Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been struggling with this for a while. I though that maybe you guys could help. Here is what I am thinking:

.45 (would consider other calibers)
MUST have Picatinny/Weaver light rail
Must be DA/SA
Must be able to find holster for it and light
Thinner is better
Longer barrel is good (around 4in maybe)
Short grip is OK.
Lightweight is good...

Any suggestions??? Holsters seem to be hard to find for any gun with a light attached.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure what gun to suggest but Blade-Tech makes Kydex holsters for about every gun with a rail and light mounted on the market. They make holsters for railed lights both IWB and OWB.

As far as a gun goes, Para makes a few Commander length 45\'s that they call LDA (light double action) but these are double action only and you mentioned DA/SA. Still they are worth looking at as they are the smoothest double action 1911\'s I have ever seen.

Just my .02
MadDog :rock:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
MadDog beat me to the punch. The ParaOrd LDA is getting rave reviews. I do not have one and have oly gotten to cress one but if it fires nearly as well as the Para\'s I own, you will be pleased with the purchase.

PARA-ORDINANCE, PXT Semi-Automatic Pistol

The 14.45 LDA model has the same features as the standard 1911 with the
exception of the tac rail mount that has been added as well as the
Power
Extractor Technology.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Type: Semi-Automatic Pistol
Caliber: 45ACP
Action: Double Action Only
Safety: Thumb Safety, Grip Safety & Internal Firing Pin Safety
Mag Capacity: 10+1
Barrel Length: 5\"
Sights: Novak Three-Dot Sights
Overall Length: 8.05\"
Height: 5.75\"
Weight: 40oz
Grips: Black Plastic Grips
Finish: Black Stealth, Stainless
Receiver: Steel, Stainless

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
CQC (blackHawk Indust.) is making a holster for the 1911 Govt, and Commander with lightrail.

I have been in talks with one of the VP\'s of marketing and we exchange e-mails pretty regularly.

Logistar if you are interested I can find out a time frame.

~A

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Logistar, Kimber is coming out with a TLEII/RL concoction coined the Warrior for the MEUSOC/MARSOC community as per GSA Contract. I tried to find a pic of it and came up short. I know I saw it in a mag but can\'t recall the mag right now.

It should hit the civie market sometime early next year. I think that might also be a good place to look. I do not nor have I ever owned a Kimber, but I am sure Bumper can give you any and all insights into Kimber as I am sure he has a few.

~A

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
pics of the Kimber

The current holster for MEU/MAR, there are concealed versions in the works.

~A

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MadDogDan and APachon....

EXCELLENT RESPONSES GUYS!

I\'ll check out Blade Tech!

I didn\'t think about a Para-Ordinace for some reason.

APachon, the Kimbers and I guess most all of the 1911s are SA. Call me a sissy but I still prefer DA/SA. When I did speed drills with \"replica\" guns I found that a DA pull does not affect my accuracy that much but once in a while I failed to disengage the safety under stress. :O

I\'ve got some thinkin'to do!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Given your criteria of a DA/SA .45 w/ rail and 4 inch barrel, I think either a SIG P220ST w/ rail or an HK USP .45 w/ rail adapter would fit the bill.

http://www.sidearmor.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=83&cat=29&page=1

http://www.sidearmor.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=84&cat=29&page=1

Both are hard to beat. The SIG P220 is a durable, supremely accurate jewel of a gun. The HK takes 12 .45 rounds in the mag and one in the pipe for 13 total, has VERY light recoil and like the 1911s, can be carried cocked and locked with the right variant. The USP also has ambi mag releases and the safety/decocker can be ambi or reversed.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Originally posted by APachon
Logistar, Kimber is coming out with a TLEII/RL concoction coined the Warrior for the MEUSOC/MARSOC community as per GSA Contract. I tried to find a pic of it and came up short. I know I saw it in a mag but can\'t recall the mag right now.

It should hit the civie market sometime early next year. I think that might also be a good place to look. I do not nor have I ever owned a Kimber, but I am sure Bumper can give you any and all insights into Kimber as I am sure he has a few.

~A
I have two Kimbers right now but I think I need at least one more. :p I love mine and have only had one minor extraction problem on my Eclipse which I caused myself. They are awesome handguns but since he is wanting DA/SA, they don\'t meet the criteria.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Bumper I do not know much about the Kimber line and I figured you would know more than I. Thanks for chiming in.

