Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do they say that shooting .22 rimfire through a suppressor makes it dirty? That you need a can you can take apart and clean.
What makes .22 rimfire dirtier to shoot through a suppressor than a centerfire cartridge?

What about shooting subsonic centerfire loads, or loads that may not burn all the powder? Will they make a can dirty enough you need to clean it?

I thought I read somewhere that a slightly dirty can is actually quieter.

What's the poop on the dirt?

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I've been asking around on a local forum about this. From what I've gathered, the powder used in most .22's is just dirtier. And while a little residue may be a good thing as far as sound goes, I would guess too much could begin to affect accuracy. Several of us locally have seen the ads for the $99 22 suppressor, but it apparently isn't user serviceable. Not sure if an ultrasonic cleaner would work, or if you just have to send it in to be cleaned. I figured if I want a cheap suppressor, I'll get a solvent trap style and get a tax stamp for it. At least then I can run it on multiple calibers and clean it myself as needed.

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, so it's simply the powder used for .22. That's good to know.
Loading these powder puff subsonic loads I didn't know if I was flirting with carboning up my suppressor as if I was shooting .22.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
There is a fair amount of lead residue left by 22 rimfire rounds that creates the main fouling in suppressors. That said, lead adhering to the baffles is what creates the main problem in rimfire suppressors.

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Personally I would rather all of my suppressors be user serviceable because...why not?! As far as for .22 cans it's a must IMO, there's the unburnt powder and leading, it builds up much faster than I would like and there are times when I wished I had cleaned it just one hundred rounds earlier. I would never shoot rimfire through a sealed centerfire can.
Some centerfire ammo (powder) is dirtier than others and it would be practical to be able to clean it by hand. Some people shoot centerfire cast bullets and that leads to excessive leading, also a good reason to be able to break down your suppressor.

PA I can't see how a dirty can (=less volume) can equal a quieter can. The only theory I can see that helping in is imf they are saying it cuts down on the harmonics of the tube due to buildup. Now I know that hot gas in the suppressor makes it some quieter, a fresh shot through a can is known as "first round pop" because the hot gas hits the cold air inside the suppressor. You prolly already know some or all of that anyway.

This photo shows how bad excessive leading from lack of cleaning can build up and clog baffles.

Photo from: emptormaven.com

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so if the concern is also the leading, why wouldn't shooting cast bullets through a centerfire be a concern?
I recall HotGuns recently saying he casts some heavy lead bullets. And we all know leading can foul a bore. Why not a centerfire suppressor?

Reactions: Wasp

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
OK, so if the concern is also the leading, why wouldn't shooting cast bullets through a centerfire be a concern?
I recall HotGuns recently saying he casts some heavy lead bullets. And we all know leading can foul a bore. Why not a centerfire suppressor?
PA, I have wanted to get a Ruger 77/357 for a long time and put a can on it, and after doing some research I wanted to do it even more. Theres a guy with the user name Ptaylor that has done it and primarily handloads heavy cast bullets and shoots them through a Liberty Mystic which is a user serviceable can with a monobaffle. Here is a link (worth looking through every page IMO if you like suppressors) where he describes his setup, about half way down the page he takes apart the can and shows the lead buildup stating, "take it apart to clean it occasionally because lead buildup csn cause flyers." You can clearly see the lead buildup and clean out.

Ruger 77/357 -

I would feel more comfortable shooting FMJ through a sealed can if it were mine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've been asking around on a local forum about this. From what I've gathered, the powder used in most .22's is just dirtier. And while a little residue may be a good thing as far as sound goes, I would guess too much could begin to affect accuracy. Several of us locally have seen the ads for the $99 22 suppressor, but it apparently isn't user serviceable. Not sure if an ultrasonic cleaner would work, or if you just have to send it in to be cleaned. I figured if I want a cheap suppressor, I'll get a solvent trap style and get a tax stamp for it. At least then I can run it on multiple calibers and clean it myself as needed.
The $99 rebel suppressor is able to disassembled for cleaning according to their video on their web site.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PA, I have wanted to get a Ruger 77/357 for a long time and put a can on it, and after doing some research I wanted to do it even more. Theres a guy with the user name Ptaylor that has done it and primarily handloads heavy cast bullets and shoots them through a Liberty Mystic which is a user serviceable can with a monobaffle. Here is a link (worth looking through every page IMO if you like suppressors) where he describes his setup, about half way down the page he takes apart the can and shows the lead buildup stating, "take it apart to clean it occasionally because lead buildup csn cause flyers." You can clearly see the lead buildup and clean out.

Ruger 77/357 -

I would feel more comfortable shooting FMJ through a sealed can if it were mine.
Aha! So you do need to worry about buildup.
I was under the impression that only 22 cans needed cleaning. Not sure where I picked up on that, either here or from my Class3 guy. And I recall an owner of a gun shop saying like 20,000 rounds without cleaning when he was talking about his suppressor... but I don't know if he was shooting full power loads or not. Or if that makes a difference.
Hence my thread :smile:

The $99 rebel suppressor is able to disassembled for cleaning according to their video on their web site.
The guy I bought my suppressors from told me the biggest difference between a cheap 22 can and one twice the price is the materials used and how hard you can scrub it plus the solvents you can use.

Just throwing that out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use AAC m4-2000 on many of my 22 rifles and handguns. Yea it gets dirty but after I install it back on my 5.56 rifles and get it hot enough it evaporates all of the failing.
Been doing this for past 8 years or so and no problems yet. However don't misinterpret this as the best way to handle 22. At that time there weren't option for serviceable 5.56 suppressor that is rated for full auto use. Now you have options. And if you can pick one that you can service, get it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
PAcanis, there is less to worry about with full metal jacket and cleaner burning powders.

Averajejo: I don't think you can evaporate lead and powder. It may loosen and blow some of it out but you likely still have quite a bit of buildup after eight years. The best thing to do is buy a dedicated can for .22 and preferably a serviceable one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts