Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do most of you guys that carry IWB require that you buy a larger size pants (waist) for it to fit correctly?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I can fit mine in the same jeans I always wear. I don't wear my super tight, but also don't wear super baggy either. I just have to loosen up the belt a bit.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I only have one pair of pants that I can't wear IWB and those are my only pair of jeans. It is downright painful to carry in those. I just switch to pocket carry the PF9 when I wear'em. Otherwise everything fits okay. Although with all these Christmas dinners coming up.....might have to goto pocket carry full time!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
My jeans are 1" bigger than my waist size. I think it's perfect for IWB.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
I don't worry about pants being an extra bit larger when I use my IWB/SOB with the 'palm out' draw...it tucks in against the kidney without needing extra room.:comeandgetsome::icon_neutral:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I only have one pair of pants that I can't wear IWB and those are my only pair of jeans. It is downright painful to carry in those. I just switch to pocket carry the PF9 when I wear'em. Otherwise everything fits okay. Although with all these Christmas dinners coming up.....might have to goto pocket carry full time!
Just dont be sitting across a beloved family member during dinner with your 9mm pointing right at them, chambered nonetheless.:ziplip:

My jeans are 1" bigger than my waist size. I think it's perfect for IWB.
I have a 32" waist but wear 34" jeans. I have what you may call the lean and muscular build at 5'11 190lbs.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
No need to go larger for me. My Mtac fits fine IWB in my jeans and dress slacks. Guess it depends more on body type, degree of fitness and what you are carrying. Good belt and holster is always helpful.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
For me it depends on which setup and what pair of pants. Takes some trial and error is what I go by.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Guess it depends more on body type, degree of fitness and what you are carrying. Good belt and holster is always helpful.
That, and what size pants you wear by "default" (assuming you've never carried).

When I started carrying, I needed to go one size up, but I didn't wear "ovesized" clothes before.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I don't worry about pants being an extra bit larger when I use my IWB/SOB with the 'palm out' draw...it tucks in against the kidney without needing extra room.:comeandgetsome::icon_neutral:

I'm going to guess that you only carry glocks that way and not varients of 1911's?

Oh... and to be on topic, I wear jeans 90% of the time, and some are a real pain for IWB.... I know my wife makes all my pants shrink in the wash

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think it totally depends on how tight you wear your pants in the waist. If the pants you have now are tight in the waist and have little or no give if you were to pull on them, then you probably need one size larger pants to fit an IWB holster comfortably. Note also that IWB is all about what you are willing to tolerate, and some people just can't or won't do it.:gah:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I really do understand the dilema of the OP. The men in my family (with the exception of my grandson) have no butts to hold their pants up. My grandfather cinched his belt up on his slacks but they still tended to sag, my Dad wore coveralls to work, and "jump suits" from the mid 70's til he died a few years ago, or wore suspenders with slacks. I have worn "tight fittin' jeans" for nearly 50 years just to keep my pants up, but having gone to IWB carry (while not on the job) for the last few years I've been getting some jeans in the one inch larger size (I know my wife can still shrink them anyway), but have also been considering the above mentioned suspenders that attach to the belt. During the work day I carry a snubbie in a OWB pancake holster which is no problem with the tight jeans, but when I add a 3 pound stake hammer stuck in the back pocket along with several other hand tools either on the belt or in pockets, even the tight jeans can work their way down. Being "glutus maximus challenged" should be considered a physical handicap making those afflicted with said malady elidgeable for funding for custom fit jeans, belts, suspenders and holsters.

surv:smile:

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Only if they're tight to begin with! :wink:

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Seems you got your answer, so I will just say:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I think it depends on how tight your pants are now and how wide your holster+pistol will be.

I wear 34" normally but I'm buying 36" to make it more comfortable. I always wear a belt though. This allows me to carry my M&P with no pain.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
i tend to wear my clothes loose and comfortable so its fits without and issue and with room to spare in most pants...when i go to dress slacks that are tailored a bit closer its a stretch...it doesnt have anything to do with your build...it has everything to do with how you wear your clothes...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
For me it depends on the pants. If it jeans, and they are relaxed fit, no issues with normal waste size. For kakhis and the like I sometimes go up one size. It also can depend on how thick the holster is and if I am carrying my Sig, my j-frame or my k-frame.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I personally stayed the same ,but I choose to carry appendix. This style has permited me to same with all my current fashion trends.
If I would carry at 4, I probally would have to make a size adjustment. I did not like the larger shirt and pant idea, I was not comfortable.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts