Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a Gen 4 Glock 23 .40 cal next week.. Trading a practically new Savage bolt .223 and $50 for it.. I have fired this gun at the range , and actually didn't like it much.. it felt big and blocky to me, and for my taste had a hell of a recoil. However, I will never use that savage, and only bought it because for a while after the SAFE ACT, I could not buy Ruger Ranch Rifle in NY State, and I wanted a .223 . When ruger started shipping them with 5 rd mags, I was able to buy one somehow.

I only want the Glock because they are very popular, and I was thinking it would be more attractive as a trade at a gun dealer.. I have a lot of 9mm ammo for the 2 9mm guns I own an S&W Shield, and a Marlin 9mm Carbine. I was hoping to find a decent used very compact 9mm and swap as close to even as possible.. Is there any chance of that?.. do dealers usually jump at Glocks because they are easy to sell?.. I have only traded in one gun to a dealer a Ruger LCR .22 LR snub . That gun sells close to $500 in some places, and only had a couple hundred rounds through it, it was like new, and I was lucky to get $175 on trade.. Most places I went to wanted no part of it at all, and would not even take it in on trade!.. Just wondering if I will have better luck trading in a Glock.. I could trade in the Savage, but that gun is MAYBE $300 new, usually less, and they probably offer $100 or less, IF they take it in at all.
If anyone has ever traded in a Glock at some time, I would appreciate your insight... bob

·
Banned
318 Posts
Why not just sell the rifle yourself. Or if you can't ask if the dealer takes consignment sales. They get a percentage of your sale, you set the price and it costs the dealer nothing but a little space.

Never trade in a gun because you will always lose. Remember a dealer pays a wholesale price for a gun, so your trade will be lower than that.

I just sold a gun today using Armslist. Since I have crazy laws like you in NY I just do a transfer at the dealer, costs $25. The buyer just pays me cash and the dealer does all the paper work. If you had patience I bet you could get almost what you paid for the rifle.

Nothing wrong with buying something with good resale value, like the Glock. Just sell it yourself.

·
Registered
383 Posts
.40 is becoming very slow seller at all of our LGS. 9mm seems be the ticket now that the FBI is back to 9mm. Glock 19 Gen 4 would be a better choice than the G 23 for your purpose. Gun shops need to sell at retail and buy at wholesale or they could not stay in business. They make most of their profit margins off used guns.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never trade anything at an LGS. They'll give you half of what it will sell for, at best.
Understood, just don't really know how to go about privately selling a gun really.. Just box it like anything else one would sell online and send it to the FFL of the buyer after payment ???.... bob

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.40 is becoming very slow seller at all of our LGS. 9mm seems be the ticket now that the FBI is back to 9mm. Glock 19 Gen 4 would be a better choice than the G 23 for your purpose. Gun shops need to sell at retail and buy at wholesale or they could not stay in business. They make most of their profit margins off used guns.
I realize they need to make a profit to keep the doors open... i did not realize that .40 was a sales dog, even with a Glock name on it ... Thats probably why my friend wants the .223 savage cheapo special for a Glock... bob

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I used to think the same about trading but have been able to trade a few ho-hum guns in on some even nicer ones.

The last two went in trade for my Ruger 1911 that some places sell for $800.

I think I did quite good.

As I now have new computer.. because one gunshop gave me twice the price for a beretta
shotgun than the other place offered.

Whether a shop or a gun show.
some guys offer you low-ball pricing for guns they will mark up drastically..
and make you feel like You are cheating them or getting a super good deal.

These guys I stay way from and encourage my friends to do so as well.

In your case some people think .40 is on a big decline..so they might offer far less than
if was a 9mm or .45 pistol.

I tend tend to like the newest and bluest of guns, and I know the 2017 Shot Show
offerings will fuel my fire for tinkering with the new guns for the year.

As I don't trade cars or horses or spend my meager money gambling or
drinking..guns get all of my attention.

I'm sure that I'm not alone with this addiction:)

·
Registered
348 Posts
.40 has not been a popular seller in recent years. There is much more demand for 9mm's as others have said. That's not to say that you can't sell a .40 though. The compact frame of the G19/23 is one of the most popular for all around guns. It would make a great hiking companion. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I realize they need to make a profit to keep the doors open... i did not realize that .40 was a sales dog, even with a Glock name on it ... Thats probably why my friend wants the .223 savage cheapo special for a Glock... bob
Nothing wrong with a .40. I've been shooting one for 20 years now.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I'm no sadist, but have never thought of a .223 bolt action having a harsh recoil. (Try a 7mm mag in an ultra light mountain rifle it brings a new meaning to harsh recoil!) I agree with the others if you are going to trade do it with an individual not a dealer. In my area 9mm will usually fetch $75-$100 more than the same model in .40. .357 Sigs you can't hardly give away. Good luck with your dealing!

·
Registered
270 Posts
If SHTF you'll probably have an easier time getting .40 ammo then 9mm...it might be worth keeping the 23 unless you need the cash. If the 23 is in good shape the gun stores in my area would give me about $300 for it and turn around and sell it for $500..I wouldn't count on getting anything more than $300 on the trade in, you'd be better off selling the 23 or the .223 outright.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Personally I don't mind helping my LGS or any other local store that I like having in my area make a profit. And sometimes it's worth avoiding the inconvenience factor that comes with selling something on the open market. I'm glad they're there and want them to keep their doors open and stay in business. IMHO It's good to spread your money around locally.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Savage bolt gun (that you don't want) + 50 bones for a gen 4 G 23 is a good deal and I'd jump on it before they change their minds.

It might be worth noting that the OP lives in NY state and that may limit how much private dealing he can do.

The 23 can be converted to 9mm with a new barrel (I've seen them for sale around $100) and 9mm mags (you can find those for around $20 each). Glock also recommends swapping the extractor and ejector I believe, but I've done it by just swapping the barrel and mags and it worked just fine.

While you're at it get a .357 Sig barrel. 1 gun, 3 calibers. Whatever there may be a run on due to political bs, you can probably still find ammo.

·
Registered
20,117 Posts
Personally, I find the recoil of the 40 to be very comfortable and reassuring.
OTOH, the 9mm is a very adaquate cartridge, when used with mid to heavy controlled expansion bullets like an XTP or Nosler.

However, I much prefer the G26/27 over the others for CC.

I would sell my rifle to a private buyer, obeying the transfer laws as they apply to your state, and seek out the purchase of a pistol from an individual.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I've been considering a G22 because they've been turning up so cheap lately. I've seen police trade-ins for $289. That said, I'm not really in the market for a full size gun.

That does seem like a good trade for that gun though. If the Glock is new or in nice shape, I'd imagine you could sell it for $350-400.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Since he lives in NY (same as me) He might want to get a Glock 26 as he can only carry 10 rounds so the added size of the G19 isnt necessary

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If SHTF you'll probably have an easier time getting .40 ammo then 9mm...it might be worth keeping the 23 unless you need the cash. If the 23 is in good shape the gun stores in my area would give me about $300 for it and turn around and sell it for $500..I wouldn't count on getting anything more than $300 on the trade in, you'd be better off selling the 23 or the .223 outright.

I have about 800-900 rounds of 9mm, and I can [for the time being anyway], run out and grab another 1000 rounds in minutes.. Money is not a major factor for me. [thank You Lord]..
On Gunbroker a used glock 23 sells at $300-400, plus shipping and FFL fees.
The Savage Axis .223 bolt action with scope sell new these days at $275 at Walmart. I saw them used on Gunbroker with opening bids of $150, and not one bid after week, So I MIGHT get $100 on a good day at a local store, IF they even want it.. too bad, Its an accurate and smooth shooting/operating .223,, Savage are nice guns for a "lower end" rifle..
If I can get $300 in trade for the Glock I would be happy with that,, very happy.. If I can swap it straight across for something I have more use for, that would be ideal.. I don't need any more guns, we have a house full, but I might see some weird old pistol or rifle that I like, but no one else on earth does. A Glock to me, is always

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm no sadist, but have never thought of a .223 bolt action having a harsh recoil. (Try a 7mm mag in an ultra light mountain rifle it brings a new meaning to harsh recoil!) I agree with the others if you are going to trade do it with an individual not a dealer. In my area 9mm will usually fetch $75-$100 more than the same model in .40. .357 Sigs you can't hardly give away. Good luck with your dealing!
I may have confused you with my wording.. The gun I described as "big and blocky feeling with a hell of a recoil", was the Glock.. That cheap Savage is a very accurate and smooth shooting .223.. Shoots much nicer than my Ruger Mini 14 .223... bob

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I may have confused you with my wording.. The gun I described as "big and blocky feeling with a hell of a recoil", was the Glock.. That cheap Savage is a very accurate and smooth shooting .223.. Shoots much nicer than my Ruger Mini 14 .223... bob
My bad, I thought you were referring to the .223! Carry on!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A local FFL told me he generally gives $275 for a Glock 23 IF it has the 3 mags, original case, original grips etc... bob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts