Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
That sounds like a situation where you either aren’t ready to reholsfer or you don’t need to be holding them at gunpoint.
Well, if police are showing up, at some point one would have to go from holding the gun to not holding the gun. Whenever that happens in the scenario, it seems better to be able to safely holster the gun before police are out of their vehicles, without having to look away from the attacker, than to drop the gun to the ground.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Well, if police are showing up, at some point one would have to go from holding the gun to not holding the gun. Whenever that happens in the scenario, it seems better to be able to safely holster the gun before police are out of their vehicles, without having to look away from the attacker, than to drop the gun to the ground.
If I were the bad guy and you holstered your gun while police were still down the street. I’d get up and leave.

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
If I were the bad guy and you holstered your gun while police were still down the street. I’d get up and leave.
He can do that whether the gun's holstered or not.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Or walk away anyway. Threat is over and leaving.
Going to shoot an unarmed person in the back?
LEO would frown upon witnessing that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Exactly my point.

He can do that whether the gun's holstered or not.
I would argue up until you decide to holster your gun it depends on your state and situation. Either way, you have decided the threat is over if you’re holstering your gun.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
If he is that dangerous, you probably want to keep your gun out until he is under control.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
That is perfectly sensible but, people tend to do what is natural and the natural place for your finger is on the trigger. This has been proven even with LEO's who swore they never touched the trigger but, the video showed that most of them had finger on trigger.. subconsciously. So your either a perfect human without error or all those LEO's were idiots?
No, nobody is perfect. However, if we're talking LEO and current training, I have been on the range with a lot of officer candidates at the Academy. I was never issued a vest, but I can state with absolute certainty that today, I wouldn't get within 500 yards of such a firing line without one - or preferably a ballistic shield. Like most, I was in some scary events, but by far the worst was getting muzzle swept by new officers with either their duty weapon, or worse, fumbling with an unfamiliar weapon while trying to secure it on the street.

I can also state this with a fair degree of certainty. I've been told that prior to the time I joined the force in 2003 a great many candidates were "gun people", that is, they had handled and shot extensively prior to going to the Academy. Since then? Not quite. Of those I asked, probably 70% had never even held a real gun before. With the current "war on police" in full swing, I don't expect the situation has improved.

@Rabbit212 I've only been handling guns for 66 years now. I was taught about the brain being the only trustworthy safety at 5 years old, and my dad stressed that to me every time I shot a gun until the time I left for college. I've stressed it to myself every day since. There are things I have forgotten over the years...even to the point of forgetting my anniversary and some important birthdays, but I've never had my brain fail me. Not once - ever - at least on critical things.

Now maybe one day it will. I can't guarantee anything in this life, but I can tell you that using your brain is absolutely indispensable, whether you're handling a gun, driving a car, flying a plane, or building guidance systems for missiles with nuclear bombs in the nose. When your brain loses it, you're probably well on your way to the grave.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
That's not really where I was coming from about the grip safety. I wasn't talking about holstering. It's just the fact that there's a striker-fired gun in my pocket with one in the pipe. I feel better having some form of manual safety on board.
You consider the grip safety a "manual safety"?

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Late to this thread......

Pretty ingenious device, and if I still owned Glocks, I would have one on each of them.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I remember the Springfield one being protruded when cocked but the PPS classic one for sure only begins to come out as you squeeze the trigger.

It wasn't my gun but I do remember thumbing it and trying to pull the trigger when unloaded and couldn't make it go click.

There's threads about it over at the Walther Forums.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pps/29234-thumb-over-cocking-indicator-when-reholstering.html

Maybe @Militant can test with it unloaded and confirm for us.

@matthew03 was correct! :image035:

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
Is there anyone on this thread with a Gen 2, 3 or 4 model 17-41 with a stock OEM trigger who thinks this device might be worthwhile and would like to try it?

Back in January of last year, I bought a G26 Gen 4 three days before they announced the Gen 5. Well, sucks to be me. In the spring, I bought the SCD for it, and within a few weeks Glock announced the Salute to Veterans program, where I could buy a G26.5 for the Blue Label price, which turned out to be $100 less than the price I would otherwise pay for it. I couldn't resist that, so I traded my Gen 4 in for it, but not before putting the stock slide plate back on. I had to buy a different SCD for the Gen 5, so the old one, in essentially new condition has been sitting in my basement in its original packaging for almost a year and a half.

I don't need any money for it, and I'd love to see it in the hands of someone who would appreciate it. I would even pay for a USPS Priority Mail envelope, because I don't trust the regular mail. All I would ask is that if you like it, post something here on this forum about your experience, and if you don't, pass it along to someone else who might like to try it.

Well, any takers?
Received the SCD today (thanks @Talldog!) and installed it in less than a minute onto my G26.

It works as advertised.

Only negative I can see is it rattles a bit, but if they put a spring in it to keep it open, you’d introduce the possibility of gunk getting under it. If they put a spring to keep it closed, it would change the feel of the trigger pull. I carry my keys on a carabiner, so I rattle anyway!

I’ve never wanted a manual safety, because I don’t want to introduce another step “left of bang” while under stress. The SCD is unique in that it defaults to “fire” and only goes to “safe” momentarily, when you want it to...like when holstering.

I also confirmed that you can still get a contact shot off by pressing your thumb against the rear sight, keeping the slide in battery.

I’m going to run a few hundred rounds through the pistol soon for final proofing, but I have a feeling my other Glocks will end up wearing these too.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I’ve three Glocks, a Gen2 (for matches), Gen3 (EDC), and Gen4 (OWB working or relaxing on my own property). Neither I nor any of them want the SCD. I’ll make neither assumptions nor claims one way or the other about the SCD nor especially about our Forum members who’ve elected to implement it. Good for them.

I holster slowly. If holstering to my really nice Appalachian Concealment AIWB holster then I remove the holster, insert the weapon, then return holster to waistband. If holstering OWB then I’m careful to not muzzle my R foot, leg, or hip. I choose to be especially careful with my tools and use them as engineered and manufactured. That’s what I deem best for me. YMMV

81 - 100 of 115 Posts