Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you leave your gun in it’s holster when you take it off and store it? Or do you remove it and store it unholstered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Define "stored". In the safe?? On the nightstand?? My edc never gets stored ( gun safe) if it's not on me its on or in the nightstand in its holster trigger covered at all times. Probably should get some type of small safe for the nightstand or closet but I haven't.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,889 Posts
My handgun goes from the nightstand to the leather holster when I get dressed in the morning. It goes from the holster to the nightstand when I go to bed. All other handguns are unholstered in the safe. The other holsters are piled on top of the safe. Occasionally, they avalanche.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Loaded handguns always remain in a holster that covers the trigger. Unloaded guns are put away sans holster.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
From on my person to readily accessible place of temporary storage. I don’t play around with administrative handling. That’s how accidents happen.

Rotating out the carry gun? Unholstered, unloaded, wiped down, into the safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Define "stored". In the safe?? On the nightstand?? My edc never gets stored ( gun safe) if it's not on me its on or in the nightstand in its holster trigger covered at all times. Probably should get some type of small safe for the nightstand or closet but I haven't.
For me storage means in the safe. I have kids so any gun not on my person I keep in a safe.

I’ve been keeping them in their holsters when I take them off, but I’m wondering if there would be adverse effects from moisture to the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I mainly use kydex holsters, so I store my carry guns in the holster. Leather holsters can retain moisture, so I wouldn't store a gun in one. In fact, Ruger owners manuals specifically recommend not storing their guns in a leather holster because of moisture.

Guns in my big basement safe are kept in a pistol rack in Sticky holsters. The folks at Sticky assured me that their holsters do not absorb moisture and are a good option for long term storage.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Loaded guns stay in a holster, whether on me or in a safe.

Most of my safes are large enough to fit at least one gun and a reusable dehydrator.

For loading and unloading (not done often) I have buckets or coffee cans of dirt by each safe that I point the muzzle at while cycling the action. If there's an oops the dirt will stop the bullet.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Great question from the OP. my EDC remains in the holster and I minimize the amount of maintenance time holstering and unholstering. They get put on and taken off as a single unit. My feeling is the holster is part of the safety equation.

We don’t have small children. So, the holstered combination does not go into a safe. It is on me or near me at all times.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
My carry gun for the day goes into a Sticky holster and placed on nightstand for night-night time. In the morning it goes back into my carrry holster. (Sometimes it is the same Sticky holster)

All other hand guns are in a gun sock, and in the safe.

·
Premium Member
33,908 Posts
If it is holstered, it is loaded. If it is loaded, it is either in my hand or in the holster.

Reactions: Wavygravy and PEF

·
Registered
925 Posts
I spent 43 years in the leather holster business.
Every day the handgun should be removed from the holster and wiped down, then stored separately from the holster. The holster should be kept in an area having free air flow to allow accumulated moisture to evaporate away.
Every leather product ever made has a tendency to collect moisture from the atmosphere, from the user's body, or from precipitation. This is particularly true of holsters featuring linings of suede leather or other chemically-tanned leather, which retain chemical salts that can be taken into solution by water and have corrosive effects on any ferrous metal (iron, steel, even "stainless steel").
Many handguns manufactured in recent years utilize a manganese-phosphate finish that is very durable in use, but exposure to moisture and chemical salts can quickly etch the finish down to the base metal.
Even stainless steel handguns can be etched badly when exposed for long durations to the chemical salts and moisture that can accumulate in a holster during use.
Take it out at the end of every day and wipe it down with an oily rag or silicone-treated cloth. Put the holster somewhere that it can allow any accumulated moisture to evaporate off.
Enuff said?

·
Premium Member
5,919 Posts
The only guns I have holstered are outside of my safe, most likely on me or close by like my nightstand.

·
Registered
435 Posts
No kids in the home.
OWB fullsize gun carried in leather holster is removed and stored in a hard case in dresser drawer.
IWB CC compact gun carried in Kydex holster is removed as a unit and placed in sock drawer.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
“Stored” wiped down with a silicone towel and placed in a Remora.
at this time I have no safe queens. Keep my tools clean and ready.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have Remora holsters for my carry guns. When my EDC comes out of my Stealthgear IWB holster, it goes into a Remora before being relegated to a drawer or the night stand. Protects the firearm and the furniture. The IWB holster stays clipped to my belt.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts