Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be the first to admit, even if they are legal I really have no use for them, auto knives are great with the right knife. Also, many people think they are illegal in their state or area, when actually it's only illegal to carry them, collecting them may still be completly legal. As always, I reccommend you check your own laws.
Here is a cool site that sells them to you as a kit, which saves you some money and allows you to collect even when outright carry or purchase through the mail may be illegal.

Some of these are from top rated manufacturers, so dont think everything is going to be $20 from China. Out The Front Switchblade Flick Knife KITS

Personally I want an OTF "ice pick", for um...ice.

Anyway check it out and tell me what you think and your opinion on Switchblades.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I think it's incredibly stupid they are illegal to carry in most places in the USA.

I think we have bigger fights to fight than trying to get them legalized.

I think some of them are very nice.

I think bumping the button and have one spring open in your pocket is no fun, at all. I think if they wee legal to carry a lot of folks would have good scars on their thighs. and the secondary locks that keep them from auto-opening kind of defeat the whole purpose of the thing in the first place. with "spring assist" they have little real value.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
My father loved auto's and I own a couple, as much for nostalgia as anything. I have one I carry fairly regularly - it is legal in GA with a weapon's license (which also covers firearms). It has a safety and I haven't cut myself with it yet.

I see knives the same way I see guns - it isn't up to anyone to tell another person what they can or cannot carry, period.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I love my butterfly knives but carrying them presents a problem in most states.

I like the classic switchblades but see no real practical application. That said, I don't want to be told I CAN'T carry one if the desire arises.
I can deploy my Gerber F.A.S.T. open knife as fast as a switchblade...

·
Super Moderator
16,407 Posts
Having fine motor control problems with my right hand I find the spring assist knives to be very handy for me. They are nice when working outside too, when you have something in one hand and need to cut it you don’t have to drop it so you can use both hands to open your knife. I see no reason that they are banned in many areas, like a gun they are simply another tool.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Knife laws are really a ridiculous patchwork of nonsense. The Kershaw I'm carrying now is perfectly legal, as long as I don't walk into a public park in St. Paul, where (I believe) it's 1/2" too long. Meanwhile a guy who walks into that park and picks up a fallen branch is arguably better-armed than I would be. Pure stupid.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just never understood this. Someone can carry and deploy pretty much any knife just as easily. Butterfly knives are actually slower to deploy than many knives if you think about it. Sure someone who has spent a lot time practicing can do it pretty quick. The only reason for any of these laws it fear. They seem or look scary to people and they think they have to be banned to protect everybody. Just like guns they think that if there is law criminals will obey it. Well guess what criminals don't care about laws. Average Joe walking down the street with a switchblade is not a threat to anyone.

I personally don't consider carry a knife and having a weapon. I use my knife almost every day and never once has it been to stab anyone. It is a tool. I am not trained in the use of a knife for defense and I don't expect o be able to effectively use one for defense. I still carry one (2 actually) every day because they are dang handy to have when you need them. So what if I have to flip my wrist around in a fancy ninja move to open it or just hit a button. It is nice to be able to open a knife easily one handed when you are holding something that you need to use it on.

I don't have much experience with OTF knives but I do like them. I think some of them do have built int protection so you cant stab yourself in the leg if it is released in your pocket. ;)

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
No interest in carrying an auto in any configuration, let alone a folder. My preference is a straight blade no less than 9.5"

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I have some auto opener knives. I don't carry them. I prefer something along the lines of Griptilian or an assisted opener.

With an auto opener you have to remove the safety, the press the button. With a Griptilian or Endura you just flick the blade open. Seems less cumbersome to me. Plus you don't have to worry about knife laws in different towns and states.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
What's considered a switchblade here I do not like them as I like just plain folder.I 've carried knives all my life.
To each his own,I say.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Never been an OTF fan but I've never owned a quality one. I do like the ProTech autos I have though. They've only been legal for carry here in TN since last July.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you be more specific? Im not reading all of that just for the sake of it.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
They are now legal in Indiana .............and I could care less.

My folders are all spring assist flippers and have been for the last decade .
I am just not interested in an auto especially an OTF .Just by virtue of design an OTF seems like it would be less sturdy than all fixed blades and most folders.

·
Banned
1,066 Posts
I have a few, but since they're illegal to carry in Michigan, they stay in the safe. My assisted openers get ready for work plenty quick enough for me. Besides, if you need a one any quicker, a fixed blade is the ticket.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You have not been around long enough to trot out a label like that and stick it on this group.
Wait-wait. First off, I agree if he's talking to me or one of you guys, that's what I thought at first too. I'm going to let Jim respond to my last post first, because what I think he meant was: "Off Topic" meaning his own comment. Then I think he meant, "what a rude website" (the link I posted). "His terms and conditions" (again, the website I posted).

I could be wrong, but I'm trying to give him the BOTD, until he responds. Otherwise CIB, you would be correct.:danceban:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts