Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching the "Age of Samurai: Battle for Japan" Netflix series, which BTW is very good. I was interested to learn that the most powerful daimyo (warlord) in Japan in 1588, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, ordered "sword hunts," where villages were raided to search for swords and other weapons in private hands. People found with prohibited weapons could be executed on the spot. The daimyo of Japan were not above genocide and went after Buddhists and non-mainstream sects of society and literally killed everyone they could find, men women, children and even animals, to eliminate opposition and to create fear in the population.

Sword hunts continued in Japan from time to time, clear up American control of Japan in 1946. Even today, mass manufactured swords cannot be owned in Japan and true Samurai swords, which are very expensive, can only be owned by collectors and martial artists, with a permit.

On a related note: I also ran across the following in the Daily Herald, that was taken from various sources. It is a rough history of gun confiscation in the 20th Century: The claim is made that "Every genocide in modern history has started with a gun registration, followed by confiscation, followed by genocide."
  • 1911: Turkey established gun control. From 1915-1917, 1.5 million Christian Armenians rounded up and exterminated.
  • 1929: The Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929-1953, 20 million dissidents rounded up and murdered.
  • 1935: China established gun control. From 1948-1952, 20 million political dissidents rounded up and exterminated.
  • 1938: Germany established gun control. From 1939-1945, 13 million Jews and others rounded up and exterminated.
  • 1956: Cambodia established gun control. From 1975-1977, 1 million educated people rounded up and exterminated.
  • 1964: Guatemala established gun control. From 1981-1984, 100,000 Mayan Indians rounded up and exterminated.
  • 1970: Uganda established gun control. From 1971-1979, 300,000 Christians rounded up and exterminated.
Of course, something similar occured in Venezuela in 2018. Only the government can own guns. Government murders are now in the tens of thousands, nobody is sure.

·
Registered
42,133 Posts
I have been watching the "Age of Samurai: Battle for Japan" Netflix series, which BTW is very good. I was interested to learn that the most powerful daimyo (warlord) in Japan in 1588, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, ordered "sword hunts," where villages were raided to search for swords and other weapons in private hands. People found with prohibited weapons could be executed on the spot. The daimyo of Japan were not above genocide and went after Buddhists and non-mainstream sects of society and literally killed everyone they could find, men women, children and even animals, to eliminate opposition and to create fear in the population.

Sword hunts continued in Japan from time to time, clear up American control of Japan in 1946. Even today, mass manufactured swords cannot be owned in Japan and true Samurai swords, which are very expensive, can only be owned by collectors and martial artists, with a permit.
And being so "civilized," Japan has a well-documented and well-used suicide forest.

Reactions: Bad Bob and Arejay

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Speaking of "fine Japanese Steel", "I'd sure like to own one of these"! 😁

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I also watched "Age of Samurai". Excellent series.

And some You Tube channel recently listed 20th century gun confiscations across the world and the resulting massacres.

·
Super Moderator
18,181 Posts
Speaking of "fine Japanese Steel", "I'd sure like to own one of these"! 😁

I forget what cooking show I was watching but they were in a Japanese fish market and they showed someone cutting up a huge tuna using a knife like that, amazing how effortless and quick it was.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

On a related note: I also ran across the following in the Daily Herald, that was taken from various sources. It is a rough history of gun confiscation in the 20th Century: The claim is made that "Every genocide in modern history has started with a gun registration, followed by confiscation, followed by genocide."
  • 1911: Turkey established gun control. From 1915-1917, 1.5 million Christian Armenians rounded up and exterminated.
  • 1929: The Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929-1953, 20 million dissidents rounded up and murdered.
  • 1935: China established gun control. From 1948-1952, 20 million political dissidents rounded up and exterminated.
  • 1938: Germany established gun control. From 1939-1945, 13 million Jews and others rounded up and exterminated.
  • 1956: Cambodia established gun control. From 1975-1977, 1 million educated people rounded up and exterminated.
  • 1964: Guatemala established gun control. From 1981-1984, 100,000 Mayan Indians rounded up and exterminated.
  • 1970: Uganda established gun control. From 1971-1979, 300,000 Christians rounded up and exterminated.
Of course, something similar occured in Venezuela in 2018. Only the government can own guns. Government murders are now in the tens of thousands, nobody is sure.
I’ve been watching that as well, very good series. I’m just now to the part where Buddhists were hunted down and killed in mass, including children. Just like current day America, where dissenting opinion isn’t tolerated.

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
I forget what cooking show I was watching but they were in a Japanese fish market and they showed someone cutting up a huge tuna using a knife like that, amazing how effortless and quick it was.
Yes, they can be up to 60" in length! Two show's I watch on PBS Sunday's here*, go there (Tokyo Fish market), which was where I saw them being used. There are supposed to be a lot of u-tub video's out there.

* Trails to Oishii Tokyo - TV | NHK WORLD-JAPAN Live & Programs

·
Super Moderator
18,181 Posts
Yes, they can be up to 60" in length! Two show's I watch on PBS Sunday's here*, go there (Tokyo Fish market), which was where I saw them being used. There are supposed to be a lot of u-tub video's out there.

* Trails to Oishii Tokyo - TV | NHK WORLD-JAPAN Live & Programs

Thanks I have my DVR set to record the series now.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I very much enjoyed the series as well. I've always been interested in samurai. I even took iaido classes for a couple of years. I have a real samurai sword, a metal blunt edge sword called an iaito and several booden practice swords as well. I also did some work on the JO staff in the same class.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Japan was not the only country to try this.
England also did it with Scotland starting with The Disarming Act of 1716 to quell Jacobite uprisings in the Highlands.
1 November 1716. It outlawed anyone in defined parts of Scotland from having "In his or their custody, use, or bear.
Broad Sword, Poignard, Whinger, Durk, Side Pistol, Gun or any other war like weapon unless authorized".
It was not very effective and was not enforced with much vigor which led to further Jacobite uprisings.
In 1725 a new act was passed and was a bit more successful as the British sent additional troops to confiscate weapons.
But most of these were old, ancient weapons.
After the final uprising in 1745 with the defeat of the Highland Clans at Culloden. The final nail in the coffin was the Act Of Proscription in 1746.
It finally crushed the Clan System.
Not only did it outlaw weapons but also outlawed the Clan's and the wearing of the Kilt.
Many Highlander's were sent into indentured servitude to the plantations around the British Empire.
This Proscription lasted many years until the British needed men to fight for the Empire around the world and the fierce Highland Warriors could fit the bill nicely.
England allowed the wearing of the Kilt for men who would enlist and fight in Highland Regiments which were some of the finest the Army had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts