Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard most of you say that you dont change your gun per the weather but i think i might want to. The XD is kinda big for my summer clothes and i KNOW i would get printed and wouldnt find it very comfy wearing it while playing basketball or in the park chasing the kid around. Would it be better to just bring it with me in a fannypack and leave it near where im going to be "playing"? Or mabie find a smaller one than i can carry better in summer clothes? I was thinking getting of getting a keltec or mabie a taurus pocket peice for thouse occasions?

DOes anyone actually switch to a smaller gun for thouse occasions and if so what do you carry and in which holster method?

Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Gelicious: I am thinking about a S&W 442 in a DeSantis Nemesis holster for pocket carry, along with a Kahr MK9 IWB.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I switch from a Glock 23 to a Glock 26 in the summer. Sometimes I use a S&W 642 in the summer.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Funny thing...with a UC Comfort shirt I dont have to switch from my Sig 299. Its as easy to conceal under a polo/t-shirt as it is under a dress shirt. But that said I do occasionally switch to my 340PD in the summer, but only occasionally.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I sometimes switch to my P3AT in a pocket holster when I'ts really hot outside (90+), but often I'll carry my 1911 or P-01 in an IWB with untucked t-shirt and open button short-sleeve shirt concealing the gun. When the new Kel-tec 9mm comes out, I might look into that for replacing the P3AT.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I carry a S&W 642.year round. My always holster is a smartcarry because of it’s versatility. I have worn it in many situations outdoors and have even fallen with it on and my gun has never dislodged. The nice thing about a smartcarry is that you can wear it under the most minimal clothes (swim shorts) and nobody has a clue your carrying. I see you have a 686. I used to carry a Sp101 3” in my smartcarry without any trouble. I’ve also used a fanny pack (belly bag) but only when I’m out in the woods cutting firewood and it’s under my bibs. I don’t like the look of a belly bag so I wouldn’t wear it any other time.

However my main message to you Gelicious is to never leave your gun unattended. Most times when I see someone with a belly bag on in a non-sporting situation I think CC. However a belly bag in a sporting situation would probably not give anyone any second thoughts.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Would it be better to just bring it with me in a fannypack and leave it near where im going to be "playing"?
I'd say a big NO to that idea - it must be IMO on your person (and so totally in your control) at all times.

I am lucky that I can still CC the 226 even in peak summer - just by using my Smith &Alexander vest - but if push came to shove then R9 will go in pocket. By that token a P3AT would do same.

I also would resort to SmartCarry if I had to - not that I like it greatly but it sure does allow for deep concealment if needed. Carry the biggest and best you can for conditions and if running around is on the menu - pay attention to your retention options.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I was going to comment on the “leaving it near where I am going to be playing”, but than I thought that he might have meant locked in a car. But V-fib and P95Carry were right to bring it up, because it should be clarified.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I carry a Kahr P9 year round. It's perfect for CC, small and light weight. I sometimes switch to a fanny pack or a belly band in summer, but the gun is always under my control. I also have a Kel Tec P11 which I sometimes carry.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree. Never leave the pistol unattended. You don't want t a kid at the park getting into it. Also, it is a very good target for thieves.

·
Super Moderator
23,565 Posts
I havn't CC'd in summer yet, but hope to CC my Skyy CPX-1 when "Range Testing" done. It fits in my pants with a pocket holster; either cargo shorts :danceban: , casual slacks :rolleyes: , dress slacks :9: , or even business suit pockets :mad: .

Otherwise, I have a G17 with an OWB - harder to CC.

I always have my CC on my person.:image035:

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Well, I live in Miami FL so it's summertime year round. OTOH real summer is a BEEATCH in this town, so I'll probably shift from the full sized USP around town to my Sig P245 or my Glock M27 in a Blade-Tech IWB or a Belly Bag. A 2XL Hawaiiain shirt goes nicely over the IWB and it disappears even on my 250 pound frame. I really am trying to lose the weight this summer. 40 pounds is the goal. I've done it before....

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Exsoldier762. good luck on the weight loss. I have been at it since Jan. 1, it is coming off, but never as fast as you would like it too. I think it will definitely help my CC for the summer time. ANd I want to be able to watch my kids grow up. Somebody has to teach them to shoot.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Hi Guys!

I typically wear either a 5" 1911 or a Glock 21 (with a grip reduction) OWB in a Def-Con during winter. Summertime, it's either a Glock 17 (with a grip reduction) or 5" 1911 IWB in a Max-Con V or VI. With a loose fitting tee shirt, concealment is a breeze.
For you tropical folks, I lived in FL for 14 years. The summertime set up that I listed above worked really well - even in 100 degree temps when worn with cargo shorts and a loose tee. I hope this helps - but please remember that everyone is different. You've got to find out what works for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don't have my chl yet so I can't comment on the different carry options. But I can tell you about my experience with Kel-Tec. My uncle that I frequently go shooting with bought a Kel-Tec P3AT. he sent it back to the factory because a pin kept on coming out. I shot it after it was supposedly fixed and the pin still kept on working loose.

For a very small gun I'd consider neither a Kahr PM9 in 9mm or a S&W 637 in .38+P. The 637 is 15oz unloaded and would undoubtedly be more reliable that the little Kel-Tec. Others have had good experience with Kel-Tec but based on my experience I will never buy anything from KT.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
For summer, a Combat Commander in Versa-Max II. Of, course it's summer July 17 & 18 in northern MN. The rest of the year it's been a paddle for the 4" 1911. I've tried a Fobus Roto Paddle with reverse cant at 10:30 on the weak side for carry in the car or sitting. Maybe Gary can come up with a clip-on affair that looks like Mitch Rosen's anti car-jacking rig that I can keep in the glove box. I just feel more comfort from the .45, so I'll find a way to carry it. It's low pressure round doesn't blast as much as the 40 or the 9 IMHO. My eyes are open to Kel Tec's 9mm, because I can't afford the R-9 that P-95 has (wipe off drool)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the suggestions guys, and when i said have it near you while playing I did mean Safley locked up But that I KNOW would not make alot of scence because it wouldnt be ready to go. So ill probubly get a smartcarry or get a pocket holster and pocket pistol like a pt-22 or s&W 642 mabie even a keltek. I got some time to think about it, but ill try and carry the XD as much as possible. I even have a few Hawaiian shirts i could always use, they are light and "airy" in the summer and would cover the XD well.

Thanks for all the info guys!
Gregg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Gelicious,

Had a pt-22 for a couple of weeks before it literally fell apart in my hands while shooting it. No kidding. Sent it back to Taurus and when it returned I promptly traded it for the Sp101 mentioned earlier. Some swear by them, many swear at them. However I do have the Taurus 94 snubby .22lr revolver with CT grips, 9shots never had a speck of trouble with it. Just was out shooting it this afternoon. I have the regular version but have always thought that the Ultralight version with adjustable sights removed and bobbed hammer would make an excellent bug esp. if you loaded it with the stingers or 60grain Aguila

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
My summer carry weapons are my off-duty Kahr P9 Covert and PM9.

I do carry a larger gun during the FL's very short cooler season....this season, I've carried my Kahr P45, Walther P99 9mm, sig pro SP2340, and Steyr S40.

....on-duty, it's Uncle Sam's P229 or nothing.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Gelicious said:
I even have a few Hawaiian shirts i could always use, they are light and "airy" in the summer and would cover the XD well.
Occasionally on duty, I will wear a Hawaiian type shirt for cover, as I prefer to wear ITP for work but its rarely practicle in my job. But I will give you one BIG piece of advice for using that type of shirt.

Stick with cotton. The silky ones tend to stick to the gun/mags and print real bad. The cotton blends with the body and are firmer and dont print as bad.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts