Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The left preys upon the poor and disenfranchised. That's their "thing" along with some powerful rich folk who want to use the support of the masses to further their power grab.

We are missing an absolutely golden opportunity by backpedaling right now. The campaign should do the following.

1) Point out that the rich and the political office holders get body guards so they have protection. Good for the rich and powerful. Sucks to be anyone else.

2)Point out that the poor and "outsiders" are victimized at a disproportionately higher rate than those snobby power mongers. This includes Gays, minorities, often disabled, including Vets.

3) Say we are tired of being pawns and easy prey. It's time to protect ourselves. The cops don't even come into many minority communities. Who ya gonna call?
Screw waiting for someone, take care of it yourself. "Get a gun because the life you may save may be your own".

4) Guns by themselves are not enough. You need training on safely handling the gun. Make sure you are not a potential accidental shooting statistic. Take some classes,
be prepared.

Ladies, gentlemen, What have I missed? My general point is that we should be trying to enlighten the power base of the rich and famous anti gunners. Use Bloomberg and Gates as poster children examples of how they tell the poor how to live but for themselves? They are protected by guns.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
The left preys upon the poor and disenfranchised. That's their "thing" along with some powerful rich folk who want to use the support of the masses to further their power grab.
Preying upon the poor, disenfranchised and ignorant is not the sole domain of the left. Look no further than the Trump campaign to see rubes being manipulated.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
It seems to be a rule of thumb that whichever side gains the PR advantage, forcing the other side to answer and play catch-up, wins. The NRA and other pro-2A groups need to take the offense and do exactly what you've suggested and more.

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
I have a background in media communication, worked in marketing and I have been a business and political speechwriter. The problem with the OP is it's more intellectual arguments, which is all our side ever seems to come up with. #1 especially has been done to death and ignored. Intellectual arguments will not win this fight!

You cannot compete with dozens of people killed in a nightclub with logic. You need stuff like the stories in the NRA Armed Citizen, only with security camera footage, video reenactments and interviews with the defenders. You need visceral communication. You need viewers saying, "Darn, I need to get up out of my chair and buy a gun, NOW." Then let the opposition try to tell them logically they can't have one. You do not tell Americans they can't have something they want and get them to support you.

Our side has has a lot of passion, but we don't channel it well into our communications. We want to reason against the other side and they are not reasonable. They "wave the bloody shirts" and it gets more attention and mindshare. We need to wave our own bloody shirts.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Preying upon the poor, disenfranchised and ignorant is not the sole domain of the left. Look no further than the Trump campaign to see rubes being manipulated.
He's a Leftist too .

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No argument from me there but my point has to do with Gun Control

·
Premium Member
6,137 Posts
Just keep talking about Hillary and Bill and the Bern having protection by guys that carry. Why can't Joe the Plumber protect himself? Why shouldn't the Democratic gestapo have their security disarm if they take weapons away from the rest of us? Equality means Equality.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just keep talking about Hillary and Bill and the Bern having protection by guys that carry. Why can't Joe the Plumber protect himself? When the Democratic gestapo have their security disarm if they take weapons away from the rest of us? Equality means Equality.
EXACTLY, Beat them with that stick till they cry.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
I think it's time for 2nd Amendment supporters to start exercising their FIRST Amendment rights (above, emphasis mine) and start showing up outside government offices, meeting places, public squares and very public venues. And I don't mean once, I mean once a week!

If the Left can organize "gay pride parades" and the like, we should do the same. No violence, no law-breaking, no disrespect. Peaceful, like Rolling Thunder on Memorial Day. But visible.

Gun owners seem to sink into the shadows. Time to change that. If you can't show up carrying, bring a photo of your gun (or any gun). If you have a concealed carry permit, why worry about printing? You have a permit for that! It's time to show what a "well regulated militia" looks like!

The Left has been using Saul Alinsky tactics for decades (they were the topic of Shrillary's thesis paper, you know). It's time fight fire with fire. Disown the gun-grabbers. Make fun of them. Marginalize them. Remember Patrick Swayze in Road House?
If somebody gets in your face and calls you, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal.
But don't forget he also said,
I want you to be nice until it's time to not be nice.
It's still time to be nice. But the time to not be nice seems to be rapidly approaching.

·
Registered
944 Posts
He's a Leftist too .
Just because I like this quote doesn't mean I won't vote for Trump -- assuming it is Trump against Hillary, I would vote for Trump 3,000 times before even considering the alternative.
But if Trump gets elected, we better think of how to hold his feet to the fire (I hope not but I fear this will be the case). Sorry about the off topic.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
The left preys upon the poor and disenfranchised. ...
Ladies, gentlemen, What have I missed? ....
Emotion.

Decisions are often made by emotion, and the anti-gun left has figured out how to leverage that. The pro-2A community needs to connect with more people on an emotional level. The #shootback message is a good start.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

We are missing an absolutely golden opportunity by backpedaling right now. The campaign should do the following.

1) Point out that the rich and the political office holders get body guards so they have protection. Good for the rich and powerful. Sucks to be anyone else.

2)Point out that the poor and "outsiders" are victimized at a disproportionately higher rate than those snobby power mongers. This includes Gays, minorities, often disabled, including Vets.

3) Say we are tired of being pawns and easy prey. It's time to protect ourselves. The cops don't even come into many minority communities. Who ya gonna call?
Screw waiting for someone, take care of it yourself. "Get a gun because the life you may save may be your own".

4) Guns by themselves are not enough. You need training on safely handling the gun. Make sure you are not a potential accidental shooting statistic. Take some classes,
be prepared.

Ladies, gentlemen, What have I missed? My general point is that we should be trying to enlighten the power base of the rich and famous anti gunners. Use Bloomberg and Gates as poster children examples of how they tell the poor how to live but for themselves? They are protected by guns.
THIS^^ I concur

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I have a background in media communication, worked in marketing and I have been a business and political speechwriter. The problem with the OP is it's more intellectual arguments, which is all our side ever seems to come up with. #1 especially has been done to death and ignored. Intellectual arguments will not win this fight!

You cannot compete with dozens of people killed in a nightclub with logic. You need stuff like the stories in the NRA Armed Citizen, only with security camera footage, video reenactments and interviews with the defenders. You need visceral communication. You need viewers saying, "Darn, I need to get up out of my chair and buy a gun, NOW." Then let the opposition try to tell them logically they can't have one. You do not tell Americans they can't have something they want and get them to support you.

Our side has has a lot of passion, but we don't channel it well into our communications. We want to reason against the other side and they are not reasonable. They "wave the bloody shirts" and it gets more attention and mindshare. We need to wave our own bloody shirts.
I think we are our own worst enemies though.

Watch what happens even on here when someone defends themselves with a gun.

People immediately start second guessing everything from the legitimacy of the shoot to the caliber gun used.

And, don't even get me started on how nasty some gun owners can be towards OC.

We must unite in order to win the war against us.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The one thing your missing is the freedom of the media to refuse to carry it. The NFL refused to air the USCCA ad during the Super Bowl. I bet there are others but the media chooses what commercial to air just like they choose what news to report. Not saying we shouldn't try, but it doesn't mean it will see the light of day.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Just because I like this quote doesn't mean I won't vote for Trump -- assuming it is Trump against Hillary, I would vote for Trump 3,000 times before even considering the alternative.
But if Trump gets elected, we better think of how to hold his feet to the fire (I hope not but I fear this will be the case). Sorry about the off topic.
Not off topic and it is a struggle for me

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
The one thing your missing is the freedom of the media to refuse to carry it. The NFL refused to air the USCCA ad during the Super Bowl. I bet there are others but the media chooses what commercial to air just like they choose what news to report. Not saying we shouldn't try, but it doesn't mean it will see the light of day.
There are media channels available to everyone today that were not available even five years ago. You can start your own network on cable or the web if you want and some gun groups have. The problem is when we start gun media like that, we tend to talk to ourselves, meaning other gun owners.

We need to get creative and start media that appeals to the general public, but carries our message. Look at The Weather Channel. They produced "Coast Guard Alaska," which is a great show BTW, just to get people to tune into the weather, for heaven's sakes. It is also about the best recruiting vehicle for the CG ever, but both purposes are very subtle. It's mostly just a good show.

I would envision an outfit like the NRA or SAF getting a channel online where they produced high-quality docu-dramas that had braodbased appeal, but always had an undercurrent of citizens defending themselves with firearms. Throw in some things like the Colion Nior show. All of it has to be entertaining and the message has to be pervasive, but subtle.

The POTG have to break out of the cycle of just talking to themselves in the media. The opposition is way ahead of us in terms of of a media strategy that aims at the general public, the undecideds. 2A and good intentions will not save us. We live in a media-saturated society and we are very poor at fighting on that kind of battlefield.

This recent Orlando thing shows that so clearly. Congress is knee-jerk passing laws that would not have stopped the Orlando tradgedy or any of the other recent tradgedies and no one in the mainstream is questioning it, because not enought people in the general public are raising the BS flag.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts

Intelligent points don't win. Says more about the gun grabbers than the state of the world. But the state of the world is that being right isn't enough to win in a political environment. We have to exploit weakness including, from a crime control perspective, the futility of gun control that widens the gulf between not only the power elite with their body guards, but the private guards and government protective and police forces that have rights that we don't on one side and the law-abiding that the laws victimize on the other.
"We need to wave our own bloody shirts" with, "2A, if it saves just one life". Actually, Dr. Hupp does an excellent job
of using logic in testimony before an, albeit smug, US Senate panel, to argue against chaos and mayhem: your laws just work where people are willing to obey them and often against the law-biding and not in a situation in which our peaceful and orderly civilization temporarily bugs out as in Pulse or Luby's or the Rodney King riots - the last a result of our legal system. Citizens have to take responsibility for their own defense of life and for their government and not expect a set-and-forget government to protect them.
I think we need to educate about how terror can cut through our laws like a hot knife through butter and how fake and foolish and ineffectual it is to wring hands and screw up faces and demand that something more be done for a nation of sheep willing to accept and forget failures of our contemporary system of government but not the sensational but infinitesimal effect of the occasional lunatic on our national public safety.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts