Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
42,137 Posts
No, a gun is supposed to fire when one pulls the trigger. Wouldn't want one that didn't no matter what type of action.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
19,961 Posts
Not because of safety concerns, but because I don't like striker-fired plastic guns. My only striker-fired handgun is a Colt 1908 Hammerless .25 Vest Pocket manufactured in 1915.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Anyone avoid striker carry for this reason?
No. All of my semi-autos are striker fired with no safety. Finger never goes inside the trigger guard until the gun is pointing towards the target. When gun is being brought off target, trigger finger leaves trigger guard and rests along frame. Gun is looked into holster. Having your mind totally focused on what's going on, including holstering, and good trigger finger discipline avoids negligent discharges. Intentional discharges will be pointed at the target.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Yes, I avoid striker fired all together. I float my gun around to various positions including appendix and pocket sometimes through out the same day. This calls for a lot of administrative handling. I prefer a 10-12 pound long stroke revolver trigger for this purpose. Nothing wrong with strikers for holster carry though I just prefer longer, stiffer triggers for EDC.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
The Glock triggers are about as safe as you can get. The biggest variable is the operator.

·
Registered
544 Posts
No, all of my and my wife's defensive carry semi-auto pistols are striker fired at this time. I also have a S&W J frame model 38 for those times that "I am not carrying" ;) - it is definitely not striker fired :D

Reactions: Wild Onion

·
Premium Member
8,544 Posts
Anyone avoid striker carry for this reason?
What is the particular safety concern?

Fire from catastrophic failure?

Fire from unintentional pull of the trigger?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do as you feel comfortable. I started out with a hammer fired 380 and now carry a striker fired 9mm with a safety I only engage when holstering. Then the safety is disengaged. While others opinions are nice, in the end you are the one who has to decide for himself what you’re comfortable with.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Do as you feel comfortable. I started out with a hammer fired 380 and now carry a striker fired 9mm with a safety I only engage when holstering. Then the safety is disengaged. While others opinions are nice, in the end you are the one who has to decide for himself what you’re comfortable with.
Yep, you have to go with what feels right for you. Strikers never felt quite right to me , even after carrying them for years, so I don't carry em any longer.
Felt the same way about semi autos in general so don't even own one today.

My wife used to give me grief for my fear of standing right on the edge of heights until I saw first hand her fear of snakes. Now we just let each other do what works for each of us. It may seem irrational to some but, who cares?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I once wanted a safety mechanism on my striker fired guns. That's why I got a Springfield XDM with the palm swell safety.

Now, I've come to not want any safeties on my carry guns. No need to risk having a failure when in danger. Safeties can be a double edged sword.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
A striker fired gun with a drop safe trigger mechanism is as safe as anything else. Just dont put one of the super light race gun triggers in it for EDC. Leave the gamer gear for the range, and keep a reasonable trigger (stock always works great) in your carry guns.

·
Premium Member
8,544 Posts
For what it’s worth, I only carry a revolver or a series 80 1911 cocked and locked in appendix carry. I’m probably overly cautious about this.

For the revolver, I could only fire the gun if I had pulled the trigger before I inserted into the holster. Once a cylinder makes contact with the holster edges, The trigger pull cannot generate enough Force to overcome the rotational torque caused by a tight fitting holster rubbing against the cylinder sides.

As for a 1911, in cocked and locked the likelihood of negligently discharging the gun is almost nil. And For a catastrophic failure of a sear, The half stop ledge also has to fail, as does the firing pin block. I’ve never read anything about such a catastrophic failure occurring in a series 80.

I will carry a striker fired gun or a series 70 outside the waistband at 3:30.

So for both revolver revolver and a 1911, I feel protected from my own stupidity, and from catastrophic failures. I admit I am overly cautious when it comes to appendix carry, but failure in that position is often a fatal wound.

that’s just my hangup and I can live with it.

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
I own all, & have carried all. Currently carry "striker", & "double action revolver". Before that, S.A., D.A.R. and SA/DA. As @Bad Bob said, kinda, the "possible variable", is the OPERATOR! "Gun's have no agenda".

1 - 20 of 108 Posts