Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Remember the 2nd wasn't just about guns Knife owners have less right than gun people. It says Arms not just rifle or handguns .

Never bring a knife to a gunfight.

That is and always be a stupid statement . If you in a disagreement and guy is close. He will have you on blade be for you can reach gun. It you close enough to use you fist You close enough to get sliced and diced.

Even the 21 foot rule allows you might shoot him be his forward speed will likely get a piece of you.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Remember the 2nd wasn't just about guns Knife owners have less right than gun people. It says Arms not just rifle or handguns .

That is and always be a stupid statement . If you in a disagreement and guy is close. He will have you on blade be for you can reach gun. It you close enough to use you fist You close enough to get sliced and diced.

Even the 21 foot rule allows you might shoot him be his forward speed will likely get a piece of you.

Man that's some scary reality. I've seen a different version of that but all of the facts are the same!

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have not been interested in switchblades since I was a teen. Many Cold Steel knives come with a feature that allows you to open them as you draw them from your pocket. This seems to me to be a very fast way to open the knife and I think it would be almost as fast or even as fast as a switchblade. I like their Rajah III and often carry one.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I think the Piranhas are awesome looking but I'm not going to spend 400 dollars on a knife.
I carry a cheap spring assist ($15), it gets daily use from opening letters to scraping burrs out of conduit.

·
Registered
170 Posts

You cannot just shoot a guy attacking with a knife when he's near you. Parry the knife, shoot the guy. It's not that difficult. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. :smile:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
You cannot just shoot a guy attacking with a knife when he's near you. Parry the knife, shoot the guy. It's not that difficult. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. :smile:
I disprove that in the courses all the time. If your gun isn't already in your hands when the knife presents, you're in a knife fight, not a gun fight. Just because you carry a firearm doesn't make it a gun fight unless you've got time and distance on your side, and I don't know of any instance where a knife was presented at 7 yrds, more like "in your face" distance.

You've mentioned parrying the blade and drawing to fire. If the person knows what they are doing with a blade, your h2h skills of parrying the blade aren't going to affect the desired outcome you're suggesting. Unless you can parry 4 moves a second, you're in deep doo doo. I know very few who would even stand a chance at parrying 4 attacks from different angles in a second. And that's not something anyone will be reliably successful at without years of h2h training.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Never been an OTF fan but I've never owned a quality one. I do like the ProTech autos I have though. They've only been legal for carry here in TN since last July.
Been carrying my Microtech Halo variant for a while now. Glad the TN laws changed recently. The blade length limit of 4" was also done away with if I understand correctly.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Every knife size, shape, type, mechanism is legal in NH :). With that said most people can deploy a thumb stud and assisted knives just as fast as an auto........ NH realizes this and thus there is no reason for them to be illegal. With that said, just because they are auto some reason that makes them $300.00 and up. No thanks!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
So what's the point?.....Hahahahah. I have a SOG twitch II that is spring assist. Albeit a less than 4" blade I often wonder how this knife is legal in MO. Love the knife BTW. Great feel and superior steel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have not been interested in switchblades since I was a teen. Many Cold Steel knives come with a feature that allows you to open them as you draw them from your pocket. This seems to me to be a very fast way to open the knife and I think it would be almost as fast or even as fast as a switchblade. I like their Rajah III and often carry one.
I’ve got a Rajah III also. Love the shape of the blade! I don’t use that Wave opening feature though, as it is hard on the top of trouser pockets!
I only own two pairs of trousers!

98783513-18EF-4A30-A9D8-3B842EEFB9E2.jpeg

Cheers,
Lunger

“Well…..there’s only one fight.”
David L. (Bigfoot) Green
Deputy Sheriff 1976-2010 Ret.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't own a switchblade,but I do own a few spring assisted knives.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You have not been around long enough to trot out a label like that and stick it on this group.
Just re-readying this. I apologize. I wasn't talking about THIS web site. I was referring to the merchant's site.

MrTimm

·
Super Moderator
23,595 Posts
I have two Böker switchblades I picked up in Salzburg.

I would only purchase from a well know manufacturer, to be honest. I am not a fan of parting with my money for any less than a well known product with a stellar reputation. Böker, Spyderco, Benchmade, Bussee, Randall and the like. If I left out someone's favorite maker out of that list, my apologies. The omission was not intentional, only inadvertent.

I carry a switch blade to facilitate many ranch/horse/house tasks one handed. In some cases, freeing up a hand to open a knife could be dangerous. Mine can also be operated when I am wearing leather gloves, another plus.

They are legal here too.

Note this thread is five years old now, so buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I have a small collection of automatic knives that started back in the 80's with an Italian made classic switchblade, followed with a couple of Hubertus lever lock switchblades. For the past several years my son has been giving me Microtech OTF's for Christmas. Last year it was the big Microtech Halo. I never carry any of them, even though it's legal here. My daily carry is an assisted opening Gerber..just an all around good utility knife.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They are perfectly legal in Texas. Just another reason to love this state. I have Kershaw's, Microtech's, Boker's and Hogue's. Both typical side opening and OTF's. If I had to pick one to go into battle with in defense of my life, It would be the Hogue OTF with the Tanto blade. It is one heavy duty knife that I am sure would not let me down. It is my daily carry.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Couple of years ago I noticed that Colorado had removed its restrictions on automatic knives. As long as they meet the general guidelines (max. 3.5" blade) they are treated like any other pocket knife. I caught a great deal on a Boker "magnum" model automatic (3.25" blade) and find it to be a good pocket knife for daily uses.

Then I planned a trip spanning several states, so I researched knife laws along my route. What a mess! State laws, county and municipal ordinances, all over the place! Blade length, concealment, you name it, there are dozens of restrictions and most are backed up by criminal penalties.

All I can say is to be absolutely certain about the laws in every place you intend to visit, and never take anything for granted. What is perfectly legal on one side of the street could be a felony on the other side of the street.

I'm a retired cop with LEOSA-endorsed concealed handgun permit generally honored anywhere in the United States, but that does not apply to my knife! Why invite unwanted attention when you are away from home?

41 - 60 of 63 Posts