Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering buying this for my Glock 27 or Ruger LCP (or both if I can come up with the green). I'd like to hear opinions in general and about the material specifically.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad to see this question...I bot a different manufacture with horsehide and won't do that again. Way too stiff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I carry a p239 in a horsehide SuperTuck. The hide was a little stiff but very comfortable. With the lighter G27 I believe you could go with your preference. Crossbreed makes a MiniTuck for the LCP and I think it's cowhide only?
I'm gonna order a mini for my P238 and SP101 after the holidays.

ps I think the cowhide would work as well for heavier pistols. I really ordered Horsehide because I preferred the natural finish. The extra rigidity was a bonus.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have a one in the black cow hide and have no issues and I am currently living is L.A. (lower alabama) hot and humid. But i always wear a undershirt under everything. So the undershirt is between me and the holster. I have heard that the horse hide does better repeling sweat and such. All I know is that I love my crossbreed and have no issues with it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I had a horsehide, I believe I prefer it over cowhide. When I first got it, I had to sand the inner side, and treat it with saddle soap to get it to be comfortable.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a horsehide supertuck for my j-frame and love it. Having a good belt is a plus.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I will be buying one soon also for my G26 I think, with cow hide. Bad choice?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Either one will serve well. The main difference between cow and horse is that horsehide has a tighter grain that makes it stiffer and a bit tougher. It's less susceptible to moisture (sweat, humidity) but it doesn't seem to accept dye very well (which may explain why it's only available in 'natural' color).

I got the horsehide upgrade and it took about 10 days to completely finish breaking in. But then I'm 6'2" and 175 lbs so the leather had to make a pretty tight turn (almost a quarter-circle) when molding to my 3:30 position. Now that it's broken in, however, I don't even know it's there; I have to deliberately bump the gun with my elbow!

Horsehide is nice to have, but cowhide will get the job done just as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have both.

1) Cowhide is great and will give you no issues.

2) Having tried the horsehide, I will ALWAYS go with it in the future. Very nice tight grain. Love it.

Pics below of a G30sf cowhide and P239 horsehide.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have the Minotaur MTAC for my carry. I live in Florida, where I frequently have extremely hot and humid weather. The backing on my MTAC is a real life saver from a comfort standpoint.

I'd certainly recommend paying a little extra for backing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just recently purchased a horsehide SuperTuck for my LCR and love it. I sweat just standing still, so I went with the horsehide version! With an undershirt, the holster is very comfortable.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Unless you are a genetic freak and lack sweat glands OR will always wear an undershirt, horsehide is the way to go. The black cowhide looks cooler but then this is never supposed to be seen anyways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine are in Horsehide also, summertime in central/south texas can be a pretty sweaty affair.

They are not uncomfortable at all, they are super stiff when new, but take about a week to break in to the point you won't even notice it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have both and I think both are great. The cowhide certainly breaks in a lot quicker but the horsehide settled in after about a month of regular use. I made my own combat cuts and that is a must. You sacrifice comfort slightly but speed and ease of draw are MUCH improved. I also had to file a finger notch too for the best grip on my SW99c in the horsehide.

Both are good. Next time I have to buy one it will probably be the cowhide though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the coolmax undershirts, that wick away the moisture by and keeps the holster dry :) I went with the cowhide Super Tuck's for my two weapons! Love them and wouldn't give them up for anything!
Here's the URL for the CoolMax shirts, a big plus is he's a Vet!

Coolmax short sleeve shirts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts