right thing, be safe and don't depend on the police to protect you.

·
Administrator
143,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, for every bad cop "out there" there are 100 good ones who are just going to work every day & doing their job by the book & for all the right reasons.
Unfortunately...like everything else that makes the news...you only ever hear about the bad ones. Bad news is NEWS ~ Good News gets totally ignored.
The same thing with folks that work for the government...a corrupt Govt. official snatches the headlines & 1,000 other Government workers just go to work & do their jobs every day & you never hear about them.

Well, BlueLion you were Active Duty USAF ~ How did you like it during the Vietnam era when all soldiers got "broad brush painted" as Baby Killers & Village Burners or (how about) "Torturers & Rapists" over in Iraq.?
Another example would be the Police down in New Orleans...Yes, some abandoned their jobs & disappeared & the whole pile of others stayed & worked triple shifts to try to maintain Law & Order & save & rescue as many people as possible...even while thugs were sniping at them from the rooftops.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts