Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 45C which, even with an Apex trigger, I've never really warmed up to. I've also not been as accurate with it as I have with other guns. I also have a Glock 19 and a Glock 27, both of which I really like. I probably shoot the 27 the best.
Anyway, I'm looking at a Glock 30 which is reasonably priced at a local range. I expect it to shoot like my other Glock's but have a little less of the "muzzle flip" type recoil than my 27.
Anyone have anything to add about this model? I've read a lot of reviews and have yet to read anything bad about the gun. Of course, I never read anything bad about the 45C either; I just didn't like it, mainly because of that gritty trigger.
Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I carry a Glock 30SF every day. As far as .45s go, you will hear around the internet (and I agree) that the Glock 30 is one of the softest shooting .45s around. I've never shot the M&P, but I really do like my little Glock. I want to switch to a revolver, but if I was going to stay with SAs it would be my 30SF all the way. I like the SF, just fits my hand better.

The Glock 30SF is my goldilocks gun, it's not too small, definitely not too big, and the .45 cartridge is not too much, not too little, so platform and cartridge are just right for me.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
You can't go wrong either way if you decide to swap or not. If I'm not mistaken Glocks are a little more expensive than M&Ps so a one-on-one swap would be in your favor. Since you're familiar with Glocks maybe that would be a good choice. I don't know if the grip would be any different between the G27 & 30 & to me at least M&P grips are superior to the G 23 & 21. Maybe you could make a provisional "try it first" swap & if you feel you're more comfortable with the M&P after all you could get it back within a period of time.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
from the sounds of it. you have no fondness for the M&P...so trade it out for something else. You wont miss it when it is gone , and the glock is a great little gun.

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I carry a Glock 30SF every day. As far as .45s go, you will hear around the internet (and I agree) that the Glock 30 is one of the softest shooting .45s around. I've never shot the M&P, but I really do like my little Glock. I want to switch to a revolver, but if I was going to stay with SAs it would be my 30SF all the way. I like the SF, just fits my hand better.

The Glock 30SF is my goldilocks gun, it's not too small, definitely not too big, and the .45 cartridge is not too much, not too little, so platform and cartridge are just right for me.
Agreed....the G30 is a superb carry gun and one of the most accurate in the Glock line up despite its size.

·
Registered
46,054 Posts
I handled both the M&P and Glock before deciding on the G30. While the M&P may point more naturally than the Glock (as do all S&Ws for me), I don't shoot any better or worse because of it. The trigger reach is a tad long for my hands, and the G30SF didn't seem any better, to me. I'd suggest trying both as it may make a difference to you.

I swapped out the Slide Stop with the extended version and applied orange paint to the sights to assist these old eyes, but otherwise the guts are stock and I've been very happy with its performance. There's not much sense hanging on to a pistol you don't like. Get one you do and don't look back.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've fired 1 round from a GLOCK 30...I want it! It is basically the same size as a GLOCK 19 except a little thicker, less capacity, bigger bullet.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I like the M&P grip, too. Maybe that's the reason I bought it. I wanted to see if there were any negatives with the 30; apparently not:). Sounds like I'd like it as well as my other Glock's. I think my decision is made.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a chance to shoot the Glock 30 today. It's a nice gun, but I didn't love it. I liked it okay, just didn't love it. So for the time being, I'll hang onto the M&P 45 C. I have fairly small hands, and that 30 seemed like a fat little gun. Maybe I'll appreciate the 45 C's grip a little more, and forgive the trigger.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
I had a chance to shoot the Glock 30 today. It's a nice gun, but I didn't love it. I liked it okay, just didn't love it. So for the time being, I'll hang onto the M&P 45 C. I have fairly small hands, and that 30 seemed like a fat little gun. Maybe I'll appreciate the 45 C's grip a little more, and forgive the trigger.
Look for the 30sf. That will solve your grip issues. The 30 is one solid piece. You'd do good going to it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i strongly believe that the 45c M&P is their best gun..................that being said........i love it.........................but i assure you...the glock 30sf or 30...is a softer shooting gun......now if u have tiny hands the 45c is what u need.....if i could choose only 2 compact polymer 45 guns...id own both.......but heres the deal........glock mags are cheaper....glock has more aftermarket parts...easier to find as well......and if the shtf.......i will always have a glock....i love the 45c its effin great.........finish isnt as good and 8 rounds sux........compared to glock and its just a matter of ford chevy dodge........but if u want a 45 compact either is supurb.............the ergos on the M&p rule...but i traded my 45c....because i felt the availabiltity on the glock was so easy to deal with........if u have deep pockets have them both.....the 45c M&p is AWWWWWWWWWWWESOME..........BUT THE GLOCK 30...GLOCK 30SF....GLOCK 30S......................IS TTTTOOOOOAAALLLYYYYY AWSOME....THE m&p 45C IS SO GOOD......but if u buy a gun and have to revamp the trigger with apex this and apex that what the hell......my glock has a great trigger with a great reset...and if i wanted to change the trigger pull its a joke compared to paying 100 dollars for this and 75 dollars for that...............now 2 more rounds u say.....well yes ..2 more makes me happy and i dont have to ever worry about trigger issues caause my glock 30sf is a baby girl with a smooth skin......i dont have the cheese to put into a M&p......trigger issue.............but like i said the M&P line of guns is UNREAL GOOD....AWESOME SWEET........JUST depends on your pockets and wants......the 2 best plastic guns in the world.....XD whatever i dont like em or ever want one.................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Exactly which Apex trigger parts did you install? Meaning, did you just install just the springs, the DCAEK and/or the AEK trigger?

Trigger:
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid60.html

DCAEK:
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid16.html

Spring kit:
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid26.html

Maybe this was the one to get:
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid54.html
Well, it's probably the one that I would get since I am a 1911 aficionado.

------------------------------------------------

but if u buy a gun and have to revamp the trigger with apex this and apex that what the hell......my glock has a great trigger with a great reset...and if i wanted to change the trigger pull its a joke compared to paying 100 dollars for this and 75 dollars for that...............
Greg,

The Glock kits are even more. Lots of owners start with the Ghost dis-connector, the NYC blue spring and a large frame Glock non-serrated trigger when they don't want to spend the big bucks on a complete Glock trigger kit, which typically goes for around $150. And let's not forget all the Gen4 owners who went and bought the solid steel extractor blocks and ejectors to try to get rid of the BTFs (Brass To Face) and the recoil springs & guides which went through a few iterations.

The TRAVIS HALEY "SKIMMER" Enhanced Carry Trigger System - GlockTriggers.com
Glock Warehouse - Products - Trigger Gear
Carry Kits
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid67.html
New 30274 Ejector!

Yes, out of the box many like the Glock trigger. Yes, the S&W supposedly made changes to the trigger to give it more tactile feedback. But if I bought a Glock I know for a fact that I'd be changing a few parts, starting with installing a smooth faced trigger. Same would apply to the S&W; (except that it would cost me $165 instead of about $40. But $400+$165=$565. A $550 Glock and $40 in parts is still more.)

If the S&W costs $400 and I put $150 into it, how is that worse than buying a $550 Glock and putting parts into it? Yes, if the Glock or S&W are bought new then there shouldn't be too much need. But if you buy a used one you may have to upgrade some parts. For example, go to any show and you'll find many Gen4s without the latest beaver tail. Why buy a G4 and then have to jerri-rig a beaver tail when the ones that now come on the G4s are much better looking?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Exactly which Apex trigger parts did you install? Meaning, did you just install just the springs, the DCAEK and/or the AEK trigger?

Trigger:
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid60.html

DCAEK:
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid16.html

Spring kit:
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid26.html

Maybe this was the one to get:
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid54.html
Well, it's probably the one that I would get since I am a 1911 aficionado.

------------------------------------------------

Greg,

The Glock kits are even more. Lots of owners start with the Ghost dis-connector, the NYC blue spring and a large frame Glock non-serrated trigger when they don't want to spend the big bucks on a complete Glock trigger kit, which typically goes for around $150. And let's not forget all the Gen4 owners who went and bought the solid steel extractor blocks and ejectors to try to get rid of the BTFs (Brass To Face) and the recoil springs & guides which went through a few iterations.

The TRAVIS HALEY "SKIMMER" Enhanced Carry Trigger System - GlockTriggers.com
Glock Warehouse - Products - Trigger Gear
Carry Kits
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid67.html
New 30274 Ejector!

Yes, out of the box many like the Glock trigger. Yes, the S&W supposedly made changes to the trigger to give it more tactile feedback. But if I bought a Glock I know for a fact that I'd be changing a few parts, starting with installing a smooth faced trigger. Same would apply to the S&W; (except that it would cost me $165 instead of about $40. But $400+$165=$565. A $550 Glock and $40 in parts is still more.)

If the S&W costs $400 and I put $150 into it, how is that worse than buying a $550 Glock and putting parts into it? Yes, if the Glock or S&W are bought new then there shouldn't be too much need. But if you buy a used one you may have to upgrade some parts. For example, go to any show and you'll find many Gen4s without the latest beaver tail. Why buy a G4 and then have to jerri-rig a beaver tail when the ones that now come on the G4s are much better looking?

well u make a good point....but i never saw a brand new M&P for 400 dollars.......and the smooth face trigger for a glock is 15 dollars at glockmeister....and all new gen 4 come with a (dot) connector and they fixed the btf issue..most gen 4 glocks after sep of 2010 have been fixed and if they werent glock will send u a new recoil updated spring for free...and a new ejector........i personally only own gen3 glocks.....a ghost connector or lone wolf is 15 dollars...springs around 8 dollars.....etc.....so yes if u are inclined to play around with a glocks trigger it would run u around 40 bux........but i know my stock triggers are suited enough after a few hundred rounds through them.....i wouldnt want anything lighter for conceiled carry anyways........but i understand your logic if u can buy a new M&P 45c for 400 dollars then WOWOWOW......id buy 2 of em........yes smith supposedly updated the triggers around 2012 and changed the boxes to blue from black.......but i know from owning a few that they never did break or reset like my glock do...........i love M&P...especially the 9c or 45c.......but the glocks finish and capacity is superior.....the glock 21 comes with smooth faced from the factory as well..........400 M&P i want one...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
...but i understand your logic if u can buy a new M&P 45c for 400 dollars then WOWOWOW...
I see your point. I just checked some prices on the 45c and they all hover around $500. I guess I passed a deal at the last gun show. One vendor had one for $389.

Skidboot, I'd install the one piece trigger before I gave up on it. M&P APEX Trigger install results over stock - YouTube But only after:

... the 45C either; I just didn't like it, mainly because of that gritty trigger.
M&P Pistol Gritty Trigger Pull -- Striker Blocker Fix - YouTube Having to remove the sight to get to the slide internals is the reason why I don't like the M&P. Well, that and seeing plastic parts in the slide internals (striker assembly).

Definitely read the thread where the S&W slide was cracked when the sight was being removed by one member.

While I wish I could afford Smith Little Torch Outfits & Accessories I'd probably try a pencil or mini torch, Hand Torches for All Uses: Plumbing, DIY, Electrician, Arts & Crafts by BernzOmatic

Having said that, though, if the Glock fits your hand fine then it's worth doing. But if the Glock doesn't fit your hand as well as the M&P then go through the trouble of fixing the M&P.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.