Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and I mean really stuck case.

Just resizing some .308 from my last range day. I tried Hornady's One shot spray lube for the first time.

I now have a case stuck in the die.:mad: So stuck the shellholder just tore off the case rim, so no getting it out that way. It's a Lee die by the way. I took off the nut that held the expander ball/decapping pin in place and then tried to hammer it out. No avail. I don't have a stuck case remover tool, but I think I'll be getting one soon. Do they work if the decapping pin is still sticking through the flash hole? Any thing else I should try?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I've had a case stuck in the chamber but never in a die Have you tried heating the die slightly and then try to drive it out. The trouble is the pin shaft dose not serve as a good driver for getting the case out of the die.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
sometimes you can not get one out. just throw the die away and buy a new one. then throw away the one shot lube and go back to the lube pad and some good case lube.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
take a drill and drill the primer pocket,you will need the correct bit for the tap you will thread the hole with,after drilling and tapping the hole place a socket over the stuck case and then thread a bolt with a washer into the threaded hole,as you tighten down the bolt it should start pulling the case out of the die

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the 'throw it away' option is the winner. Same goes for that one shot lube.

As a last ditch effort, I clamped it into a vise and pounded on it. Even if the case had come out, I'm pretty sure something would be bent or deformed by now.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Go to MidwayUSA or Brownells. They have tools for removing stuck cases from dies, and it's almost identical to what Dukal posted.

If it's a Lee Die, you're going to have as much in it as you would if you buy a new die set.

Don't sweat it, buddy. Everyone who reloads rifle ammo will eventually stick one. Mine was a .300 Winmag, and yes, it was with Hornady One Shot. That stuff works on .223, but nothing bigger. I now use Dillon Case Lube and have no problems 'tall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know about the one shot lube. I'll avoid it from now on. No worries about the die, it gave me an excuse to upgrade to a nicer set with better seater die.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Write Hornady about their one shot lube and they might do the right thing and replace your die. It can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
take a drill and drill the primer pocket,you will need the correct bit for the tap you will thread the hole with,after drilling and tapping the hole place a socket over the stuck case and then thread a bolt with a washer into the threaded hole,as you tighten down the bolt it should start pulling the case out of the die
+1

Works for me.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Lee has directions on how to get a stuck case out on their website (don't use a regular hammer, a 3 or 5 lber works best with a drift punch) or send the die to Lee and for $5 and they'll get it out for you. Try putting it in the freezer for a few hours or soaking in WD40 overnight.

One Shot works fine - just hit the brass from each side with the spray going down at about a 45 deg angle so it gets in the case neck as well on the outside of the case. If you're using a loading block like the RCBS, the cases may go too far down in the block and the spray doesn't hit the bottom of the case very well - I really like the Lee loading block, much easier to use as it has 4 dff sized holes to properly accommodate a wider variety of cases.

Those stuck case removers were invented long before One Shot came along. Have you cleaned your dies lately?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Try PB blaster then hammer it out. but then again you could probably get a new die for 10 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
18,132 Posts
Over the years I have removed cases from dies when every other method failed by chucking up a die in the lathe and then drilling the head and boring the case out. So far, I have "saved" every die by using that method.

If you have any friends or know of anyone with a lathe and the skills you might get them to try it.

It couldnt hurt and you might even save the die.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts