Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the good guns are being thrown on auction sights for higher profits
I know when times are like they are now shelves get cleared off but you
want to hand me a 2020 Colt Python and tell me its not for sale because you placed it on GB
Other shops selling Colt M4s for double MSRP on the auction sites
and so on and so on. Im all for capitalism but loyalty works both ways..

pissed

·
Registered
Pistoleer
547 Posts
My LGS charges so high that after buying online, paying shipping, and then paying the transfer fee I still come out over $100 cheaper over their price for the same firearm sitting right in their display cabinet. Ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
34,142 Posts
I recently saw somewhere that if you are wanting the right gun in the right caliber at the right price, you are about six months late.

LGS's are now in a position that they don't know when the inventory they sell will be replaced. They have been there for awhile.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Interesting about this, my state GunTrader site has a gazillion guns on it, including some really nice stuff and they are not moving at all. The people selling are having to bump their posts like a half dozen times and still nothing. There is ammo there too. Some gun sellers are offering ammo with the guns to sweeten the deal. With handguns, it's common to see really nice holsters in the deal also. I almost did a deal to trade my motorcycle for a couple of nice rifles, but it fell through.

But here's the thing. You are going to have to pay new MSRP for a used gun and you are not going to get the gun you're looking for in the caliber you are looking for. So the bottom line is, if you are a novice gun buyer and you are just looking for some gun, with some ammo, that will work for SD, you can get it. If you are like most of the people here, including me, who have specific preferences, you are gonna have a tough time. It does seem like odd calibers are having a heyday.

Richmond is going to have its first gun show since February at the end of the month. I am thinking about volunteering for the first shift at the VCDL booth just to see what is going on. I think it is going to be a mess, though, so I am hesitant.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
There are several gun shops in my area, and their prices run the gamut from normal to outrageous. Funny part is, they are all selling lots of guns, even the high-priced place.

·
Registered
36,177 Posts
Ever notice how gun sales peak at election times?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The dealers I know are constantly struggling to keep an inventory that will sell. Prices will always be a function of supply and demand; when a hundred people want the same item the person willing to pay the highest price is most likely to own that item. A dealer who sells existing inventory for less than it will cost to replace that inventory will not be in business very long.

Local gun shops did not create the political environment driving the current marketplace, they are merely riding the same roller-coaster as the rest of us. Those who think they know better are perfectly free to rent or buy a place to do business, jump through the hoops to obtain the required licensing, pay for a big insurance policy, sink every nickel they have or can borrow to stock the shelves, and put in 12 hours a day and 6 days per week to prove their point.

I ran a small business for 20 years (after taking early retirement from a 24 year law enforcement career). There was never a shortage of people ready to explain to me how I should be running my business or what my prices should be. I retired 5 years ago, debt-free, in a new home paid for in cash, with 1.5 million in savings and retirement accounts. Maybe I knew a little bit more about my business than those who never did it themselves.

It sounds so simple! Go ahead and do it yourself! Show us how to do it right!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't know about his gun prices as I haven't been in the market but I did make a comment to the owner of my LGS that his prices on reloading supplies were still pretty reasonable compared to some others. He said places that gouge their customers during shortages will likely be remembered when the panic passes.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I understand people wanting the best deal for their money, and I understand dealers wanting a good profit for their wares. It will work out, just buy or don't buy, patronize a business or go elsewhere and the market will adjust. {Maybe,}

I recently overpaid for an older Smith revolver from a shop that I just had to have for nostalgic reasons, and I paid for it by selling an HK P7 for way more than I paid for it 12 years ago. Neither of us were in the wrong.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Yesterday I went to what used to be the largest gun show in Texas. It was less than 25% of what it used to be, and I wasted $10 on admission for a half hour of browsing. The tables had very few new guns and those they did have were outrageously priced. A gen 3 G19 for $595. A P226 for $1000. One guy selling reloading supplies - cans of powder (metal cans) for $30. Boxes of bullets that looked like they were from the 70s.
Ammo going for ridiculous prices. $35 for a box of Tulammo 45. 9mm going for $25 a box.
The big box retailers haven’t jacked up prices, but small local guys have. Sorry, but I value my money too much to overspend just to help a local gun store or show vendor.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Loyalty is a relationship.

I walk into my LGS and point to something that's for sale and ask him if he has it, can get it, and how close to the price can he settle.
Every single time I've walked out with the weapon I want at the price I can live with and we're both satisfied.

I also have a short list of things I'm looking for that he keeps an eye out for. He's called me twice and we've negotiated very fair deals on pieces that I wanted, he got his hands on, and neither of us had to deal with GB.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Hmmm. I've been in the LGS and the prices have been reasonable. Some of their wares are on GT and marked as such. At the same price as GT. If I buy it in the store, it comes down off GT if it's the only one they have. So I don't understand your problem. Of course, not all LGS's operate that way, but the price is the same whether its sold in the store or through GT or other site.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
My LGS is a family run store and they are Christians. Always treated me better than I deserve and they don’t price gouge. Been doing business with them for 20 years.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,383 Posts
I buy older Colts and other guns from the local LGS. When they get something in that they think I will want, they call me before it goes on the shelf or on GunBroker at a higher price. If there is an issue, they fix it or refund my money. I also get the employee discount on new guns. If there is an issue with a gun under warranty, they ship it to the manufacturer at their cost. You can't beat a great relationship with a LGS.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The local GS opened a few years back the price of guns a lil on higher side , I told them I could purchase the same gun at buds for 10-20% less , he said he would match any advertised price , even if he had to order the gun , all my purchases are now made locally .

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
One thing the internet has done is level the pricing nation wide. Pre internet I had no idea what a SxS shotgun would sell for in TX! I only knew what it would bring chose to my home. The guys that made a living traveling to gun shows had to know what was in demand in the area they were going to next. The East side of the country has a lot of people, and a lot of used guns. That keeps the price of used guns down. Out where I live the cows out number the people by a lot! Not so many used guns, so the prices run high.
The internet though has leveled that out, I can see with a few key strokes what a gun is worth nation wide. This also works with new gun sales. The Python in the OP's opening may be worth a lot more in other areas.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts