Defensive Carry banner

Suggestions for selling on Craig's List or Facebook Marketplace and meeting to finish the transaction...??

1199 Views 19 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Sister
I've been thinking about scaling down and selling a number of items locally to avoid having to deal with shipping and shipping charges. Some of the items are large and/or heavy (i.e. musical instruments), which makes shipping prohibitive and unattractive for buyers on EBay and other online marketplaces.

Problem is, I'm leery/wary about dealing with unknown buyers because of the potential for scams or even robbery. I'd prefer to not set myself up for a situation that could turn into something where someone could get hurt.

Facebook Marketplace might be better in this regard because people usually have their real names and info on the site, but I don't know.

I suppose meetings could be set up at the local police station. I've seen people suggest this, but has anyone ever done it? Are LEOs irritated by this? I've never done it myself, so I don't know.

Any ideas or suggestions? Other places to meet? Other forums or websites to use (e.g. OfferUp, etc.)? Thanks.
Reactions: 5lima30ret
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
I suppose meetings could be set up at the local police station. I've seen people suggest this, but has anyone ever done it? Are LEOs irritated by this? I've never done it myself, so I don't know.
My local police station which is in a mid size city set up a dedicated area for transactions, marked off to indicate that, with cameras present. You might check with yours and see if they have something similar.

· Registered
1,523 Posts
I sold a bunch of stuff that was big and heavy enough that the buyer had to bring a truck to haul it this past summer. There's not really any option other than to have the buyer come to my house in those cases. I sold it all through FB marketplace and it went much better than I anticipated. Every buyer showed up when they said they would and had cash in hand, so no potential for scams.

Maybe I'm complacent living in a relatively low crime area but I don't get the paranoia about having a potential buyer come to your house. If they are criminals they can just as easily come to rob you whether you have an item advertised for sale or not.

· Registered
8,302 Posts
Do a search for consignment shops in your area,

Reactions: Sister

· Registered
372 Posts
I have never dealt with any sketchy people from FB Marketplace, I have done ok on FB marketplace, mostly nice people,

I would never do ANYTHING on craigslist.

I mostly do Ebay. you can do "local pickup only " on Ebay

I always have my CC gun and pepper spray when dealing with strangers anyway.

· Registered
Glocks mostly, but I'm not a purist in any endeavor.
165 Posts
Police are 100% OK with doing lawful transactions in the parking lots of districts or HQ. Many will actually advertise this fact. I'd rather you do this than me have to take a robbery report later. (We're all lazy like that.) Carry your gun and bring a friend anyway, because multiple safety layers are a good thing.

· Registered
311 Posts
Craigslist - nope. Not only a great way to volunteer to be a robbery victim, but there’s a few other social engineering scams crooks are doing through craigslist.

I’ve had good luck with both Facebook Marketplace and Nextdoor. No guarantees, but like mentioned in the OP, you usually have a name you can vet.

Call your local police and see if you can meet in a precinct parking lot. In my area it’s not a problem.

· Registered
8,043 Posts
The Police Department in our city has a designated area in the parking lot for such transactions.

· Registered
310 Posts
I've bought and sold on armslist and craigslist. Always met the other person in a police department parking lot. The one or two that were hesitant to meet there I canceled the buy/sale.

My department had an area designated in the parking lot by the main entrance for transactions that had recorded camera coverage and publicized it.

· Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
1,074 Posts
My local police encourages people to use their parking lot or near the their entrance door to make a sale delivery and money exchange. Both locations are covered by video cameras. We also let people come to our house to pickup items and pay. I think it depends on the feeling you get for the person through talking/texting with them in the process of selling the item, etc. I guess also it might depend on what I am selling whether I use the police parking lot or my house.

Reactions: duane_wade

· Registered
179 Posts
Police dept near me has a dedicated meet/Exchange spot.Also be very careful of scams involving Zelle and other apps.We deal in cash only and do more buying than selling (large toys for grandkids mainly) and have not had a problem.My DIL just a couple weeks ago almost fell for one of the Zelle scams.Luckily she realized what was going on and stopped the deal in time.Most of our deals involved at home pickup and we try to check out the area involved before making the deal and I am always carrying when picking up.

· Registered
294 Posts
Bought and sold hundreds and hundreds of things, cars, lawn tractors, machinery, guitars and amps by the truckload, and just a million other things on CL and FBM... Some things are sold here, and often I have the buyer come into the house to sign titles etc {when selling a car]... Typically that is after money is exchanged... I always have a small gun in my pocket, my wife carries as well, and this is semi rural upstate NY and there is no major crime problem to speak of... Smaller items I usually meet at a local gas station thats very busy, one of those big bustling places where you can get gas, beer, coffee, breakfast, pizza etc, and always during daylight, and again always carry. Never an issue at all... I will say that as time goes on, and we get older and less physically capable, I have sold more things away from the house, or at least kept the transactions outside the house on the front steps or driveway... I really don't feel anyone is going to try and kill me to steal a $75 item, but stranger things have happened, so I have become a bit more cautious, always have a gun in pocket, and very carefully watch body language, movements, and stay alert... When buying things I have noticed past few years that more and more people are wanting to meet in public places, McDonalds, large gas stations etc, and a few years ago someone looked at a guitar I was selling, and wanted to meet at the county police barracks.. No problem at all, i went where I was asked to.. People are getting more cautious as time moves on thats for certain, and with the world as it is, its certainly understandable... bob

· Registered
458 Posts
Over the years I've made many transactions on CL, FBM and Armslist. I've canceled a few because I felt the other person was being misleading or ask questions that didn't seem appropriate. I've made some gun friends too. I keep in contact with a few people I've done business with on FBM.

My only take on this is use caution with everyone and always meet in a safe place such as local PDs or places where there is visible video surveillance. Always be armed and vigilant and unless you agree that person should bring help to load something if someone else shows up with the buyer/seller drive off immediately.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

· Registered
72 Posts
Have the meet at a police station if possible and always have an armed companion accompany you.

Dave Y-

· Premium Member
411 Posts
My local FFL Charges $18 to do a transfer. When I sell a gun locally I ask the buyer to meet me at the Gun Shop where I will pay all of the transfer fee. If they refuse no deal.
Since G Broker just raised their final value fee again, local sales will be more common for me, and I will soon commence some "Pre Estate" Selling off

· Registered
113 Posts
I consign my gun sales to an auction house near me. Yes they charge 20% commission, but generally get decent sale price. It is easy and they are FFL and run successful bidder/ buyer through the system. I figure if person misuses gun not on me as I did not interact with buyer. In fact I don't know buyer and buyer does not know me. This latter means no person going back to me and saying gun not as advertised and I should pay him to fix, etc.

· Registered
21,919 Posts
“Offer It Up” Is on-line and you buy and sell locally. I agree with the consignment shops idea too. Could you put a sign in the section you are selling at the consignment shop (if you did this) saying guns for sale please call? Just wondering if that would work, sell everything else there and do the guns separate?

The bonus of a consignment shop is you are not using all your time to correspond and sell someone else is there doing it for you AND you are safe.

Your local gun dealer prolly has consignment there too - you could go both ways with selling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts