Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a AK47 and a AR15 that are dialed in with good quality scopes. The scopes are mounted with Burris PEPR mounts on a Picatinny rail.

Here's the question. If I take the scope in the Burris PEPR off either rifle to run a Reflex sight for a while, will the scope still be on paper when I remount it? If I torque it down the same will I hit paper at 100 yards. Will it still be right on? Or will I have to start from scratch? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Any time you remove/replace or change optics, there's no guarantee of previous POI=POA alignment. As for 'hitting paper"? That depends more on...the size of the paper. :image035:

Reactions: drift and craze

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
In theory, IF you mount it back in the same slot, and the same way (IE push FWD and right) as you tighten and torque you'll be pretty close to back on.

I use Larue and American defense QD mounts on my ARs (along with 7 other sets of QD mounts on other rifles) and I've had very good luck in either returning to zero, or so close the difference was inconsequential. Again this is one of those "you get what you pay for" deals and good QD mounts run just under a couple hundred dollars. Saturday I was in a carbine class and bouncing between my RDS and 1-4X scope between drills with no loss of their respective zeros. (Larue on the RDS and American Defense "Recon"on the 1-4X)

To test mine I use a Luepold magnetic boresighter with a grid. Once I zero an optic I record the reticle's position on the grid pattern. When reinstalling the optic I refer back to the grid diagram to verify.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I think you'll probably be close enough to where you were at 100 yards that it will only take a couple of moves to get back to zero. You may not be exactly where you were but It shouldn't be like starting from scratch.

Reactions: luckydog

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Agree with Chuck...Larue QD mount is one of the best; mine returns to zero consistently.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I have had my Burris off and back on about four times. Only one time did I not have to adjust the scope after remounting.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Entirely dependent on the quality of your mount. I have a Trijicon 1-4x on my AR with a American Defense Mfg QD mount, and it holds zero. The mount ran around $160.

You get what you pay for. Some mounts will hold zero after being taken on and off endless times, and I've used some mounts that won't hold a zero from one shot to the next.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I've only ever had one rifle where I could take off the scope, then rescope and still be on zero. It was an HK .308, and the mounts were built exactly for that purpose. Otherwise I've had to sight back in.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't mind sighting back in. I just don't want to start from scratch each time. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have yet to find any scope mount, whether quick detach or not to come back to exactly the same previous POA. It's usually pretty similar though. The closest I have come is the Warne QD mounts and those are usually pretty darn close, close enough that if you didn't set your rifle on a rest you probably couldn't tell a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts