Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Jury will be out for me with him on the 2nd until I hear more. He hasn't dealt with many cases on this. There is one ruling I read about from the 10th circuit where he concurred, which conflated being armed with being "dangerous". I don't like the sound of that, but he did not write an opinion on the case so I don't know what his thought process was.

I like what I'm hearing on most things, though, so I'd like to believe he has an intellectually honest and consistent judicial philosophy that will apply to the 2nd in the same way it applies to everything else. Still doesn't mean I'll always be happy, just as I was not entirely happy with Scalia at times (on the topic of the 2nd, at least).

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
From what I'm hearing about him, i love it.
Just listening to Napolitano on Tucker Carlson; and I'm more than satisfied.

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
He will support and respect the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. He is not of the camp that the Constitution is a fluid document. He will support 2A as written. I have no doubt that he will be confirmed by the Senate, hopefully without Dem's filibustering hopefully by April.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Jury will be out for me with him on the 2nd until I hear more. He hasn't dealt with many cases on this. There is one ruling I read about from the 10th circuit where he concurred, which conflated being armed with being "dangerous". I don't like the sound of that, but he did not write an opinion on the case so I don't know what his thought process was.

I like what I'm hearing on most things, though, so I'd like to believe he has an intellectually honest and consistent judicial philosophy that will apply to the 2nd in the same way it applies to everything else. Still doesn't mean I'll always be happy, just as I was not entirely happy with Scalia at times (on the topic of the 2nd, at least).
I agree. I wrote both of my Senators, Cruz and Cornyn, to ask Judge Gorsuch his 2A views and opinions. I'm just grateful that Trump won, and that the SCOTUS will be leaning more conservative in the future.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Couldn't imagine who we would be talking about if Hitlery got elected. Thank the good Lord we won't ever have to worry about that!
If Hillary had won, it would have been best if they could have immediately confirmed Garland, and not given her the chance (at least not to replace Scalia... Ginsberg may retire soon too).

·
Administrator
144,127 Posts
Sad but, expected the protestors did not know who was going to be selected.... Only that they were going to protest no matter who.

They had signs printed up but, had to write his name in with a Sharpie Bold marker. :biggrin2:

I think he is a great pick. :yup:

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
“Like Scalia, Gorsuch is a proponent of originalism — meaning that judges should attempt to interpret the words of the Constitution as they were understood at the time they were written — and a textualist who considers only the words of the law being reviewed, not legislators’ intent or the consequences of the decision.”

He honorably supports our Law Enforcement 110%. That is a huge plus in my book.

His views on the 2nd Amendment are good. Good for us. While I do hope he becomes a bit more lionlike as Scalia was in defending the 2nd.

“The Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to own firearms and may not be infringed lightly.” Gorsuch (He could have left off lightly.)
“There is ‘a long tradition of widespread gun ownership by private individuals in this country.” Gorsuch
“Gun possession is often lawful and sometimes even protected as a matter of constitutional right.” Gorsuch
“There is ‘a long tradition of widespread gun ownership by private individuals in this country.” Gorsuch

Gorsuch Has Supported the Second Amendment in Legal Opinions. The NRA is excited that he is Trumps choice.

·
Super Moderator
17,991 Posts
Now it's just a matter of whether he can get 60 votes or not. They need 8 Democrats to vote for him.
I am hoping they use the nuclear option harry reid forced down our throats for other appointments, majority vote rather than 60 votes.

·
Super Moderator
17,991 Posts
If Hillary had won, it would have been best if they could have immediately confirmed Garland, and not given her the chance (at least not to replace Scalia... Ginsberg may retire soon too).
She has threatened to resign if Trump was elected, now if she will only to follow through with the threat.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts