Defensive Carry banner

Do you use a different set of magazines at the street as opposed to the range?

• I keep a separate set of magazines exclusively for range use.

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • I use the same set of magazines at the range and on the street

Votes: 63 82.9%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point during the first year or two of firearms training, our instructor pointed out to us that it would be wise to have separate magazines for training, i.e., range use, as opposed to those we carry every day. This made a lot of sense to me, as obviously when you are training you may intentionally, or accidentally, drop magazines during reloading, especially while moving. When this occurs they are obviously subject to damage, dust, dirt, rocks, etc.

If you only shoot at indoor ranges where you can't shoot from the holster, this is obviously not an issue. If you use a dump pouch, this is probably not an issue for you either.

For me, I am a firm believer to train as close to what I would normally do in the real world as possible. I use all of the same gear I use on the street, but I have magazines that I only use at the range and magazines that I only use for carry on the street. The only thing I do differently at the range is wear ear protection.

So my question for the day is, do you use a different set of magazines for the street as opposed to what you use at the range?

·
Registered
323 Posts
if you have money to burn.

one should know if they have a damaged mag body, and replace / fix it.
even at the range, a damaged mag is a danger.
( per gun?)?????
how many mags do you carry daily?
how many mags do you use at the range?
how many mags do you own?

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I consider having two sets of mags cheap insurance.

Not exactly sure how a damaged mag is a danger at the range????

I carry at least one spare mag most days, sometimes two. I use three mags at the range, but I own more. I probably own at least six mags for each gun I own, unless you're talking my G26 where I use street G17 mags as back-up for carry.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I use the same magazine. In fact if I buy a new mag it has to do well at the range or I will get rid of it. I won't even keep a bad magazine around.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I have kept separate magazines for carry and range for many years.

What started me keeping separate magazines was having a magazine failure during a two day training session. The thought of that happening during a defensive encounter is not one that I care to hold onto.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have extra magazines for each pistol I own. I clean em up, make sure they are operational at the range, and then they can be used in any environment or situation. If I drop them at the range, and/or in an outdoors environment, I just make sure they are clean, dry and not dinged up. I keep an extra mag on me. An extra one or two in the vehicle and the house. None of them are a mystery, or unused. They have all had exercise.

It is nice to have them all gathered up for the range just so I don't have to keep loading cartridges.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I have separate mags for the range and carry simply because I leave the carry mags loaded with HSTs unless I'm cleaning the mag. The carry mags have of course been used on the range enough that I trust them. Of course I also advocate having at least a half dozen range mags per gun, jus as a starting point. I'd rather load mags at home than on the range if I'm paying for time.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I keep separate mags, mostly because I hate uploading and downloading ammo depending on what I'm doing. All are numbered so I can keep track of any that have an issue.

Some of my match/training guns have 15+ mags each, so keeping a couple loaded with the "good stuff" doesn't impede training/practice. Also my range is graveled and they do get dinged up pretty good and dirty during reloads. I'd hate to spend the extra time cleaning them after practice sessions.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I use separate magazines for range and carry. Simply because I mostly EDC 1911's.
I have a pile of cheap range magazines to play with where an FTF is not an issue.
All of my EDC carry mags are high quality Wilson's and have never had any issue with them.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Range mags get dropped , dirty and occasionally kicked or stepped on. Carry mags stay loaded with defensive ammo.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Magazines are a functional component of the firearm. Personally I feel better knowing that each magazine I carry has seen hundreds or thousands of rounds without failure, just like the rest of the gun has.

I'd view having different range and carry mags as similar to having range and carry recoil springs. There's actually an argument for both, but in either case I think it'd be wise to make sure each "carry" spring and magazine has been used for at least a couple hundred rounds, to verify that it's made correctly and the springs are broken in.

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
I have separate mags for the range and carry simply because I leave the carry mags loaded with HSTs unless I'm cleaning the mag. The carry mags have of course been used on the range enough that I trust them. Of course I also advocate having at least a half dozen range mags per gun, jus as a starting point. I'd rather load mags at home than on the range if I'm paying for time.
Same here. I have two mags loaded with defensive ammo and do not unload them to practice at the range. My Sig and Walther mags are made by Mec Gar so I trust them. I have three mags each for the range. I'm still waiting to see just how long the springs will last until they fail from fatigue.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I don't think anyone is advocating taking a magazine out of the packaging, loading it up with hollow points, and carrying it. Of course you range test all magazines.

When new mags have cycled the variety of ammo I have, they earn a spot in the carry rotation; 3 per gun. Old (still reliable) magazines are marked for range use. They are used in speed reloads, tactical reloads, are dropped, fall, kicked around, and cleaned up at the end of the day.

I found cheap, functional magazines for range use for my 1911. My carry magazines are much more expensive. All carry magazines stay loaded with defensive ammunition. Unloading and reloading the same rounds can cause the case to deform. Shooting a magazine full of premium hollow points every time I go to the range gets needlessly expensive.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I stopped moving mags into both roles decades ago. For multiple reasons.

Magazines?
G17, there's at least 50 17 and 20 32 rounders NIB with 8 17's used for range work. All OEM mags
1911, 20 8 rounders for practice and 8 reserved for street use. Practice can be junk mags to exactly the same as the 47d's or Cobra mags, but it's 47d's and cobras only that get sd duty

Range mags get beat up, I'm not carrying a beat up range mag, not even a little beat up. Anymore than I'd carry an almost clean sd carry. Mag prices are the least of my worries where my butt may hang in the balance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts