Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm going to be shopping 'very soon' for a small 22 pistol. I know those aren't particularly popular around here, but I'm hoping some of you have had some experience with these to at least offer input on the choices.. I am going with this size because I want something that I can use for: 1) plinking 2) tiny critter hunting and 3) ultra-tiny concealing for when I just can't do anything bigger and possibly the most common 4) BUG.

So I've been looking at the following:

Beretta Bobcat
Taurus 22
Walther P22

So you can see my price range with that, as well.

I'm curious of any particularly good/bad experiences with these, or suggestions of a different brand in the same general size/price. My personal brand experience thus far is limited to Glock and S&W, so I have no idea. If all other things are equal, I'm ultimately going to go with the one that feels best. (Of which I am leaning towards the Taurus)

I suppose I should note that I've tried out a few of this size in various calibres and find them to fit my hands pretty well and don't have any problem with their tiny-ness. I have small hands and strong arms. ;)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Because of size, the Beretta or Taurus will make a better choice for your BUG, pocket carry (though not a great caliber choice). For a target/plinking gun, the Walter will be a better pistol. I know some have had trouble with the Walters, but mine has been pretty much flawless as long as you don't limp-wrist it. With CCI Stingers or Mini-Mags, it has been flawless regardless of who is shooting it. While it is extremely light, it may be a little big for pocket carry.

Hoss

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
In a .22LR I would ONLY use a revolver for defensive purposes. The only "duds" I have ever personally experienced were with .22 ammo. Sure, a dud can happen with centerfire ammo, but it is much more likely with a rimfire cartridge.

Actually, a .22LR/.22 Magnum revolver would make a decent choice as a BUG, when loaded with .22 Mag FMJ. You get a decent punch and more ammo capacity than with a .38. Just a thought.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have a Bobcat and I like it, may even be willing to sell it. I have no issues with it just shot it again last week and it did fine. Honestly it is thicker than my Keltec 32 which means it is thicker than a 380 LCP type gun. That thickness is all in the grip which makes very easy to shoot, loud however for a little gun. It is definitely a cheap shooter since it is 22lr. I think the main difference in the bobcat and the taurus is the DA/SA (Bobcat) versus DAO (Taurus, I have read it is a long trigger, but get opinions of those who have them). The Bobcat has a small thumb safety and you can cock the hammer, I had never tried before but it seems you could carry it cocked and locked or load the flip up barrel and DA first shot safety off. It can empty the mag in a hurry and no recoil with the larger grip, groups are good, at close range. The Walther is a tad bigger if I am not mistaken and would seem to be a better critter gun but maybe not BUG.

Sounds to me like you are after two guns to me... a Ruger Target pistol bull barrel and a BUG (380 / 32). Personally I plan to buy a Bull barrel ruger with 4" barrel for future CC if I ever get to the age or physical condition where I can not carry a larger pistol, they are accurate and better than nothing with no recoil.

If you are interested in the Bobcat let me know, this was the first time I shot it in about 2 years, I may let it go to a good home...

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That Ruger is way too long for a BUG :) But it sure looks nice, and sometime in the future I may get a 22 for the specific purpose of plinking and not SD at all.

The Taurus 22 revolver looks intriguing.. I had not really considered revolvers, mostly 'cause I've never shot one. A bit of research tells me they're generally a bit more expensive, too. Though perhaps, if found used...

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Well, I think you either want a BUG or a critter shooter! :wink:

Best compromise would be a 2" J Frame S&W in .22LR to me.

Maybe a S&W 317?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have the Taurus 94 SS with the 4" barrel. The trigger is horrible and there really isn't much you can do about it. I installed a lighter trigger return spring and smoothed the surfaces, but no joy. I tried a lighter hammer spring, but then it wasn't firing reliably. I'd stay away from it.

·
Administrator
143,955 Posts
I Like Beretta .22s.
The best little pocket rimfire that I ever owned was a Beretta 70S in .22 LR.
OK...granted that it was not super tiny but, it was quite lightweight.
I ordered the rare factory FLAT grips (minus the yukky thumb rest) for it back then and I cut the "pinky rests" off the mag butts..
It just ate everything and was incredibly accurate.

Try & find one in .22 LR these days though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aww, I'm disappointed to hear bad luck with the Taurus. Honestly I was kind of bracing to not hear anything good about it but was hoping otherwise. I went to the store a day or two ago and checked out the main choices in person. The clerk was extremely helpful and seemed to know his stuff. After watching me fiddle with the various guns and how I was holding them, etc., he suggested I try the LCP even though it wasn't at all what I was coming in for. I do have to say it felt a lot better to my hands than the other choices (just a better fit for my hands), but it's not the calibre I was looking for. So I've been kind of kicking that one around.

That Beretta sure is pretty. :)

I suppose with me being so indecisive it is both a very good thing and a very bad thing that I don't get paid for another week or so, haha.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree with the revolver choice. If you can find one on line, you can find a decent 2 1/2" barreled H&R 922 at a reasonable price. If you replace all of the springs (available from Wolff gunsprings) to ensure reliablity. The H&R revolvers that my wife and I own are quite reliable. If you are planning on using this handgun for CCW, replace the springs.

Scott

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had a .22 Taurus pocket semi-auto. No problems with it. Small and reliable, but still a .22.

One night a Rottweiler attacked my small terrier while I was carrying the Taurus. Terrier was on a leash, Rottie was not. When I tried to separate them, the Rottie decided to go after me. Fatal mistake. Three shots later, the Rottie expired. Owner decided he was going to kill me. Pretty stupid. Pointing the Taurus at his eyeball sobered him up. End of confrontation.

·
Super Moderator
24,231 Posts
The wife and I each own one, and as a "fun" gun and a "plinking" gun, they are good. Some nice features include:

Tip-up barrel;
SA/DA;
Easy to be found;
Easy to clean; and
Relatively inexpensive

Drawbacks include:

Potentially picky on ammo initially;
Need to be kept clean; and
Not sufficient as a SD weapon

No experience with the others. Here's mine:

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I'd buy the Walther out of the choices given, but I have serious reservations about doing so.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd buy the Walther out of the choices given, but I have serious reservations about doing so.
May I ask why? I'm going to assume part of it is due to the calibre, but I understand that 22 is not a very popular calibre on this forum. Is there anything else about it that you have serious reservations on?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the Walther and when it is running it work great, but it is ammo picky, mine likes CCI mini-mag or Federal. It's a little odd for take down and cleaning, but I haven't had any issues with it. I heard lots of people have issues with theirs though, so maybe I just got lucky with mine. The only big issue I've had with mine is the safety walking to the on position when I'm shooting. :blink:

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
May I ask why? I'm going to assume part of it is due to the calibre, but I understand that 22 is not a very popular calibre on this forum. Is there anything else about it that you have serious reservations on?
Setting caliber and self defense issues aside, all the pistols you have mentioned don't exactly enjoy the best reputation for reliability. The Walter is a little larger, giving a little more meat to work with in a malfunction drill. It is also the only one set up like a real combat pistol.... but its design intention is that of a plinker. With that said, I still think its the better choice of the given options for a self defense pistol.
If I really wanted to buy a 22 defensive pistol, I'd buy a revolver.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
IMO the 22 can't be relied upon for serious work, because the rim fire doesn't rim fire, on occasion. Of course, it's way better than nothing, but the 22 really excels at plinking and taking small game. In these pursuits, accuracy and velocity indicate a longer barrel and sight radius. I like the 5 1/2" bull and adjustable sights of a stainless Ruger target model. SD at close range with a powerful, concealable weapon is another subject. To ask one gun to do both tasks on a limited budget, I would probably look at the little Beretta tip up. My current solution is a 22 conversion for my defensive center fire.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts