Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My family and I are taking a road trip this summer from Colorado to East Tennessee. We will be in an SUV without a trunk or space that's separate from the passenger compartment. The fastest route takes us through KS, MO and then through southern Illinois. It appears we can successfully avoid most of Illinois by going south on I-55 out of St. Louis and heading east where I-55 meets I-57 (near Miner) instead of east on I-64 and south on I-57. This would add almost an hour to an already very long drive.

I went to the Illinois State Police website, and it was less than helpful. There's a lot of "this is permitted, unless it's not permitted" kind of jargon. My biggest concern is getting stopped, or having to stop, in one of these municipalities where handguns are banned completely.

My questions are for those of you who live near this area or who travel through this area regularly. Is is worth the extra hour to avoid this part of Illinois? Should I be worried about the sliver of Illinois I'll still have to traverse, even if I take the long way around (where the Mississippi and Ohio rivers meet)? Should I just stop in Missouri, lock it up and travel under FOPA until I get to free America? Am I over thinking this? :blink:

Thanks in advance for the helpful advice.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
That sounds great to be able to take family on that kind of adventure. Perhaps if you have time, you can stop in you LGS and pick up a book that will tell you what the gun laws are for every state. Or, order you a copy of this reference or other similar references to have on-hand. If your guns are worth carrying, a reference is worth having in your possession as well. Gun Laws by State 2016 Edition - Gun Law Book

Have fun on your trip, and I hope your family have a wonderful and memorable time as well. Grace and peace.

Reactions: Calvito

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I've driven through that area and I had my handgun locked in a lockbox in the trunk. Many jurisdictions recognize Peaceable Journey Laws as long as you don't stop. If you rent a room in that jurisdiction then technically the Peaceable Journey Laws no longer apply. It only covers you if you're transiting the area. If the PJLs are recognized, you are in compliance if you can legally possess the weapon in your point of origin and your destination.

Not all jurisdictions recognize Peaceable Journey Laws. I was told that Washington DC and Chicago don't recognize them. This was several years ago, so things may have changed.

I was also advised to go to Handgunlaw.us and look it up and carry a copy of the state law with you.

I generally avoid places like Washington DC, New York City, and Chicago when I travel because I don't want to deal with the laws and the traffic.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
You can’t carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a valid Permit/license.
430 ILCS 66/40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as
evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of
residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I went to the Illinois State Police website, and it was less than helpful. There's a lot of "this is permitted, unless it's not permitted" kind of jargon. My biggest concern is getting stopped, or having to stop, in one of these municipalities where handguns are banned completely.
Yup. One of the severe problems with a state that has no viable state-wide preemption statutes, barring arbitrary declaration of crimes for this or that situation related to arms. That patchwork mess can get a person in the slammer and indebted to the State faster than a goose can ... well, you get the picture.

Regarding IL, I've got nothing. I just avoid it. And will continue to, until they get their act together.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
You can concealed carry as long as you stay in your car and you have a CCP from your state. If you leave the vehicle, the gun must be stored in a locked container or concealed in the locked vehicle. If you want to take the gun into a hotel room, it must be unloaded and carried in a container. (suitcase, range bag, fanny pack, etc.)

If you stop for gas west of St. Louis, you'll be able to take I-64 into Indiana in about an hour and a half, and you won't need to stop. And southern Illinois is very pro-gun.

If you plan on taking 64 to 57 to 24, it'll be more like 2.5 hours.

Also, a center console or glove compartment are legal storage options.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
This is what I relied on, when I took a recent trip to Florida. I carried my G26 as I would normally. I went 64 to 57 to 24. Gassed up on my side of the Mississippi and didn't stop until I was in KY. No need to get out of my car, no need to disarm. Southern IL is very rural. Set your cruise for the posted speed limit and you'll very likely have an uneventful trip though the state.
You can’t carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a valid Permit/license.
430 ILCS 66/40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as
evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of
residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
This is what I relied on, when I took a recent trip to Florida. I carried my G26 as I would normally. I went 64 to 57 to 24. Gassed up on my side of the Mississippi and didn't stop until I was in KY. No need to get out of my car, no need to disarm. Southern IL is very rural. Set your cruise for the posted speed limit and you'll very likely have an uneventful trip though the state.
So, if traveling through IL without stopping, is IL currently supporting the legitimate "peaceable journey" criteria of the Fed code covering this? And does IL's coverage mean they'll not criminalize on-body or in-cabin carry of a loaded firearm during the journey? :confused:

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
secure you guns in a cas if possible ammo another location spare tire well? Stay on interstate and don't stop . Fuel in St Louis area and eat or snack up .

Police are not setting along roads with gun sniffers . Just drive and enjoy the trip . I drove across 64 to St Louis in a truck 5 days a week with a pistol on my person. We delivered in a bad area of St Louis . Our securityguard was car jacked as they changed shift 's, once .

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the great replies. I do indeed have a permit from CO, and I did visit the IL State Police website and handgunlaw.us. I'm still weary of the lack of state preemption, as CCW pointed out. The idea that I could be completely legal one minute and then a felon the next just by crossing an invisible line concerns me.

Also, I'll be traveling with with my wife, 2 teenagers and a 5 year old. The need to pee every five minutes is strong with them. An hour and a half drive would be nothing for most of us, but it can be an eternity when a 5 year old girl has to potty.

That's why I was thinking of going south on I-55 and just crossing Illinois into Kentucky at the southern tip.

On a side note, every time I start to type "Illinois" with my phone it starts typing "illegal". Even my iPhone knows. :ahhhhh:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Lock your guns, separate the ammo, do the speed limit, keep your hands on the wheel, head and eyes on a swivel, and just drive through. Don't get friendly, don't make gestures, don't pet the monkey. Mind your business and go on through.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
You don't have to disarm just to stop. As long as you stay in your car, you can carry. It's only if you leave the car that you need to disarm. Just stick under the seat or in the center console and lock the car.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
You don't have to disarm just to stop. As long as you stay in your car, you can carry. It's only if you leave the car that you need to disarm. Just stick under the seat or in the center console and lock the car.
For everyone's benefit, do you happen to have the reference to the IL State and/or Fed codes that specifically indicate that if an out-of-state person stays in the vehicle fully armed that that's lawful?

Might change a lot of opinions on concern over IL's statutes, if it's clearly written for all to see.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
So, if traveling through IL without stopping, is IL currently supporting the legitimate "peaceable journey" criteria of the Fed code covering this? And does IL's coverage mean they'll not criminalize on-body or in-cabin carry of a loaded firearm during the journey? :confused:
All I can point you too is this language directly from Illinois concealed carry law.

(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and

(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13.)

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Rhinoman posted the law in post #4 as well as craze, above.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Also to add that Illinois does have statewide handgun preemption. As has been posted a few other times in this thread (with citations) Illinois will recognize any other state's permit for carrying in your vehicle. You do need an Illinois permit to carry outside of your vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
Yes to all.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Fist what he said ^^^

Second avoid illinois at all cost

Third southern Illinois is not as bad as northern illinois with gun laws, but not saying don't follow the laws, keep it on you don't stop unless you have to and if you do lock it up in the glove box if you not going to be there long just to be safe ( and I would unload it if you do ) don't want to give them then any reason!

Fourth have a good trip....and rest areas are off limits with guns

·
Registered
215 Posts
secure you guns in a cas if possible ammo another location spare tire well? Stay on interstate and don't stop . Fuel in St Louis area and eat or snack up .

Police are not setting along roads with gun sniffers . Just drive and enjoy the trip . I drove across 64 to St Louis in a truck 5 days a week with a pistol on my person. We delivered in a bad area of St Louis . Our securityguard was car jacked as they changed shift 's, once .
You can store your gun unloaded with the ammo separate from the gun if you wish, but it isn't necessary you can have the ammo in a magazine in the same case as the gun if you want. You could exit the vehicle with it in the case and go into a truck stop to use the bathrooms if you wanted. As was stated before if you have a CCL you can keep the handgun loaded on your person or off your person while in the vehicle. If you exit the vehicle have it in a locked console or glove box if you don't lock the vehicle. Keep it concealed in the vehicle.

As Blackhawkfann24 said rest area buildings are off limits to carry. Something Illinois needs to fix like Ohio did.

Illinois has better transport laws than a lot of states and Southern Illinois is more gun friendly than Northern Illinois as was mentioned. I'll mention an incident in a my local bank that happened after the carry law went into effect in Illinois. I was in the bank early in 2014, the law was in effect but no CCLs had been issued yet. I'm at the teller window and their is a lady meeting with a customer rep about her account apparently. The rep apparently needs to see some ID and the woman reaches into her purse. I hear the guy say "Is that loaded?" I'm quite sure she had a handgun in the purse. She finished her business with him and left the bank shortly before me. No they didn't call the police. Another bank nearby has a gun sign when you enter that says "Security Notice: Legally carried handguns are allowed on this property.

I wouldn't stop for gas in East St. Louis, (like avoiding Cleveland or Chicago's South Side). Not that you'd be likely to have problems having a gun in the car in East St. Louis, but you might be car jacked or robbed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts