Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today friends it was a Carolinal 86 degree day and it was fairly warm and this was on the way from work for me. Well, I got home and strapped on the .38 since I was car washing and paying bills. Man, it was warm, however, I was comfortable. Well, I have started carrying the 1911 more due to rise in crime and it provides more capacity and punch than the .38 snub.

But, I tell ya, when the heat got to really going I thought how hot the 1911 would make me feel. Well, I still want to carry it 24/7 as my primary, but the heat of spring and summer may change my mind. Who goes full size all the time, and how did you get use to packing it in the heat?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Blue - my 226 stays even with heat. I can tho always cover that with my Smith & Alexander vest, which does not add too much because so thin.

I have reached a point where pretty much come what may, I refuse to downsize unless really no other option.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Even with shorts I can carry my 4" barrelled SA. It's all in how ya dress.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys... I know alot people are confident in their .38 and I love my little airweight, but things are getting worse and criminals more bold.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Bud in shorts! :wink:

Hey Bud - howsabout a pic - and you can wear sandals too :18: I won't mind.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Shorts and an untucked tee-shirt are enough to cover my SP101. It doesn't hold nearly the rounds of a pistol, but I shoot it best and .357 is a sufficent cartridge power-wise.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd run with a pair of dockers shorts, sandals, a light polo styled shirt untucked, my VM-2 supported by a gun belt and 1911 Commander secured and in condition 1. If not that, then carry the handgun in a bag. i do that quite often. the canyon bag by coronado leather is a great way to carry a handgun off your person. nobody gives it a second look.

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
P95Carry said:
Bud in shorts! :wink:

Hey Bud - howsabout a pic - and you can wear sandals too :18: I won't mind.
And socks? :rofl:

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't know about a bag. Theres to big of a chance of it getting stolen or forgotten somewhere.
My ccw should be here before the end of the month and i plan on either a glock 29 or a 640 snubbie in a forward cant hidden by a billowy hawaiin shirt.(yeah right this is seattle, so hidden by a billowy rain jacket)

·
Registered
577 Posts
whats wrong with sandals with socks???
Oh yeah you look like a wank. Add some high water sweats and some aviators and your looking smooth.

·
Registered
182 Posts
BlueLion, Don't know how old you are but some of the responses tell me they are much younger than I. My running days were over a long time ago. Carry SA Custom Loaded A1 black stainless in Sparks VM2. Cover w/ a polo shirt or short sleve cotton untucked. Deep East Texas Heat. Also was 86 here today too. If mowing, welding, dirty work, I cover w/ a camo sleeveless heavy cotton shirt. How to deal w/ the heat??? If you are used to an AC office & desk job, it will be difficult. Sweat is soaked up by t-shirt. Loose cover shirt will catch all breeze if any. I have to clean my weapon almost daily when working. It is not yet really hot here but had to take down & give a quick clean up even today. Bottom line is you just have to decide to do it, then do it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
longtooth said:
Don't know how old you are but some of the responses tell me they are much younger than I. My running days were over a long time ago. Carry SA Custom Loaded A1 black stainless in Sparks VM2. Cover w/ a polo shirt or short sleve cotton untucked. Deep East Texas Heat. If mowing, welding, dirty work, I cover w/ a camo sleeveless heavy cotton shirt. How to deal w/ the heat??? If you are used to an AC office & desk job, it will be difficult. Sweat is soaked up by t-shirt. Loose cover shirt will catch all breeze if any. I have to clean my weapon almost daily when working. It is not yet really hot here but had to take down & give a quick clean up even today. Bottom line is you just have to decide to do it, then do it.

hello longtooth. nice to speak with another Texan. I'm in Allen, just north of Dallas, not that you needed that info. We must be tolerant our compadre on the West Coast. He might be just now coming of age. all said in good humor of course.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bud White said:
i carried a 1911 in shorts and T-shirt all summer last year and it was a fullsize 5" all depends how ya dress
Bud - What kinda holster and was your T-shirt tucked or untucked?

I've got a Milt Sparks Versa Max II I like a lot, but haven't tried wearing it next to my own hide yet.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Who goes full size all the time, and how did you get use to packing it in the heat?
I really don't know if you ever get use to it or not, I've learned to live with it because the 1911 is what I choose to carry. I carry in one of three ways in shorts or long pants. Either in a Gordon Davis "Security" (Summer Special), an Askins Avenger or a Miami Classic, depending on what I plan on doing.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Longtooth, good response and you are right I will have to get use to it. However, I make myself get out in the heat because when I worked for Uncle Sam the outside heat and cold was my office. Now, as a mental health counselor I am inside at times but I hike and remain active to stay in shape. Anyway friends thanks again heading to the gym now and strapping on the .38

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm not as dedicated as the others. As long as it is cool enough to wear an undershirt, I always carry a full size 1911 in a Milt Sparks Watch Six. However, once it gets warmer and I lose the undershirt, I just don't feel comfortable with those grips digging into bare skin. And wearing an undershirt is just very uncomfortable (like you, I enjoy hiking and other pseudo-strenuous activities).

So - when the heat comes - it's the 357 in the pocket and no looking back.

I'm just a wussie. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Gargoyle357 said:
Guess since I drop all the way down to a .38 I'm an even bigger wussie than you.

Wussies unite! :beerchug:
Well, since we are getting everything out on the table - I sometimes carry my wife's .38 special.

Oh... the humiliation.

:whisky:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts