Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i am preaching to the choir when i say we need to up our game in the survival arena . Weather it is a man made issue or something like the Covid-19 health pandemic . I know i have been adding food to our pantry and ammo is good , i need to get more cash at my fingers tips .

It has been a strange time in the last few months and i don't know what the next few months hold , not even sure if this is all done on purpose or just because we were due . Timing seems a bit off if you ask me .
But my main question what are you getting more of ??? What is important to you as a must . ?

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Keeping the pantry stocked up with simple to make canned foods.
I have started buying more bottled water.
I have a stockpile of silver dollars for end of times money hidden in the house.
Probably should keep more greenbacks in the house in case banks close up.
The only thing I can't stock up on that I may need badly is gasoline.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I put 4 large "Hurricane Tubs" together after Harvey. I have a giant checklist of "things" that we needed and I keep a computer inventory of all the items in those tubs. I go over that and the master lists I put together back then and make sure nothing needs to be added, so we're pretty much covered for all the things we might need.

Defensively, we're okay too, as I again made a list of where I felt we were short after Harvey and our little "island" adventure. I've added everything I felt we were lacking or weak in, so that is good to go.

We try to keep all prescription medications at a good level (90 days), but of course that is dependent on when in the cycle a disaster strikes. We cannot keep anything additional on hand due to refill limitations, so there is that. We have reworked our med kit and have it back up to snuff. We added a large trauma kit from Doom and Bloom.

We sort of keep a stockpile of food as a matter of course and rotate it all the time. Some items have been hard to find as of late, but we can make do. We have gas cooking stoves, utensils, a large solar array and other stuff.

I suppose we're okay as far as we can anticipate. Our plan is to bug in unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
We had a full pantry and a 90 day emergency supply of food and all other essentials at the start of the pandemic. We never let it get seriously depleted but have now been stocking up on whatever we find available as we believe that things continue to be very uncertain right up until the election. I have also bought some shotgun ammo and revolver ammo since I don't reload those. Plenty of 9mm, 5.56, and .308 on hand. And if Trump wins again, all bets are off.

·
Premium Member
8,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will more then likely come to my place of business , where i have welding machines for generators and a 5,000 gallon diesel tank for fuel . I have lots of 5 gallon bottles of water as well as cases of water .
I have my motor home here to sleep in and under cover (Quonset Hut) so i would have to bring more food from home to up my game here , plus i would have to bring my firearms here as well . Food & Meds are the biggest things for my family .

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Mostly concentrating on acquiring more skills, (as always), but some new gear.

Two years ago I added bi-monthly combatives and edged weapons classes.
I train handgun, carbine, SG and tactics, averaging a dozen courses per season for the past 5 years, assist instruct/SME on occasion.
I’ve dropped 85#’s over the past two years, exercise regularly and although cut down portions, I still eat dirty.

Stocked ammo/mags/spare parts, some food, water purification and medical gear. Besides fighting courses, I attended classes in tracking, bushcraft/survival, medical, stop the bleed.

Most importantly I’ve built a network of people I can count on, we train together, plan, and have property elsewhere if current location deteriorates. The inner circle is fully capable of being a fighting unit with very high skill sets and contacts from federal level down to state and local.

Even in these crazy times I’m good.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just plan on putting up a two month supply of dog food for the Hurricane Hounds. Sure, I have live and kill traps that would, in a real pinch, be set out in the huge park behind Casa Mac in a real emergency to supplement the puppers dry stuff, but since trapping inside the city is illegal, and in the state is illegal without a trappers license, well, the idea of practicing to see what is out there is not an option. I do know that there are a plethora of armadillos (If you saw my humor post) and raccoons, squirrels....birds.....but yeah.

All of the rest I am good for saving someone dropping the big one on downtown Austin or the old Bergstrom AFB, in which case it would just pretty much be flash, what the HECK was that......gone.... :oops:

·
Premium Member
8,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can we ever plan for every situation , I believe Matthew3 has one of the important things covered and tight crew of like minded people . I don't think folks with families (kids will fair well long term without a network .

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
This is the kind of conversations people had in the 50s with regard to bomb shelters and that sort of thing - it's disturbing to see that we are back to that.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Its hurricane season on the gulf coast so I'm stocked for a hurricane. Anything over two weeks and I'm going pillaging.
I live in an area that has seen zero trouble from the protesters and am 99.99999% sure it will stay that way so I'm thinking hurricane or 14 day quarantine not much else. I'm guessing some of y'all have other concerns.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Honestly, the US may be perceived by our enemies as being weak and distracted due to all the current turmoil. Internal attacks against power grids, nuclear plants, etc., could be seized upon to further destabilize the country.

It's as good a time as any to ensure you have potassium iodide tablets if you live in a possible radiation fallout zone from a nuke plant meltdown. Have rolls of plastic sheeting and duct tape to secure your home. Review how to devise an expedient fallout shelter, and be ready to use it for a couple weeks. Have water, food, medical supplies, etc., suitable to dig in tight for a few weeks at least.

Get to know your neighbors and be ready to start a neighborhood anti-looter defense system.

And so on for other possible SHTF prep.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Watching lots of prepper YouTube videos, one that really struck a cord was a woman that stated:

”Grow food from your kitchen garbage” ...or something to that line of thinking. She got my attention, had no idea that you could grow a bunch of celery with just the bottom. Below is pictured about an inch grown in just less than a week! The potato is ready to cut and put into a pot to grow. [container gardening due to lots of chemicals in the ground where the skeeters breed].

The colloidal silver is what we are using every 2-3 days to keep lung infection at bay as is the Grapefruit seed extract as a natural antibiotic. So far we have stayed healthy as possible.

56AA23D1-1B2B-45C5-A575-C773BA957A3B.jpeg

·
Administrator
143,468 Posts
Saw that you had Rose Of Sharon flowers. I saw a video last week where a woman was dehydrating the flowers. They are reportedly edible, good for digestion & Vitamin C - etc.
Please do your own homework though...I don't want folks eating plant parts that I'm not absolutely first hand knowledgeable about.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Cash? Some stores are requesting cashless sales. Some of that is because there suddenly seems to be a coin shortage.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I don't know boys and girls there comes a point where if your spending so much time, money and energy planning for some apocalyptic lifestyle its just not worth it to me.

Hiding out and shooting your neighbors over bottled water or rifle ammo? I would pretty much be ready to be taken home at that point.
I am 62 and have lived a great life to date and have sons and grand kids who can fight that fight.

I mean we have extra supplies and water and ammo for some short lived uprising or natural disaster but, I have no plans to go all "Mad Max" with my life.

I am going camping and fishing and hunting when I retire in 5 weeks and not prepping for some great conflict. I refuse to spend my earned retirement in some gun centric rat race for gear and training and living in fear because I watch to much news on TV.

I may be killed while fly fishing with a model 10 on my belt by some crazed lunatic looking for a hideout for his "gang" but, so be it. We all go sometime.
I think the prepper fantasies go too far, at least for me and my house.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Cash? Some stores are requesting cashless sales. Some of that is because there suddenly seems to be a coin shortage.
More so because it reduces the chance of Corona, less things to handle between people. Havent heard we were running low on coins.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Sorry that people are having problems or feel like they are going to have problems. We have only had a few shortages that were easily worked around. We stocked up some on food, some camping cooking gear, household supplies and ammo. I'm going to do water and gasoline storage this week.

But honestly, not much has happened here and I don't expect it to. I know people will say, "What if, what if," and "Well, you just wait until..." but I have lived through 60+ years of doomsday predictions and I'm just not seeing it this time around where I live. We have a very good police department, managed by a Republican board of supervisors, Republican prosecutor and lots of gun owners and veterans. Our area would constitute "poor victim selection."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts