Defensive Carry banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Generally speaking, when things which include leather squeak, it's because either something is rubbing against a leather layer, or two leather layers are rubbing against one-another.

When the leather-including object is a shoe, the reason for the squeak will usually be found in or around the shoe's sole. (Please bear with me here. I'm presenting an illustrative example.)
Shoe squeaks most often occur when the several layers of leather which make up the shoe's sole were improperly or carelessly glued together. The glue has broken loose, and one layer of sole is now rubbing against another.
The remedy, short of taking the whole thing apart and re-gluing it, is to inject some talcum powder, baby powder, or even molybdenum disulfide ("Moly") powder into the space between the soles. This acts as a lubricant between the layers, and stops the squeak.

When a layer of Kydex is not rigidly secured to its leather backing, the two materials rub together. Sometimes, the two layers can't be rigidly secured together, since Kydex is (comparatively) rigid and leather is (comparatively) flexible. It's a design issue, and when anything like this happens, you get a squeak.
When a holster maker uses fairly rigid leather layers for both exterior and interior (lining, for example), and the two layers are not solidly glued together, a squeak will very often be the result.

One solution that some people use, for the squeaky-holster problem, is to soften one of the layers. In the case of a part-Kydex holster, the part which these people soften is the leather layer; in the case of an all-leather holster, it is the exterior layer.
But be warned: This "softening cure" is never a good solution to the problem of a squeak! In most cases, it will ruin the holster. Don't do it.

Most properly-designed and well-made holsters, whether all-leather, all-Kydex, or a "hybrid" mixture of the two, depend for proper function, to a great extent, upon the stiffness of the material from which they're made.
In order to maintain the holster's proper function, including both retention and release, the user must maintain the material's stiffness in the way that the designer intended. Softening the material beyond that intention is not an option.

Therefore, the only practical and non-destructive solutions to a squeaky holster are limited to injecting a dry-powder lubricant between the squeaky layers, or discarding the holster and using something else.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
You are very lucky and glad to see there CS has got better, when my wife bought mine was Christmas of 2006 and it was 2008 when it failed it just did not like the 110 heat in Az. I guess

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the input, but I think I'm mostly done with the supertuck. I set up this eidolon for the G22 and its actually fairly comfortable, although it may have to do with the smaller and smoother G22. It appears kydex may be a viable alternative.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.5 is similar to the Cross Breed SuperTuck. The Alien Gear is silent. Plus they have a lot of different kydex shells you can buy separately to carry different pistols. I have had mine for a few years and I am happy with it.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Add me to the list of those that tried the SuperTuck and could not get used to it or, any other hybrid for that matter. The one I had was well broken in and came with a Springfield XDS in 45ACP I traded for several years back. I could not get used to wearing the hybrid and I do remember it did squeak some. I have tried numerous hybrids and can't wear them. Just too much contact area for me personally.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I only use leather now days, I was at my favorite restaurant one night, we are friends with the owners, and a idiot was having and argument with the owner about a pick up order, we were sitting at a table right there, I pulled my gun and kept it on my lap, the creep hears the "cling" from the holster he looks around, he didn't know who but he knew a gun was drawn, he picked his bag and left.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts