Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of adding a bolt rifle. Maybe 223 or 243 for 100 - 200 yard range. Thoughts and suggestions?

Would like a 308 but my shoulder won't take that much recoil anymore.

·
Registered
44,728 Posts
Price range, intended purpose? Many good ones on the market these days--if you can find them.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Ruger American in .243 is a tough act to follow!

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Again what do you want to do with it ?

For me right now I would do .223 for fun ... Any of the AR mag feed ones like the MVP or American or the Percsion for higher end

Now again me I dont hunt and esp would not with 223 or the like ..So it would be a silencer host or fun toy more then anything so I would go cheeper with AR mags ..

Reactions: j102 and 5lima30ret

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again what do you want to do with it ?

For me right now I would do .223 for fun ... Any of the AR mag feed ones like the MVP or American or the Percsion for higher end

Now again me I dont hunt and esp would not with 223 or the like ..So it would be a silencer host or fun toy more then anything so I would go cheeper with AR mags ..
Punching paper. Don't plan on hunting anymore.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I recently got a Mossberg MVP LR in .308 Win/7.62 x 51. The weight (~10 lbs scoped) and a muzzle device soften the recoil a little. I've only put about 40 rounds through it, but it's pretty OK. Trigger is light, and getting smoother. I'm just shooting paper and plan to use it for deer. They're tough to find these days, but street price is about $800. Also available in 6.5 mm Creedmoor. I do really dig the AR-style mag's it can use. Also works with M1A1 mag's.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Punching paper. Don't plan on hunting anymore.
Punching paper less than 200 yards? I'd go .223. It's cheap, easy to find anywhere, can be purchased or loaded for extreme accuracy, with bolt action its likely barrel will last a lifetime without the groups opening up, low recoil.
Punching paper 200+? Probably 6.5 Creedmoor, because every other commonly available round would feel like a compromise.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Just before covid I gave my coyote rifle to a grandkid. And I thought it would be as easy as a trip to the LGS to pick up another! Well, A Summer of Love, Covid, and an election that did not go our way and any gun was hard to get! I finally settled on a used Savage Axis in 223. It was way under your $1000 mark and using factory 55 gn Rem FMJ ammo it would repeatedly put 5 shots in 3/4 inches!
I am more than happy with it! As a hunting gun it has everything I need. I will be putting it in a wood stock . But mostly because I just like the wood. The other I would look seriously at is the CZ line! DR

·
Super Moderator
20,167 Posts
The lightweight CZ carbines are really fun. I got to run one in 7.62x39 and another in 5.56/.223 with a 4x fixed optic.
View attachment 363423
I love the "handiness" of the CZ carbine. Just curious - did the magazine extending below the bottom of the stock compromise the way you gripped the gun?

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
I love the "handiness" of the CZ carbine. Just curious - did the magazine extending below the bottom of the stock compromise the way you gripped the gun?
I mostly shoot tactical stuff, so used to a mag in that location. Not that I can recall, super compact and light. It would be a great walking the hills gun.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
if this is just fun shooting and not competition, then the field is wide open and pick what you like...

personal preference.....probably the Savage 110.....they are middle of the road in pricing...but still a step up in my opinion over the budget guns........

spend the xtra on a good scope, bases, and rings.......

want a bit heavier barrel without going bull.....the savage 110 hog hunter in 223...more of a medium barrel..and its threaded for a brake or noise reduction should you ever want to go there

·
Registered
44,728 Posts
Definitely the .223. If you can find one chambered in .223 Wylde, all the better. 1/12 twist is good for up to about 55 grain bullets, 1/8 or 1/7 if going with heavier.

Reactions: j102 and ctr

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Thinking of adding a bolt rifle. Maybe 223 or 243 for 100 - 200 yard range. Thoughts and suggestions?

Would like a 308 but my shoulder won't take that much recoil anymore.
I have a BA 308 and was gonna suggest it because I’m a recoil junkie, but you are correct it will knock the heck out of you and it could dislocate a shoulder no lie. I do have a shoulder pad I use when I use to shoot it but it’s been years. Got hooked on those AR pistols, I love those! Have you thought about 300 blackout? I’m a dinky woman and can shoot the thing and it’s fun. Our dog is almost bigger than I am lol.

Reactions: j102 and demanic

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Be a rebel, go with 22-250! Honestly though, the .223 would probably be easier to reliably get ammunition for it.

CZ makes good guns. I have one in .22 LR and I use 10 round magazines with it. The positioning of it makes gripping the stock a non-issue. CZ has done a good job of placing the magazine in such a way to keep it from interfering with your grip.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The only bolt action rifle that I own is a sporterized Arisaka Type 99... It has a very strong action and if you reload your own ammunition, it's pretty cheap to shoot... Brass can be made from 30.06 brass...

EDITED:
Oops, my mistake... It turns out there is also an old bolt action .22LR in the back of my gun safe... It was only bought to use as a test bed for shooting 55gr cast lead bullets with .22 power shot loads... Just someone's old truck gun, but it cleaned up well enough after I removed the axle grease and everything off of it...

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
If you're just punching paper then get a .22 LR. The price of ammo has gone way up so I don't see spending $0.50 plus per shot to make holes in paper with a center fire.

If you want more of a challenge at typical .22 distances, just make the target smaller. At 50 yards my typical target for my Ruger M77/22 bolt rifle is a 1 inch square. It doesn't miss very often. It wears a 3-9 Simmons Aetec scope and a Harris bipod.

Or, you can still shoot at 200 yards and consider adjusting for the bullet drop to be part of the fun.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts