Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother is in poor health these days and has been in the hospital several times in the last year. The local hospital here clearly posted no firearms. During her most recent stay, my dad spent a day and a half and I went to relieve him so he could get some much needed rest. I went late afternoon and was going to spend the night. After a few hours I went to the ground level, exited the front main entrance to smoke a cigarette on the street, when I notice out of the corner of my eye a young male walking up behind me. I was looking at my phone and he asked if I had a cig. I turned to him and said, sorry but I only had 2 to last me until the next morning. (Truth) He then rambled a few choice words and the turned towards me and said" of course you don't!"

At that point I understood his frustration but the he threw his arms out , took one step towards me and showed me his cut up, bleeding arm and told me to trust him, that I didn't want to mess with him. Talk about putting me on high alert. I thought to myself, one more step towards me and I was going to have to decide to do something quick, fight or flight. Thank god he turned and went about his business. I put my cig out and went back in. Crazy but the rest of the night I couldn't help but dwell on it. Another thing that came to mind is that the other person doesn't necessarily need to be armed to be a serious threat to me. His bloody, self mutilated arm could have been a serious threat in my opinion. Third is to quit smoking! What are your thoughts? Thanks for reading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
My mother is in poor health these days and has been in the hospital several times in the last year. The local hospital here clearly posted no firearms. During her most recent stay, my dad spent a day and a half and I went to relieve him so he could get some much needed rest. I went late afternoon and was going to spend the night. After a few hours I went to the ground level, exited the front main entrance to smoke a cigarette on the street, when I notice out of the corner of my eye a young male walking up behind me. I was looking at my phone and he asked if I had a cig. I turned to him and said, sorry but I only had 2 to last me until the next morning. (Truth) He then rambled a few choice words and the turned towards me and said" of course you
f%$#ing dont!" At that point I understood his frustration but the he threw his arms out , took one step towards me and showed me his cut up, bleeding arm and told me to trust him, that I didn't want to [email protected]#$ with him. Talk about putting me on high alert. I thought to myself, one more step towards me and I was going to have to decide to do something quick, fight or flight. Thank god he turned and went about his business. I put my cig out and went back in. Crazy but the rest of the night I couldn't help but dwell on it. Now I know it clearly states no weapons but sorry, I carry!! I carry concealed and do so well. Unless it's a school or a courthouse, I'm carrying. Another thing that came to mind is that the other person doesn't necessarily need to be armed to be a serious threat to me. His bloody, self mutilated arm could have been a serious threat in my opinion. Third is to quit smoking! What are your thoughts? Thanks for reading.

When I worked at a famous public NYC hospital ER I would routinely get death threats from patients. To the tune of "I will burn your family". But I am a pretty big guy. It was nothing compared to what the female docs got. They'd get rape threats on a daily basis.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I am not sure you could have handled it better. Stayed calm. On alert. Looking for the exit if there was one to be had. Didn't let him get close. Well done.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Two things a hospital can't ban are a walking cane, and a long key fob. Both of these will keep people more than arms length away from you! hospitals attract all the crazy's. That's why they have armed security!

I hope your Mom is doing better. DR

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Security supervisor at a county hospital/trauma center for several years.
Every night something different.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
You ignored your Situational Awareness all over a cigarette. When he first tried to get the cigarette, you should have said 'wait a minute...' and put out yours and gone back inside. Instead you ignored the danger brewing and just stood there.

I'd suggest you analyze why you did that.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
First off, sorry to hear about your mom. That's always a tough situation mentally, so don't be too hard on yourself. Learn from it, of course, but don't kick yourself a bunch...

Secondly, yeah, quit the smoking. It's got a much better chance of having a serious negative effect on your well-being than any 'bad guys', so yeah, give it up. I know it's tough but if I can kick it, anyone can.

Third, hospitals can have all sorts of odd ducks hanging around for whatever reason. If you can't carry, stay on top of what's going on around you. The phone can wait.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I agree with Badger, but I also can understand where your SA wouldn't be on point considering everything else you likely had on your mind. Next time, be more prepared, be armed, though I don't think this situation required it. Most of these types are just looking to intimidate, and not actually get violent.

I can also see the concern over the exposed cuts and blood. I would have notified hospital security, if not the police.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My wife and daughter both work at our local hospital. My daughter works ER admissions, usually 3-11. Said she finally met a legitimately crazy person, and the family who made him that way. The hospital and affiliated clinics all have No Weapons signs up after a guy showed up for a doctor appointment while OC'ing. Unfortunately, security consists of "call 911".

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
The thing to take away is that sometimes 'danger' gives you a chance to rehearse. You had a learning opportunity, you knew something was not right. You let a learning opportunity go by.

Someone saying 'you did right' (no diss), is completely wrong, or mostly wrong, and you can fix this by understanding your opportunity and learned from it.

Just because you didn't get killed or stabbed or shot does not mean you did 'ok'. Learn when your SA alerts you and even if it is a sub-maximal danger situation start practicing such that when the time comes you have become good at listening to the danger cues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm curious what the hospital security or local law enforcement said when you reported it so he'd not be a threat to others after you.
I did not report it. He left the property. I have seen security just walk them to the edge of the street and leave.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with all of your comments. I wasn't clear though, I was armed, always am except for a school or a courthouse with metal detectors. It was an eye opener on S.A.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I was in the same situation August through January. Beside my firearms and pepper spray I carry other things to use as wepons for the times I need to stay legal. Firearms can stay in the car in a safe. If I went outside for what ever I went to my car.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I did not report it. He left the property. I have seen security just walk them to the edge of the street and leave.

Not trying to pile on or diss you for what you did but please do not make a decision to not report an incident to security or authorities based on what you "believe" to be their anticipated response. You don't know if they may be actively looking for this person for various reasons including fugitive or mental patient or even that hospital security may be able to warn employees to be cautious when leaving the facility.

Reporting things like this have no down side other than a few moments of your time. The up side is you may stop a world of grief in someone else's life.

Hope things are going well with your mother.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts