Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reading another article, I ran across a link to this poll from Gallup in November that had a few numbers that surprised me. In particular, I found this quote very interesting:

Americans' support for a ban on the possession of handguns, at 25%, is near the lowest on record in Gallup's 40-year trend. The latest reading, which is down 18 points from its 1991 high, is a slight decline from last year's 29%. Currently, 74% of U.S. adults say such a ban should not be put in place.

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
Poll numbers are down due to the fact that we have not had a mass shooting event in a while.
Those numbers go up and down based on that more than anything else.
Knee jerk reaction and the madness that is spoken my the MSM and leftist politicians after one of these events.
I will add in the possibility that the election result may have added to the numbers who do not believe in more gun laws.
But a lot of folks voted for Biden to enact them also so that may be a wash.

·
Premium Member
4,056 Posts
I suspect a true poll would show an even greater disparity.

·
Registered
39,998 Posts
I wouldn't trust the responses on a one-man poll. Likely the person polled is either lying or just not telling the truth.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
unfortunately, if congress will ignore the constitution they will ignore that poll as well.

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suspect a true poll would show an even greater disparity.
I don't understand your comment? What would constitute a "true poll"? Do you mean a poll of all adults in the U.S.?

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't matter what a poll says, stricter gun laws are coming.
I don't doubt that, but it is still interesting that in the meantime, states are passing Constitutional Carry and other more relaxed gun laws, in what would appear to me to be a message to the Federal government. I could be wrong, but that's what it seems to me.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,848 Posts
I don't doubt that, but it is still interesting that in the meantime, states are passing Constitutional Carry and other more relaxed gun laws, in what would appear to me to be a message to the Federal government. I could be wrong, but that's what it seems to me.
Some states are going in the right direction. More states are infringing the Second Amendment as fast as they can. The Oregon Legislature is trying to outdo California and Washington.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Facts don't matter.

In my region, the Bloombergers are running their agenda through the state legislature without regard to opposition. Emails and phone calls are through the roof, but the commies turn a blind eye and ear and continue to vote "aye" against our Constitutional protections.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Some states are going in the right direction. More states are infringing the Second Amendment as fast as they can. The Oregon Legislature is trying to outdo California and Washington.
Yes, I believe lines are being drawn deeper and wider across the country. If you look at the massive relocations happening from blue to red I think people are moving to places to live as free as possible and/or make their final stands. Only decision is which side of that line do you want to live on?

·
Registered
39,998 Posts
Yes, I believe lines are being drawn deeper and wider across the country. If you look at the massive relocations happening from blue to red I think people are moving to places to live as free as possible and/or make their final stands. Only decision is which side of that line do you want to live on?
I'm fine with theory, but the reality is they are not escaping, merely transmitting across the country what they seek to escape.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
It was a Gallup poll and they did publish their survey methods. Fairly transparent. Trusting or not, objective or not, is up to the individual.

What has been the case for many decades.....nothing new or worse than ever before....some states have more comfort level with restricting gun rights than others. Is this some new awakening or unexpected awareness? That it continues to exist, as it has always been, is a norm...why would expectation of this change? Frustrating as it may be, it is a long standing norm. The headline to the story seems to be the positive trend rather than reason for woe over what really is long standing precedent.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I don't think these numbers are down because we have not had any shootings, I think they're down because more people are beginning to understand the argument in favor of ownership and the people that are in favor of bans and controls were always a fairly minority number anyway ..... this is at 25% today, down 19% from 30 years ago .... so at it's peak 30 years ago it was still a minority that wanted controls or bans in place.

We all have to stop letting the news lead us around by the nose.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I don't think these numbers are down because we have not had any shootings, I think they're down because more people are beginning to understand the argument in favor of ownership and the people that are in favor of bans and controls were always a fairly minority number anyway ..... this is at 25% today, down 19% from 30 years ago .... so at it's peak 30 years ago it was still a minority that wanted controls or bans in place.

We all have to stop letting the news lead us around by the nose.
I agree and I have to believe that quite a few of the over 8 million new gun owners over the last year at some point supported gun control but now that they are owners they no longer do.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I don't understand your comment? What would constitute a "true poll"? Do you mean a poll of all adults in the U.S.?
It would have to be a poll that all the people asked responded to. A lot of people, mostly conservatives, never answer pollsters. It doesn't matter what the topic is. That skews the results.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts