Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Wait-wait. First off, I agree if he's talking to me or one of you guys, that's what I thought at first too. I'm going to let Jim respond to my last post first, because what I think he meant was: "Off Topic" meaning his own comment. Then I think he meant, "what a rude website" (the link I posted). "His terms and conditions" (again, the website I posted).

I could be wrong, but I'm trying to give him the BOTD, until he responds. Otherwise CIB, you would be correct.:danceban:
Sure no problem.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Wait-wait. First off, I agree if he's talking to me or one of you guys, that's what I thought at first too. I'm going to let Jim respond to my last post first, because what I think he meant was: "Off Topic" meaning his own comment. Then I think he meant, "what a rude website" (the link I posted). "His terms and conditions" (again, the website I posted).

I could be wrong, but I'm trying to give him the BOTD, until he responds. Otherwise CIB, you would be correct.:danceban:
I think you might be right Wasp at the end of the T&C the sight owner or whatever you call him/her goes off on a rant.

Looks like I owe Jim an apology.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Jim was a typo, I think it's Mrtimm, I think it would behoove him to be more clear in the future, but I digress.

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
I bought one the first time I moved to a State where they were legal. Never bought another. Spring assisted knives are much better and require only one hand too. My switchblade swings out with a lot of force and half the time I cannot naturally find the button. I had to put some skate board tape on it so I could feel it.

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
I prefer an assisted opening knife even if an auto knife were legal here.

It still works one-handed and it's still fast. SOG makes some of the best.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Ohio is one of those states that have ridiculously vague state laws regarding carrying knives. It's all left to interpretation, but the prevailing "wisdom" is that ballistic knives, swords, daggers or push blades are illegal to carry but any single edged fixed blade can be carried openly, any sized "pocket knife" can be carried concealed. Assisted openers are OK but automatics fall into the "Any Deadly Weapon Other Than a Hand Gun" definition which is expressly forbidden to be carried, even with a CCW. Add to that the fact that knife laws do not enjoy state preemption so every municipality can dictate blade length, style or complete bans and you have a quagmire of legal slime to navigate daily.

Automatic knives have one very large advantage over any other pocket knife. They're COOL! That's it. They have been vilified by Hollywood and the idiot politicos because SWITCHBLADE!!!!! Only gangs use them! West Side Story and Rebel without a Cause among many others made them appear to be the weapon of choice for the undesirables. Though they almost always had European stilettos with their long weak blades.

I could be wrong on the exact details but I think that The Schrade Tool Company made the first commercially available automatic folders for sailors who needed a knife they could open with one hand but could not carry anything on their belts for fear of getting tangled in the intricate rigging that they worked on high above the decks. They were and are a tool with a specific purpose in mind that can be used for many other tasks.

My "Waved" folders are faster than my assisted or automatic knives. As AZQkr implied, almost any fixed blade is stronger than any folder and usually faster to deploy. But Automatics are COOL! OTF knives are the coolest while simultaneously being the most useless, weakest designs. I have several, 'cause they're COOL!

My OTFs are cheapo junk for the above stated reasons, but I have a few high quality automatic folders.

The RAT Worx, MRX is a robust folder with a unique opening system that promises a long, long life of utility. Oh, yeah. It's freaking COOL!

The Kershaw, Launch 2 is a very sleek, light weight and lightning fast opening knife that has beautiful lines and is extremely sharp OTB. A 'Gentleman's Knife" one might say. Did I mention that it's COOL!

One of these was several hundred dollars and the other was well under a C-note. Both, IMHO are a good value.

YMMV

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Off topic, what a rude website. Read his terms and conditions....
You have not been around long enough to trot out a label like that and stick it on this group.
yeah, holy cow, mrtimm was definitely talking about the "terms and conditions" on the website in questions selling switchblade kits. It's been a while since I have seen that poisonous of a business owner spew his filth all over a web page, jesus, does he want anyone to buy anything? I guess the fact 99.9% of his customers won't even glance at that page is what keeps him alive, because i darn sure won't buy anything from him no matter how much i want it, and i am half tempted to send him a nasty-gram message just because, I'm going to quote it, hoping the site will delete his colorful language so we all enjoy this guys eloquence....

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
"Microtech Parts:

Microtech is a pain in the ass for screws and driver bits, so there is no exchanges on them, you just have to deal with it and fight your way to getting things solved. If you don't like that then you will have to deal with the company direct and wait 9 months and deal with the ******** you have to go through. Microtech puts retarded screws in things because they view the customer as idiots. Customers used to remove things and screw their knives up and then blame Microtech for the destruction of the knife and tried to get them to fix it, this is an ******* move but is what is expected from jerk customers and is why they put stupid screws in knives now. You morons think it is stylish but that is so far from the truth. I also agree with Tony at Microtech 98% of people are idiots and ******** however the 2% of us that are not this way do deserve the right to attempt to fix things ourselves, and we damn well no that we screwed it up and won't blame anyone other than ourselves for things. So that said, you best measure the damn screws make sure you buy the correct bit to remove the retard screws and on occasion Tony likes to change things around so you could get different screws on the same knife, ******** I agree with you but that is life, punish everyone because of the idiot. Sometimes screw thread size changes even on the same model, so be prepaired for ******** all around, you should already know this since you were insane enough to buy a Microtech then you knew exactly the nonsense you were getting into with Warranty **** which is pointless and the frustration to fixing it. Parts are listed because I enjoy the 2% and if you are not in the 2% group then don't buy things. If things don't work this is not my fault that means Microtech changed **** around again or you got some strange mix and you not me will have to figure it out. You can tell me what parts don't fit or work so we can trouble shoot the **** you got but no name calling and no returns on the stuff you ordered because the parts are not expensive and making $2 to hear your ******** is not my idea of fun. So if you don't like that then send it in to be fixed to the factory. I am sorry for the ******** Microtech does to the military customers, I do find this disgraceful and dishonorable to you. So again, no blame on Microtech parts, I expect you all to behave yourselves."

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
This is even BETTER, he manages to insult the entire American Culture, way to go, BRO!! :mad:

"Email Mind Reader Warning

I do not know who you are by you simply emailing me.
Please explain to me how the hell I am suppose to figure out who you are by you just writing an email to me without any information?
I am not an email mind reader.
If you want me to help you with your order then tell me who the hell you are, that means you have a name so use it or tell me the order number.
This is a business and names and order numbers and the website you ordered from are required to identify you so you can get help.
I seriously can’t believe that people just assume that I know who you are by your email address, it makes no sense to me at all but hey the world has completely gone mad anyway.
I know you are American because other people in the world do not behave this way, so I can figure out it is someone in the USA, this makes me even more angry that it is only us that behave this way in life, so please the do world a favor and stop acting this way.
We can have a better country, it starts with the small things, if you can't do this then think about how hopeless we are with politics, health care, or food because you don't even have the notion to simply ask with your name and order number on things you order. So yes, this is a rebuke to you to stop your childish ********.
Now you can return an email with the correct info and I will be happy to help you."

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
He needs to take his meds.

That's almost as good as Ed Roman's rants on his guitar store website. RIP Ed.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Dingbat:
Then there's his return policy at the bottom. The worst part is somewhere in there he says "we are serious about business", but really, even though he's a total jerk, I sense he is trying to be a little silly or funny, kinda cocky, yet serious at the same time. Even if you believe all of that there are professional ways of going about it. I think he believes...or knows that most people don't read the "fine print", and he plans to get a kick out of waiting until someone calls with a complaint and refer them to how much of a jerk he is.

Sorry guys, I thought it was a decent site and was just passing it along. What's funny is how much negative press he called upon himself by doing that, he might have even made some sales by my posting it here. Oh well.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,461 Posts
Assisted-open and auto-open knives are legal for carry in Oregon, as long as they are not concealed. The problem is there is no definition of concealed. Are they legal if carried in a sheath on your belt? Are they legal if the clip is showing on your pocket? Does the entire knife have to be visible? When I cross the bridge into Washington State, they are illegal to carry. I have some that stay in a drawer at home since I an not sure how I can carry them legally. I carry a pocket BUG instead.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
There's NO folding knife (switchblade, automatic or assisted-opening) that's faster into the fight than a fixed-blade. So, even though they're perfectly legal in The Bluegrass to CCL holders, I'm not EDCing one. When, on rare occasion, I do find a folder more convenient, it will feature an "Emerson Wave". Legal (most?) everywhere and fast as a blink.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Cool, fun and ...illegal? Sounds like laws concerning weed. :biggrin2:

Reactions: DingBat

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
AZ any knifes are legal ...No joke OC or CCW it dont dont matter if it is a dagger a dirk or a auto knife

I often have a Gerber auto tanto on me .. Easy to open one handed and most of mine are made with saftyies and large winter buttons so easy to get out ..Sure I will admet that I can get a syperco open nearly as fast .. But I like auto for the added cool factor ..Plus most are made in the USA due to the laws about them so thats is nice .. All but one of mine are made int he good old USA

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Sometimes the cool-coefficient, IMHO, is worth...a BUNCH!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I swear, if they ever take my gun and knife rights away...and I take them seriously, I may move to the mountains and become a liberal myself. It must feel really good to strip everyone of what it means to be free yet still do whatever it is you want too at the same time. Ahhh the new America.

·
Banned
176 Posts
I'm a fists or bullets kind of guy ( I guess, never having used bullets so far). Never bring a knife to a gunfight. A knife takes up about the same space as a spare magazine. I keep a razor blade in every pocket of every jacket I own, usually have one under the sole pad of my shoes also. Not quick, but there as a last resort.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts