Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions on a semi auto 22 pistol. What are the opinions on the Browning Buckmark, S&W Victory, & Ruger 22/45 in no particular order? Lets hear some ideas and experiences!

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
What do you want to do with it ? Target , Hunting , silencer host or training ?

My go to 22lr would be

1. S&W m&p 22lr ..Holds 12 rounds easy tool less take down easy to put a can on and feeds most anything
2./ PPK/S 22lr ..Slim and compact again shoots great and easy to take care of and also easy to silcer
3. The New ruger 22lr the mk 4 as it has easy take down and looks good ..Only down side is? on threaded barrels
4. I will add the s&w 52(?) the one with the lower barrled as a good silencer gun

Of the ones you listed I like the Victory as the take down is pretty easy and you can get a can ready pretty good ..Or the buck mark due to the options for it ..The 22/45 is decent

I wont buy a 22lr pistol that needs tools or three hands to take apart as I normal like to use a silncer which dirties them up good and I dont want to spend 5 hours cleaning the thing

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Used Ruger MK III's are selling like hot cakes due to the IV's coming out. And you learn something putting a good trigger in it and getting rid of the mag disconnect.
But any of those three you listed are great plinkers.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just shooting is all it would be used for. Not really interested in shooting suppressed as I'm building a 300 BO for that role.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I'm currently a Buckmark (Match Target) fan. Been thru; High Standard Victor 10X, Pardini, Hammerli & most every Ruger Mk that exists. Tried some of the .22 variants of full size fight guns, they weren't accurate to suit me. .22 pistols need to be accurate...to be fun. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I have owned several Ruger Mark III 22/45's and still own one of them; the Hunter version. I replaced the trigger bushing to give a better trigger and to make field stripping easier. I also have a Browning Buckmark 5 1/2" slab barrel, which is quite accurate and has better balance that does my Ruger. But perhaps the one that is the most fun, if you enjoy plinking, is the M&P 22. Mine's a plain earlier version with the 12-round magazine. A lot of fun to shoot and very simple to strip down for cleaning.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I have a MkIII 22/45 and a friend has a Buckmark. He's shot mine quite a bit and I've shot his. We both like our pistols but if we traded I think each of us would still be just as pleased.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Have Ruger 22/45 with threaded barrel. I only use it when quiet is called for. It is reliable, plenty accurate, a pain to reassemble, don't like the button safety, and subjectively not my favorite.

Have Browning Buckmark, 5 1/2" slab barrel. Reliable, very accurate, trigger return spring is too light, spring removal is a little ticky but not too bad. I bent the guide rod before learning to use a hook at the front end to ease it (the replacement) out. Has a better feel and balance-to me- than the Ruger.

Have S&W 422 and 622 - my favorite plinkers. Plenty accurate, reliable, very light weight, great trainer, easy to dis/re/assemble. They are discontinued but available used. Here is one example:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/612677823 If extra magazines are needed they are the same as S&W 41 mags.

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
Looking for suggestions on a semi auto 22 pistol. What are the opinions on the Browning Buckmark, S&W Victory, & Ruger 22/45 in no particular order? Lets hear some ideas and experiences!
All good choices, and all single-action - definitely my preference for rimfire automatics. My club runs a rimfire pistol steel match every month and the Ruger and Browning single actions are the most popular and the most reliable guns there. The Victory is still pretty new, so I've only seen a couple so far. Hopefully AZQks will drop by with some comments on the S&W Victory. He got one last summer and we've shot a couple of matches together. So far his runs like a sewing machine and it's plenty accurate.

I've got two Ruger Mk IIs, one a 22/45, both with bull barrels. The 22/45 has a drop-in Volquartsen trigger and some modest other tweaks, and it's a real fun gun for me for fast plinking or steel plates. Yes, re-assembling the Rugers is a little tricky, but realistically it doesn't need to come apart often enough for that to be a bother. As for the Ruger Mk IIIs, the magazine safety and loaded cartridge indicator are unfortunate geegaws tacked onto an otherwise good gun. I wouldn't refuse if someone gave me one, but I'd rather find a decent used Mk II or save my shekels for a new Mk IV.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
... I wouldn't refuse if someone gave me one, but I'd rather find a decent used Mk II or save my shekels for a new Mk IV.
I haven't fired or even dry fired a Mk IV. Is the trigger better than dropping a Volquartsen kit into a III and getting rid of the "geegaws"? The price seems outrageous on the IV's compared to the S&W and Buckmark.

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
I haven't fired or even dry fired a Mk IV. Is the trigger better than dropping a Volquartsen kit into a III and getting rid of the "geegaws"? The price seems outrageous on the IV's compared to the S&W and Buckmark.
Honestly, I can't say as I haven't played with one yet. IIRC, Ruger played the same price game with the Mk III when it came out, pricing it well above the Mk II which it replaced. From what I've read about the Mk IVs on RimfireCentral, I wouldn't rush into getting one until they've gotten the wrinkles out. Right now there are a lot of reports of looseness between the "upper" and the frame.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Not on your list but I have a S&W 22a that I am really fond of which I use for steel target shooting. Mines very accurate.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have shot the three pistols you mention and and for my money they are all good choices. Can't go wrong with either one. If I can find room in my safe I may get a S&W Victory.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Honestly, I can't say as I haven't played with one yet. IIRC, Ruger played the same price game with the Mk III when it came out, pricing it well above the Mk II which it replaced. From what I've read about the Mk IVs on RimfireCentral, I wouldn't rush into getting one until they've gotten the wrinkles out. Right now there are a lot of reports of looseness between the "upper" and the frame.
Ouch. Certainly don't need any looseness there.

Personally, I never had a problem taking them apart and putting them back together. I'm not sure the IV is all it's cracked up to be if that's all it offers.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
I love shooting my Buckmark,got like 2000+ rounds though it and never clean it
just run and run and run.. Great trigger,super accurate nice looking and FO Sights
cant beat em

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't know your budget OP, but a couple others you might want to consider are S&W 41, or Kimber Rimfire if you can swing it.

View attachment 169081

View attachment 169089
Impressive suggestions there, HotBrass45! Thanks for all the replies thus far.

I like the looks of the M&P22. Anyone have any experience with the Walther P22 or the Beretta Neos? The Beretta will make a KelTec or HiPoint look pretty though:smile:. I wonder how it shoots?

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
They had used 22/45's in the gun shop today starting at $240 and going up to 299.
It's a buyer's market if you don't need the simplified takedown.

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
One of our friends in our shooting group has a Kimber .22 and offered to let me keep and use it while he was in Florida for a couple months. He said it is a real honey.......AFTER he put a couple thousand rounds through it and replaced 3 or 4 things on it. And it has to run almost dripping wet with oil. I thanked him politely and said I'll stick with what I have.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the S&W M&P 22 Compact (not the Umarex made full sized S&W). I have one that is well past the 2000 rd mark. It has pretty decent sights and will shoot most any ammo including stuff that my 10-22 would choke on. It is a good trainer for a Shield and is very similar in size and controls. It is a snap to field strip and clean. The mags are very easy to load and are not thumb busters. Good luck!

Reactions: Kilowatt3
1 - 20 of 40 Posts