Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi All

Most strikers I can shoot more accurately than TDA, DAO, or LEM. However, in over 15 years of CC, I've never carried one. The reason is fear of A/N discharge. I practice, but tight groups come much easier with aforementioned guns I don't carry. Any one been there and have good advise?
I noticed that the first post you created was in November of 2019. It is quoted above.

This thread is only the second one you have created since joining the forum. It poses the exact same question as the first one.

Time to make a decision?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just as @Bad Bob said... most issues are user error.
Yeah but, I've learned that mistakes happen. I don't want one of my mistakes (witch are more likely under pressure) to be painful -- embarrassment is bad enough. I had a striker on a Kahr K9 break on the sear-end and the firing pin block wasn't in the right place to stop it from denting the primer. Luckily, the Kahr does the final cock of the striker on the trigger pull. Gotta love those MIM parts...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Yes and No?
I have carried a G19, even a G34, but selected the S&W M&P 45 2.0 WITH Thumb Safety, about the right size & weight AND in 45 ACP. Since I've shot 1911's since 1978 I was comfortable with the Thumb Safety and liked the extra security.
I don't like the grip angle of a Glock as much for concealment while the S&W is much better.
As long as you're running a Factory Striker/Spring and not shoving it in your pocket, and have proper trigger finger control, it shouldn't be a problem though.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
To me it would be the same as carrying a double action revolver cocked a 1911 cocked, unlocked and grip safety defeated or my Beretta 96 cocked, the safety is always off on that one when carrying. My finger never goes on the trigger period on any of my guns period unless I'm ready to shoot. It's ingrained and would take a conscious effort to do that since that's how I trained myself from day one of owning guns. There are other variables that can cause the trigger to engage besides your finger.
I've had at least 3 hard bike crashes carrying a gun, I've dropped a gun several times, Ive heard of several instances of striker fired guns discharging while holstering and I seriously doubt that was because someone tried to holster with their finger on the trigger.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
No, not for me. EDC is a Sig P365 with external safety, plus it has an internal safety that is only disengaged with a trigger pull. I carry with the safety on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I carry a G23 with one in the pipe most every day on other days I carry other striker fired same way but I also carry da/sa or 1911 sa only on occasion.

I like that with my 23 it won't go bang until I want it to and when I draw the only thing I have to think about besides pulling the trigger is if I have to activate my light.

I trained and carried a G17 or G19 as a TEMT, searching houses with my rifle or pistol in hand and constantly holstering and unholstering and never once worried.

Thanks
mreeveshp

·
Registered
798 Posts
yes and no.......
i would not mind owning.....say, a glock.

But the nature of the design and my comfort level would limit methods of carry...

i simply could not see myself pocket carry, mexican carry, or even iwb carrying say a glock...unless its with an empty chamber........but that's my problem and bias....and not the fault of the gun.

the most common safety statement is to keep your finger off the trigger...and a dang good rule it is........but it also probably is the most often violated rule from novice to distinguished shooters in stress and non stress events...

and then the possibility of something else getting in the trigger guard defeating the passive safety....a foreign object....and some reported cases from memory of poorly designed holsters......but its still the operator's error that allows it.

that would leave me with owb.....and very content with the striker passive trigger safety system and a loaded chamber.

...but those are my own admitted limitations and concerns as i have not worked extensively with a glock or other such striker/short trigger/passive safety designs....and you probably could not convince me differently as it is something that i would have to experience and build confidence with over time.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
There's enough striker fired pistols out there with a options on ether grip safety or thumb safety you can fine what you like with or with out a extra external safety . I have both and also carry a 1911 as a primary carry but my wife has watched me sweep for a thumb safety that was not there too !

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
To quote someone "keep the bugger finger off the bang switch" any there will be no problems.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
To quote someone "keep the bugger finger off the bang switch" any there will be no problems.
Easy to say but, much harder to actually do in real life. I have seen cops who swear they never put a finger near the trigger in drills only to be shown the film footage proving them wrong. This is with no life threatening stress introduced or the sympathetic grasp reaction to other stimuli.
Your statement works very well with perfect human action but, perfect human action is a oxymoron.
Not to mention items other than trigger fingers contacting the trigger.
To say a 5.5 pound trigger has the exact same margin of safety as a 12 pound trigger would require a person to suspend basic physics entirely. We could debate how important that margin of safety actually is but, we can't argue physics.

·
Premium Member
8,590 Posts
and then the possibility of something else getting in the trigger guard defeating the passive safety....a foreign object....and some reported cases from memory of poorly designed holsters......but its still the operator's error that allows it.
That's the main reason that my preference for IWB is a holster that does not collapse when the gun is withdrawn. One more possibility of something engaging the trigger eliminated.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Over time I have come to trust the safeties designed into the Glock. But I would still prefer Glocks to have an external safety that locks the trigger until disengaged. ( I still worry about shirt tails etc. getting inside the trigger guard. ) When I feel the need for more capacity than is available in a revolver, with the first shot immediately available without deactivation of a manual safety, the Glock in a proper holster is my compromise choice. As for external safeties that lock the trigger, the paddle format used on the S&W M&P22 Compact is my preferrence. Just my 2 cents to suit me.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I carry both striker and hammer fired. All are in the 2:30 or 3:00 position.
My favorite is a S&W model 19 hammer fired.
My other options are a GP100 or SP101, which are both striker.
I do not have any holes open in the cylinder with the hammer at rest.
That is how I trained in my early childhood, and i can offer that president
Eisenhower was elected in that time frame.
The only semi in my stable is a 22lr being a Colt Woodsman.
So! No safeties on or safeties turned off on the frame where applicable.
I have chosen revolvers on purpose. Now, if the boat doesn't rock too much---!
Those are my opinions, and mine alone! Stay safe everyone. Tom TKH

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Anyone avoid striker carry for this reason?
Not "striker vs. hammer", per se. Does not matter, does not make the difference most people seem to think it does. Just two different ways of driving a firing pin into a primer.

What I worry about is carelessly, inadvertently, unconsciously pulling the trigger. The "brain fart" ND. Any bit of design, or tech, that mitigates that, is good.

My current carry gun is a small revolver. These considerations are a good part of why that's my choice.

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
Easy to say but, much harder to actually do in real life. I have seen cops who swear they never put a finger near the trigger in drills only to be shown the film footage proving them wrong. This is with no life threatening stress introduced or the sympathetic grasp reaction to other stimuli.
Your statement works very well with perfect human action but, perfect human action is a oxymoron.
Not to mention items other than trigger fingers contacting the trigger.
To say a 5.5 pound trigger has the exact same margin of safety as a 12 pound trigger would require a person to suspend basic physics entirely. We could debate how important that margin of safety actually is but, we can't argue physics.
One reason for my preference of DAO. Insurance.

Reactions: ButterSmooth
21 - 40 of 110 Posts