~A

Originally posted by Bumper

~A
I have two Kimbers right now but I think I need at least one more. :p I love mine and have only had one minor extraction problem on my Eclipse which I caused myself. They are awesome handguns but since he is wanting DA/SA, they don\'t meet the criteria.

·
Registered
75 Posts
MadDog beat me to the punch. The ParaOrd LDA is getting rave reviews. I do not have one and have oly gotten to cress one but if it fires nearly as well as the Para\'s I own, you will be pleased with the purchase.

PARA-ORDINANCE, PXT Semi-Automatic Pistol

The 14.45 LDA model has the same features as the standard 1911 with the exception of the tac rail mount that has been added as well as the Power Extractor Technology.
I had a airsoft like that about 2 years ago, the only reason I never bought a para was because I couldnt find a model with the integral light rail like that. Glad to see theyre finally coming around, its ptobably worth buying one now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Carry gun

XD 40 with light. Comes in 3\", 4\", and 5\" I have the 3\" sub works great. Great gun

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
nf9648, I just got the 2005 Catalog of Para offerings. The LDA will also be availabel with a rail. If you do go the Para route, you will be very pleased with the purchase. The PXT extractor is completely reliable, and rips brass out with authority...

~A

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can see this is going to take me a while! I have a lot to check out but then that\'s why I asked!

Many Thanks!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You said \"Picatinny/Weaver light rail\". If any rail style will do, look at the H&K UPS .45 full size or compact. Also look at the S&W SW99 .45. You just but a light to fit the rail.

If you need the standard rail, consider the new Ruger P345 .45.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Logistar, have you seen the Sig GSR???

Originally posted by logistar
I have been struggling with this for a while. I though that maybe you guys could help. Here is what I am thinking:

.45 (would consider other calibers)
MUST have Picatinny/Weaver light rail
Must be DA/SA
Must be able to find holster for it and light
Thinner is better
Longer barrel is good (around 4in maybe)
Short grip is OK.
Lightweight is good...

Any suggestions??? Holsters seem to be hard to find for any gun with a light attached.

·
Registered
75 Posts
nf9648, I just got the 2005 Catalog of Para offerings. The LDA will also be availabel with a rail. If you do go the Para route, you will be very pleased with the purchase. The PXT extractor is completely reliable, and rips brass out with authority...

~A
Thats good as long as it doesnt rip the brass...Im cheap and like to recycle.;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hope it\'s not to late but go look at a Glock 23 .40 S&W excellent carry weapon w/ light rail and many holster options. I carry one daily and refuse to go out w/o it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
:(You guys go ahead with you bullet magnets.....oops lights. I will wait here. Sorry, I would not have one if it were free.

IMO, flashlights are much overused, and can create almost as many problems as they solve. Do you want to point a firearm at everything you wish to light up?? Yes, they are needed, but must be used with care.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am still looking and with all the suggestions this might take a while but that\'s OK. I am fine at the moment.

I wasn\'t going to bring this up but why not....

Last summer I rented a cabin in the mountains. After a night downtown I returned to the cabin to retire for the night. The cabin was completely dark. There seemed to be no sign of anyone or any other vehicles around.

While I was assuming an innocent power failure it did seem kinda odd. I did have a flashlight (although not a great one) with me. - My \"good\" flashlight was in the car at home.. not in the rental I was driving. Also, my full-size Beretta was at home with a nice bright attached light.

If I\'d had the larger Beretta, I likely would have slipped the light off and used it by itself. It makes a nice compact and powerful light. I DO have a \"flashlight\" that I carry a lot but it is one more thing to have to worry about carrying. Since I carry MOST of the time with a shoulder rig... the attached light should not really be a problem.

Should I lose the bulb in my primary flashlight (or should it otherwise malfunction).. again I would have the gun-mounted light for backup.

IMHO - a weapon mounted light is mostly positive. You don\'t HAVE to turn it on while it is attached to the gun. I like options and I like being able to grab one \"item\" and know I have both a gun AND a light should I need one.

BTW - there HAD been a local power outage and power was returned 2 hours later. I found out the next day that 2 other cabins were affected.

Also had an incident last year where I ran into Cougar after dark on a trail. The light would have stayed ON the weapon if I\'d had one. I didn\'t like having to use the flashlight AND have a gun drawn AND try to slowly retreat.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts