Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing gunbroker.com tonight. I cam across a ak 47 pistol. It is technically, by law, a pistol that fires a rifle round. My initial though was that this would be the ultimate gun to carry in a vehicle. This in my opinion would greatly surpass the Taurus Judge in stopping power, and defiantly in penetration (for most applications to much). Unless i am missing something, i don't see how this would be a legal issue. I am a resident of Michigan. Any thoughts pertaining to the legalities to this would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have no first-hand experience, but if it is as reliable as my rifle and shoots a 7.62, that's a truck gun with some serious thump and excellent capacity... I think I read somewhere that accuracy suffers with distance, but you aren't shooting anything further than 40 yards out with a truck gun, right...?

·
Registered
6 Posts
i also have no first hand experience with SBR legalities, but one would assume that if it's legally a pistol, you can treat it like a pistol in every way. a SBR AR15 is one thing i plan to do in the future for exactly this purpose, but i haven't looked into it that deeply.

one thing i have heard though, is that AR/AK pistols have to follow the "once a pistol, always a pistol... once a rifle, always a rifle" rule. if the AK pistol was once a rifle and was converted, i don't think it's technically considered a pistol and therefore cannot be concealed as such...without the NFA paperwork for a SBR of course. i think it has to be 'born' as a pistol... as in purchased, assembled, and registered (if your state has gun registration) as a pistol.

what i do know is that a pistol/rifle designtion has nothing to do with the caliber used, but has everything to do with barrel length. if i've interpreted PA laws correctly, a "firearm" is a rifle with a barrel length less than 16", a shotgun with a barrel length less than 18", etc etc. PA's 'carry permit' is called a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF). i believe, by law, that if a person posesses a PA LTCF, he or she could legally carry a "firearm" of any kind as long as they have the proper NFA paperwork.

i'll keep researching this though, this has me thinking now. lol.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I was browsing gunbroker.com tonight. I cam across a ak 47 pistol. It is technically, by law, a pistol that fires a rifle round. My initial though was that this would be the ultimate gun to carry in a vehicle. This in my opinion would greatly surpass the Taurus Judge in stopping power, and defiantly in penetration (for most applications to much). Unless i am missing something, i don't see how this would be a legal issue. I am a resident of Michigan. Any thoughts pertaining to the legalities to this would be appreciated. Thanks!
It's a pistol. It's legal. Must register as a pistol in MI. Subject to CPL laws. You can carry it loaded in your vehicle or concealed on your person. I carry an AR15 pistol in my vehicle.

It is not a SBR. The weapon has to have had a shoulder stock currently or previously attached in order to be a SBR.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
AR pistols put out a buncha suppressive fire in a small package,and with practice are pretty accurate

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Shot a SIG AR pistol and was impressed! Would by one but I already have a RRA Tactical Entry and honestly couldn't afford it's hefty price. Haven't shot or seen an AK version.

Would make one hell of a truck gun! Pity the stupid person who messes with you with that puny pistol! Would also make a great/convenient deer or groundhog gun with the right ammo if you are allowed to use a pistol for hunting in your state.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Yes, we can use a pistol in MI for hunting. I use my 10mm 1911.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Some states have limits on bullet diameter and cartridge length for deer hunting,in Ks you can't hunt deer with a 22 calibre rifle including 223

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think pistols in rifle caliber is the best way to go for
ultimate firepower in a small package for vehicle carry
as well as many other enviroments. Just be sure it does not
have a pistol grip forend or don't add one later without registering
it first as an AOW. Adding a fixed stock or folding stock makes it a
SBR which then you could add on a pistol grip too. I own a Kel Tec PLR-16 with a beta drum which Im planning on making a SBR. Would like a AK pistol too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts