Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after reloading pistol calibers for about 3 months successfully I decided to try my hand at .223. I am using Hornady Custom Grade die set on a Hornady Lock & Load progressive press. Having problems right from square one with a couple of cases getting stuck in resizing die. Have tryed using Hornady One Shot lube and now Hornady Unique case lube. Dies have been cleaned more than once. Being a newbie to reloading I am not sure what I am doing wrong. The cases seem to have proper amount of lube, seem to go into the die with not much effort but then get stuck. Have been lucky so far and able to get the cases out, did crack the expander. Had a spare one. After it happening twice I don't want to push my luck. Has anyone else had problems with this brand of dies? Could the expander have anything to do with it? Any help on what I am doing wrong would be great? So far zero .223 reloaded, just problems :frown:

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Are you getting stuck on the die or the expander?

Reactions: Bandit99

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Remove the expander from the die and see how it does. Mic your expander. I would think if the expander went in it should come out. Are you cleaning the case mouth? What does the case look like after you run it through the die?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I clean the cases in a wet tumbler with stainless media. I also did clean and lightly lube the inside of the case mouth as well as the rest of the outside of case. I have sprayed the inside of the die with the Hornady One shot cleaner and lube. As you stated the expander goes in should come out, Checked the expander, its .224. Not hanging up on expander, it's fully up into die and won't move. Maybe I just need to lube the heck out of the cases? Try using a separate expander die? Just me being a newbie reloader could be the cause.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did remove the expander and ran a few cases. No hang ups. Now i'm really confused.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Are you making sure that the expander is not in the case neck at the same time the die is trying to size the neck. That would be my guess.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the die set up with 3/16 of the decapping pin from bottom of die. The expander is screwed onto the spindle. Not sure there is any kind of adjustment to setting the expander. Tomorrow will make sure the cases are thoroughly lubed before trying again.

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
If it continues, I would call Hornady customer service.
I had a problem with RCBS dies. Switched to Hornady and had no more stuck cases. I could not get a consistent seat/crimp and went to a Lee factory crimp die. An extra step but no more crushed rounds.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I'd lube the cases until you stop sticking them as long as you don't start getting dimples on the shoulders. I believe there is no such thing as too much lube unless you're getting dimples.

·
Registered
348 Posts
There are several posts over on Thehighroad.org about Hornday One Shot and why its not a good idea to use it. I too have gotten cases stuck in dies using it. I now use imperial sizing wax. It comes in a small tin and will last three lifetimes. I agree that dimples are a sign there is too much lube and its time to back off.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well,, I couldn't wait till tomorrow.....went to the reloading bench earlier tonight,,,,started from square one. Disassembled die,,,cleaned.. went over each step,,,,followed everyone's advice here. I made sure die was set up correctly. Used more lube than I was using. Success, ran about 50 cases,, not one stuck. A few cases seemed like if i pushed further they would stick so I backed off and put a little more lube and they were fine. I guess I can chalk this experience up to being a newbie reloader. Once again you guys have helped me thru another problem. I am sure I will be coming back in the future with more questions and problems as I keep learning the art of reloading. Thanks again guys.

Reactions: FLSlim

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I use the Hornady single stage press, otherwise I'm using the same things as you including wet tumble in SS pins.

When I lube the brass I put it in a loading tray in the shallow holes (have to be a little careful not to spill the brass), not down in the deeper holes, so most of the case is exposed. I spray at a slight downward angle, 45 degrees or so (this gets lube into neck), and spray to all 4 sides of the tray in a motion just like spray painting something and start at the far side of the tray and move towards the near side. I hope my explanation makes sense! :smile: I have never had a case get stuck using this method. When the case comes out of the sizing die it gets a quick wipe with a cloth.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Glad you got the issue resolved! There are a bunch of reported issues with One Shot. I use your set-up but lube with Imperial or my "home brew" of alcohol and lanolin and never had an issue with stuck cases when sizing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts