Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new AIWB holster for my Sig P320c or HK VP9. I've narrowed my choices to the Sidecar or SGUSA AIWB + Anyone have either one or have suggestions/recommendations?

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
I don't AIWB directly at 12:00 (Over the boys) I like 1:00-1:30. I am more partial to a single clip. I like the idea of T-Rex WING( claw ) but i also like the breathable backing on the Stealthgear. Tough call, but i am visually more drawn to the Stealth.
(Do they have a 30 day return if not happy?)

Reactions: Irideducs

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't AIWB directly at 12:00 (Over the boys) I like 1:00-1:30. I am more partial to a single clip. I like the idea of T-Rex WING( claw ) but i also like the breathable backing on the Stealthgear. Tough call, but i am visually more drawn to the Stealth.
(Do they have a 30 day return if not happy?)
SG does 30 day returns while T-Rex arms does not refund holsters at all. I also wonder about the clips they use. SG uses 1 clip down the middle while TREX uses 2 to make it more stable. I'm having a tough time making this decision lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the trex is more concealable while the SG is more comfortable. Its more of a trade off than anything, but personally i dont like hybrids for aiwb as they add alot of bulk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
SG does 30 day returns while T-Rex arms does not refund holsters at all. I also wonder about the clips they use. SG uses 1 clip down the middle while TREX uses 2 to make it more stable. I'm having a tough time making this decision lol

The claw is not advised if your waste is 32 or less.. the wedge is better. This is not me talking but advice I got from a AIWB holster maker. just a thought. Stealth Gear looks good but I wonder if having the clip on the non grip side.. Will the gun grip ride down to the belt or stay in place????

Reactions: brokencapslock

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the trex is more concealable while the SG is more comfortable. Its more of a trade off than anything, but personally i dont like hybrids for aiwb as they add alot of bulk.

Really? I'd figure the hybrid was less bulky since the mesh can contour to your body instead of a hard shell that'd rigid

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really? I'd figure the hybrid was less bulky since the mesh can contour to your body instead of a hard shell that'd rigid
Yes and no. Well maybe i should have used the term concealable instead. Well crafted kydex is typically already curved to the shape of a body since its purpose made to be worn in a certain manner (aiwb, 330-400, hip, etc.) Additionally, since kydex is rigid, holsters makers can use the rigidity of the holster to their advantage. This is done in the trex by adding a "wing" on the side where the wing will be to push into the belt. This in turn levers the top of the holster (and therefore the grip of the firearm as well since the firearm is firmly seated inside the holster) further into the body.

Other examples include wedges down at the bottom of a holster like ones ordered from JM custom kydex. These push against the body. Once again, the rigidity of the holster is useful. In this case, the rigidity allows the holster/firearm to be used as a lever with the beltline as a fulcrum to push the other end of the lever (the grip) into the body. This doesnt work as well with fabric since it can simply be pushed around more locally by a wedge or claw.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The trex arms is one of the worst conclealing holsters on the market. I've owned one and it looked like I stuffed a phone book down my pants. It may work for a few people but it's a poor design imo. The clip placement over the mag causes printing.

Don't believe me, just check out this photo from the sidecar clan and count how many guns you can see.
the three guys that look like they have phonebooks stuffed down their pants all use sidecars. It's not just me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The trex arms is one of the worst conclealing holsters on the market. I've owned one and it looked like I stuffed a phone book down my pants. It may work for a few people but it's a poor design imo. The clip placement over the mag causes printing.

Don't believe me, just check out this photo from the sidecar clan and count how many guns you can see.
the three guys that look like they have phonebooks stuffed down their pants all use sidecars. It's not just me.
Thats interesting stuff, i havn't really heard much in the way of complaints regarding trex sidecars. Im really more of a JM custom kydex and dara holsters fan, since i typically carry full/compact sized guns and dont feel the need to carry a reload with 15+ on tap.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have two jm custom holsters (the George model and regular aiwb) and they blow the trex arms away in terms of concealability.

I've tried out a lot of appendix holsters. The thing about the sidecar is that it's made for a singular body type. If you look exactly like Lucas Botkin the owner of trexarms then it might work well for you. But I'm quite sure that anyone who can conceal a sidecar can conceal a jmck aiwb better. Our bodies are all different. Get a holster that's made to fit different body styles.

I also like jmck because I can use a neoprene wedge with this holster to push the muzzle away from my body. This helps conceal it better but also means that when reholstering that the gun never sweeps my body because the holster is tilted away from me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got my SG AIWB (not the plus just the regular) and it prints and makes my waist look bulky. Not sure if its my holster, my gun, my body, or my jeans but I'm debating if I should return this or not. Looking for other options at this point as well. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Just got my SG AIWB (not the plus just the regular) and it prints and makes my waist look bulky. Not sure if its my holster, my gun, my body, or my jeans but I'm debating if I should return this or not. Looking for other options at this point as well. Any other suggestions?
You cannot go wrong with dark star gear, custom carry concepts, jm custom kydex or keepers concealment. They all make purpose driven appendix holsters.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI I'm a 33 waist, 175 lbs, with a slight gut

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You cannot go wrong with dark star gear, custom carry concepts, jm custom kydex or keepers concealment. They all make purpose driven appendix holsters.
I'll look into those thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
the old version of Ravens ACR worked well,still use one to carry a Springfield Ultra compact 1911 sometimes....as far as T-REX...I'd use a dirty sock before I'd buy anything from that little git....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol I like RCS too but looks like they're not taking any orders at the moment. What's with all the hate towards T-Rex?! Inform me haha

Reactions: kristo

·
Registered
205 Posts
12801325_10153659989598303_8987712346140983238_n.jpg
Lol I like RCS too but looks like they're not taking any orders at the moment. What's with all the hate towards T-Rex?! Inform me haha
He had made some comments about "how he shoots better than a CAG operator" I have one friend that works for Magnetospeed and another that is one of the main guys at Fire4effect weapons.....they had posted on facebook a conversation with the guy...were he made the statements...I'm trying to find it so I can post the screen cap of it..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea he does sound cocky and at the expense of the military...definitely not a fan of his anymore. Looks like I'll shop elsewhere. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
786 Posts
I like SG holsters except... that AIWB rig of theirs. Didn't conceal as well as hoped and I found the clip placement poor (single clip slide side) during a variety of activities. JM Custom are super AIWB rigs as are the Dark Star holsters. I'm 6'-2", 175#, no gut. My favorite AIWB is the JM George single clip with a homemade foam wedge at the muzzle.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea SG seemed really bulky and I didn't know where to move my belt buckle because of the clip (although they include a 2nd clip attached now). I just ordered an AIWB with a claw from priority 1 holsters. I feel like the claw is a necessity for me since the grip of my gun keep protruding from my body and prints. I'll continue to experiment with a variety of companies.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts